“Hotel Washington did not exactly meet my expectations”
Review of Hotel Washington

Hotel Washington
Ranked #269 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Hotel Washington did not exactly meet my expectations”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

It was a shock for me to find out that our room was situated in the basement and there was a very strong smell of damp and mold. I think this is something we had to be informed about in advance because some people are allergic to mold. Other things that made a bad impression: - the staircase that led to our room was very narrow and steep. I am an average height and I found it difficult to go down these stairs, and I can imagine that for a larger person that would be quite of a challenge. It appeared to me that the hotel did not go any renovation in a long time - the furniture was really old, and there were a lot of things that needed technical repair - for example, when I first entered the hotel door, the handle remained in my hand. The carpets at the entrance of the hotel looked really, really warn out. The room was not too bad and luckily the linen smelt clean and fesh but the towels deffinitely need to be replaced. On the desk there was a folder promoting the services of the hotel but when I opened it I saw some dirty smears (it is quite obvious that this dirt has been sitting there for a long time). Another thing that I did not like was the fact that there was hardly any daylight coming into the room but that is quite normal for a basement.

The things that I have enjoyed about this hotel are : - 1) the convenient clocation (a half an hour walk or a few tram stops away from the centre of Amsterdam). 2) The staff was quite friendly and helpful in providing directions. 3) The hotel is located very close to a famous restuarant "Cafe Loetije" - this place offers the best beef steaks in Amsterdam.

To summerize my review, this hotel is not a good value for money. It is pretty expensive for what it is and it would be more correct to classify it as a hostel rather than a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Angela T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The hotel Washington, while being in a convenient location has little else to offer. At 120 euro's a night I expect a lot more. Our room was located on the fourth floor in another building, a fact the receptionist rather defensively pointed out was in the booking terms. Once we negotiated the dark steep staircases and loose banisters I understood the reason for her defensiveness, this was not a climb to be taken lightly. Our room was small, damp and appointed with worn stained furniture. The tiny shower room was perhaps the best feature, however I'm not a fan of brushing my teeth while being squashed against the toilet bowl. The worst feature of the room had to be the dangerous exposed electrical sockets, to be honest I'm surprised that any hotel inspection would class the room as fit for paying guests.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tracey4845

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Fifty euro's for 2 persons staying for one night including a nice breakfast in a hotel located in the centre of Amsterdam next to the Museumplein is absolutely awesome! The hotelfurniture is dated but clean, and you have to be able to climbe stairs, but otherwise hotel Washington is a great deal you shouldn't miss when visiting Amsterdam on a budget. The breakfast with fresh buns is a treat! The rooms are also very quiet and the beds are good. Recommended by us!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gerrit V
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were recommended the Hotel Washington as an old-fashioned but comfortable place to stay near the Amsterdam museums. We chose the so-called Suite de Luxe so as to have plenty of space during our stay. It was neither a suite nor luxurious by any stretch of the imagination: there were 2 dirty armchairs, one broken. The stair carpet and room carpet were dirty, and the shower curtain was filthy. There was a kitchenette, which we did not need, but could not have used anyway as there was not even a cup for a hot drink, just 2 microwaves. The sheets did not fit the bed. All this for a final bill of nearly 600 euros for 3 nights. And there was a 4% surcharge for credit or debit cards.
The only good thngs were: having our own entrance (albeit up dirty stairs, past the hoover and cleaning equipment) which meant it was quiet; breakfast was decent, apart from weak coffee; the staff seemed nice. But this hotel is badly in need of good management and better housekeeping and some basic refurbishment. It could then be good as it is in an excellent location near the museums and trams to the centre

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Emily R
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've travelled to Amsterdam many times for both business and pleasure and have stayed at the Washington a few times. It's in a great location - quiet but within very easy walking distance of the tram line and also many of the tourist attractions. The place itself is clean and tidy, no frills but then the price reflects this. If you're looking for luxurious accommodation, then this isn't for you, but if you want a pleasant place to stay while exploring Amsterdam then I find it ideal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CheekyBarolo
Chicago
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I did a TON of research and read tons of reviews on places in Amsterdam, as I did not want to end up in a sketchy area. We traveled to Amsterdam in August with a family of 6 (all adults). The hotel itself was ok. The location was within minutes of the Van Gogh Museum and Museum Plein. The breakfast was plentiful. They had plenty of breads, yogurt, juices, and even had scrambled eggs upon request. They also have a small backyard area that you can sit and relax it. I read a lot of reviews about this place and read about the steepness of the stairs. I had convinced myself it couldn't be that bad and I am in fairly good shape. But, consider yourself warned, these are the steepest stairs I have encountered and they are small and each flight is very long. Consider yourself warned!

However, I am going to give 2 different reviews based on the 2 different rooms we had.

Review 1: The first room a 4-person room up one flight of stairs. This room was adequate. It was large and had plenty of space for 4 adults with luggage. The bathroom was large as well, but the toilet was a little finicky. The best part about this room was the large balcony that had French doors that opened to it. This room was completely adequate for a group looking for a place to eat and a quick breakfast before spending a day sightseeing in Amsterdam.

Review 2: The second room was a 2-person room up 3 flights of stairs. First, these stairs were killer. Attempting to get luggage up them was a struggle. Once we arrived at the room, it was hard to believe we had to stay there. This room was tucked away in the attic and had a small porthole shaped window. It was hot to put it mildly. Because of the location, the room has a very small bed (for 2 apparently) and had sloped ceilings. This room was ridiculously small and hot. When we asked the front desk if there was another room for 2 available, we were told that we should have known that a 2-person room was on the top floor. If my only impression of this hotel was the 2-person room, I would have nothing good to say.

Moral of the long story. If looking for a room for 2, I would not chance Hotel Washington. If you're brave enough to tackle the stairs for more than 2 people. this hotel was in an ok location and had a descent breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lindsey11
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This not a posh hotel, but it is clean, comfortable and in a very old and charming building with unusual steep, winding stairs, high ceilings and big windows. In our room (number 19) we also had french windows and a wisteria covered balcony.
If you are especially interested in the museums, this is in an ideal location, literally four minutes walk from the Rijksmuseum, but in a quiet, leafy side street. You can park outside but this is pricey, better is the park and ride car park at the nearby Olympic Stadium, about six minutes drive away (the hotel will give you a map to it) for 8 Eur per 24 hours to maximum of 96 hours from the time you get your ticket. The car park issue you with travel tickets for each person in your car so that you can get back into the city and return when you are ready - don't lose these as you have to hand them back.
Our family room was big and everything was kept spotlessly clean by the one or two staff on duty at any time, who do everything from breakfast, laundry, cleaning the rooms and manning the reception. but were friendly and exceptionally helpful. The hotel was full but we weren't aware of any noise from other guests.
Breakfast was nothing fancy - typical continental with a fair range of options and they will do scrambled, fried or poached eggs on request - but it was perfectly fine and plentiful, but with so many excellent lunch and dinner options available, it would be a shame to be too stuffed!
There is a tram stop at the end of the road which takes you into the town centre in around 7 mins, but you can walk it in around 15-20 mins.
There were one or two minor maintenance things needing attention - such as blown light bulbs needing replacement or a missing net - but to be fair they didn't bother us enough to even mention them.
I booked direct with the hotel and saved 7% on Booking.com's price and this also included city tax, which Booking.com didn't. I also paid by Visa debit and avoided the 4% credit card surcharge commonly charged, We paid £400 four a family of three for four nights which we thought was excellent value in August.
We'd go there again.

Room Tip: Room 19 is large and has a balcony