“Great Hostel”

Ranked #16 of 228 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Hamilton, United Kingdom
“Great Hostel”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed in a few St-Christopher's hostels before, but this was our first time at the Winston.
It is in a great location, not far from the train station, and we found it easy enough. You are close to many main attractions, such as Dam Square, Red Light District etc and surrounded by bars and places to eat. The bar in the hostel was great with 2 for 1 on drinks and all the staff we encounter were really great and helpful!
I can't comment on food, as we were only staying here for one night before moving on, and we decided to have a bit of a long lie after the night before so missed breakfast.
The rooms are differently themed, ours having a big John Lennon tribute about the bed. The rooms are comfortable and clean, everything you really need!

The only slight disappointment we had was that the hostel chain no longer accepts their bed & bars cards, which used to get you 10% off your accommodation. Other than that we had a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Clean, great staff, good bar, good food in a great location just a short walk from central station.

We had private en suite rooms which were warm and comfortable and really good value.

When i return to Amsterdam this place will be my first choice.

1 Thank azertyuiop
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is by far the best hostel I have ever been to. The rooms are suitable - if you're paying hostel prices, you don't expect anything snazzy, but the decor is nice, the beds are comfy and the shower is hot and powerful. The breakfast is amazing. Free continental breakfast; I thought this would be a couple of bits of toast with some ham and cheese or something. I was wrong. There is a buffet, with ham, cheese, salami, different cereals, yoghurt, fruit, a selection of drinks, eggs, a selection of breads, jams and preserves - it really is incredible for the amount you pay. The food at the bar is also amazing. With 25% off if you are staying at the hostel you can't go wrong. It is so tasty, and you can tell it's not just some cheap stuff that they warm up in the microwave. 2 for 1 drinks etc, I would definitely go here again. It is right in the centre, only about a 10 minute walk to the central train station. Near to all the main attractions, lockers to use if you are there early or staying late after check in/out. Separate smoking area for those that don't wish to be disrupted. Very secure. A FREE nightclub next door which is actually really good! I didn't know what to expect from a Dutch nightclub, but the music was really fun, drinks were reasonably priced and 2-4-1 and it was a really good night. The staff are really friendly. I really can't compliment this place more. Definitely go here especially with groups of friends, you'd be a fool not to.

UK
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Having stayed in my fair share of hostels I have to say well done. Normally I avoid the big chain hostels as they can be hit and miss over the normal excellence you get at independents.

However, that said, this place was perfect.

Central - location couldn't be any better
Excellent staff - gave me a load a great recommendations
Amazing food - their burger menu was awesome and great value with 20% off
Great rooms - bed was super comfy, probably the best hostel bed i've ever had. Rooms were suitably spacious with really handy under bed secure storage for both bunks. Shower was really good, and having a separate toilet and separate sink really helps a group of 8 make quick use of the room
Breakfast - normally the free breakfast isn't anything worth bothering with but we were all pleasantly surprised by the decent continental selection
Tunes - great tunes all day long pretty much, expect for Sat night but thats just our musical tastes
Noise - could be a draw back but we didn't hear much at all - we benefited from being against a quite side street and as the bar closes at 1-2AM its not really an issue for weekend stays

Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Room 5-7 are great, further away from bar area and against a quiet street
1 Thank BackpackingTraveller
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Came here on stag do....for the price it was excellent, same with location, right where you wanted to be.
Rooms were good, hit & miss with shower strength, but clean & tidy.
The downside is the noise depending where you are, but ear plugs help.
Good bar/club as well which the hostel is above.

• Stayed March 2013
Melbourne
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Let me just start by saying this; I do not stay in hostels often, and had it been solely up to me - I would opted for a hotel. Due to the trip being more of a budgeted plan, I was pleasantly surprised with the Winston Hotel. I had stayed in a few other hostels around Europe prior to arriving in Amsterdam and was NOT looking forward to another hostel.

First off - the location is A grade. Perfect for people looking to do the New Europe tours (which I highly recommend as well!), as the meeting point for many of these tours in a 1 minute walk down the street. The hotel is located very close to the red light district, the best shopping district and typical coffee shops/sex shops if that's what you're in to - which I am not but it was never an issue.

Furthermore, I found the staff fantastic, friendly and welcoming. The bar was better than other St Christopher's I have experienced; well priced and food was very good for hostel/bar food.

The rooms were small - but again you get what you pay for so you can't expect lavish and large rooms. What you can expect is clean rooms with the amenities you need.

Another big PLUS is that wifi works in the rooms, which again I have experienced not having wifi in the actual bed rooms in hostels in the past.

My only real complaint or negative comment is that at night there was quite a lot of street noise until around midnight which is when it tended to die down. Not a major issue unless you are looking to have extremely early nights.

Apart from that small comment I would highly recommend this hostel and would happily stay there again despite my resistance to stay in hostels!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't attract too much street noise if possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank memoo1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here with my boyfriend for a 3 night break in Feburary we where given the Absoloute Dannys themed room and loved it, would highly recommend this hostel its so central with everythign on your doorstep, the food in the bar is great and the drinks are cheap. Where totally enjoyed our stay, the only think was our room was pretty noisy with the bells from the church 2mins away but not Hotels fault, it sounded like the theme tune from eastenders!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple