St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Hotel Croydon(Amsterdam)
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
1,355 results
All reviewsthe red light districtbar downstairsfree earplugsdam squarefemale dormsmoking areabed mixed dormfree breakfastbunk bedsawesome locationnoisy at nightperson roomcentral stationown bathroomlight sleeperyour luggagethe ground floor
Reviewed November 4, 2013

In a dodgy area with creepy men standing outside the hostel at night. Our windows looked down onto the red light district windows. The staff were not accommodating to our questions and were quite dismissive. The photos on the hostel website are misleading and rooms are actually quite old. Our bathroom had an awful drainage smell. The hostel is situated near a bell tower which rings every half hour ! Not safe or suitable for females. Not worth the extravagant price. Breakfast is very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Richard P, Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Hey,

It's a real pity you didn't feel totally safe in Amsterdam; the city gets a bad rep sometimes and has made a lot of huge positive changes in recent years. We take security extremely seriously at The Winston and our building is staffed with trained professionals around the clock, so we can assure you are quite safe with us,

Pity you didn't hit it off with our crew as well. They would have been able to tell you about just how cool and laid back this city really is. It's why we love it here!

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your first impressions of Amsterdam. Next time will be a different story we are sure ; )

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This is the 4th time im stayd in st christophers amsterdam and i couldnt say a bad word about the place. It is by far the best hostel i've stayd in and i've stayd in a few around europe. I've went as a couple and with the lads and its perfectly suited for both. Theres a bar/smoke room downstairs were ur guarenteed to me more like minded people to party/relax with. Im actually in the process of organising a euro interail for nxt summer and the place is that good im just gona stay in st christophers hostel all over europe!!! Also theres also loads of drink and foods deals that helps loads when your working on a budget so its def worth checkin out. Thanks guys until the next time!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very convenient location. Friendly staff. Good bar and food. Good to place to meet like minded people. Staff happy to recommend places. Clean and comfortable. We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed in the chick dorm which is separate to the rest of the hostel rooms. You have to exit the actual bar/hostel and walk next door. No hassle, except that I couldn't get in for breakfast and no one answered the door bell so I had to wait for people to exit.

As with most Amsterdamage hostels, there's no common room here, only a bar which hosts many a passing pub crawl. It felt like many people were travelling in packs and keeping to themselves - not so cool for the solo travellers.

All in all, it served its main purpose as a hostel for me as I was lucky to meet wonderful dorm room buddies to share the crazy city with and it was in prime location for the typical Amsterdam experience. Way noisy at night, but if you're out partying it won't matter. Hence, good for the partier (me!), but not so good for the museum enthusiast who wants to sleep (not me!).

The hostel is only about five or so minutes stroll from Centraal Station (but then add five more for the time it takes to dodge waves of tourists). It's a quick stroll around the corner to the Red Light District (just a few minutes away); a short walk to Rembrandtplein and about twenty minutes walk to Leidseplein and Vondelpark.

In future, I would only stay again if I was travelling with people. If I'm solo again, I'll go elsewhere to seek new experiences and a more solo friendly hostel.

Oh, and a dude pops by briefly each morning to recruit walking tourers - he's easy to miss though so if you do miss him you can just head to Dam Square and join there, like I did.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We didn't stay in the hostel as it was fully booked, but visited the bar on 2 occasions and had a very enjoyable time. The staff were very friendly (especially the guy from Harrogate) and the music and atmosphere were excellent.
Although we were the oldest customers by about 30 years we didn't feel out of place.
When we go back to Amsterdam we will try to stay here.
Also, check out the photo of the men's urinal!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple