“Fantastic!!!”

St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Ranked #15 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Wow! This hotel is sensational! Fantastic rooms, good value, really nice people! If you are like me and you find this feedback after days looking for the perfect location in Amsterdam for a few days, stop here and book it!
A few steps from the Train Station and on a very tipical street, the red district is right around the corner, really well located!
Our room had all over the walls posters, the roof was painted in red and black carpets on the floor!!! Wow!
Everything was very clean, and the bathroom huuuge!
A very good breasfast too!
Thanks to all the staff for this wonderful stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sleforger

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in a private ensuite room. Room was very clean and tidy, showers were small but great. Breakfast was very filling and value for money is what this hotel is about. Staff are very helpful and speak great English. Got there a bit early but their is luggage storage which is safe. Room was positioned along side an alley way which was noisy at times but not a problem. The location of the hotel is close to dam square, red light district and very close to the central train station. At night their are a few dodgy people/ drug dealers hanging around the area but they aren't an issue and you just move on, so don't worry. Overall a great stay and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank touristillz
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We wanted a cheap hostel, but were willing to pay a bit more for peace of mind that the hostel wouldn't be totally crap. For a very good price, St Christopher's in Amsterdam was incredible in every way and I highly recommend it. It is in the most central location, a minute walk away to Dam Square, five minute walk to the central train station and on the edge of the Red Light District. It's on a very central road with coffee shops, bars, clubs and strip clubs next door. The staff are incredibly friendly, there is a very cool bar on the ground floor that it always packed and perfect for meeting people and very big discounts and specials on food and drink. The rooms are spacious, clean and modern. Highly recommended to first-timers in Amsterdam and if you want a comfortable, safe and social base during your stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alex-Lips
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed in a private double room for 4 nights. Hostel is above a bar and is on the outskirts of the red light district. So don't expect a quiet night! Breakfast provided in the morning is very good. Also good deals in the bar. Staff were friendly and all spoke english as well. Great destination for a fun trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lee P
Reviewed December 14, 2012

St. Christophers is a great place to come and spend at least 6 days. I just visited there and the staff is very friendly, mostly young adults that enjoy meeting people and making sure people have a good time. In our hotel, which had 8 bunk beds in it, had its own bathroom and shower in the room. the most comfortable beds ive slept in since ive began my journey in Europe. They make your beds everyday. Its nice. Delicious food with 25% off if you stay there. ( mexican salad, Kaula chicken sandwich, greek wrap, californian wrap, chicken salad sandwich and the burgers :))) 2 for 1 drinks specials. A very relaxing atmosphere with a "smoking" room with a pool table. If you want to spice up the night a little bit there is a bar/club right next store that is part of the Winston hotel. That makes it very easy to walk back and forth if you forgot something or want to leave your jacket in the room. I highly recommend staying here. I loved it. It is a little loud from people walking around in the streets, but you in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lindzloo29
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have stayed at a double room for just one night. Unfortunately, there was cigarette stub in the room and it was naturally smelling too much cigarette. Since the hotel is located in the heart of Red Light District, the location was too noisy to let you fall asleep quickly at your room. However the hotel is clean at overall; the location is very central, the decoration was cool and the hotel personnel were very helpful. Also the room price is very affordable for a central location in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have been to St Christopher's hostel in Berlin and like it, so this year I choose to stay St Christopher's in Amsterdam and recommended my friends (3 couples) to stay there either. But it was the worst choice for our whole vacation.
First, it was not safe especially for single woman staying in female dorm which I chose. The female dorm is not inside the main building instead it is at the nearby building that means no hostel employee watch. When I picked my heavy case climbed a long, steep stairs and finally got the second floor, I found the door of my dorm was locked inside! I knocked several times and waited outside at least 5 minutes, the door opened, surprising was a very young guy stood there and said I was cleaning the room and at the same time there was a girl inside wore her pants hurried. And after I came back in the evening, one of the roommates (A Brazil lady) told me the afternoon girl locked the door to make sex again after I went out. The unbelievable thing was they didn’t stop even after they opened the door to let the lady come in. And even more they asked the lady join them. The hostel didn’t do anything after receiving the Brazil lady’s complain about that.
Second I came there with my 3 couples friends. One couple stayed in private room in the main building offered me to keep all of my stuff and take shower in their room considering of no elevator, no locker in female dorm and especially boys could come in female dorm anytime. But what we couldn’t believe was the hostel employee didn’t allowed us although we showed our passport to them, explained and even promised pay one more room key deposit for the couple’s room. The worst thing was one of the employee tore up the couple’s room badge rudely when he found the couple gave one badge to me so that I could use that to get their room key from the front desk. He said this was for security concern. But what they did for female security and safety?!
Fair to say, the breakfast was good and the location is good for people enjoying nightlife in Amsterdam. The Red Light Area is just at the back street of the hostel. But for us, the location was too noisy and confused.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Christina L
winstonmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thanks for leaving a review. We learn a lot from the reviews left on Tripadvisor and they really helps us to get an insight into our guests experiences during their stay.

I'm sorry to hear your Trip was affected by other guests breaking the rules.

After the incident was reported to the staff on reception they promptly asked the girl who had broken the rules to leave the hostel to ensure her actions did not affect other guests stay.

As practise we do not allow visitors to any room and this is why you were also not allowed to enter other parts of the hostel. Regrettably we do feel an exception could have been made in your case. We have communicated this with our staff to help them better deal with guests problems in other situations.

Again thanks for leaving a review, Happy Travelling!