“Worth a stay”
Review of Hotel Washington

Hotel Washington
Ranked #267 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this experience. Great value and although a bit of a distance from the City Centre, this hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area where the staff were friendly, the room was huge and bathroom enormous! It was not the most up-to-date room but, for the reasonable price, there was nothing to complain about.

The breakfast was fantastic! I went through 4 options as there was so much to choose from.

This was a very pleasurable experience and great value. I would certainly go back again!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a road map to find this as you dont want to miss it
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fitpaulessex

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We visited family in Amsterdam and they found this hotel for us. We only stayed the one night but we would certainly return. We were on the top floor which was a mission to get to( the stairs are almost vertical) but it was all part of the experience. Sharing the bathroom facilities was not a problem. Everything was clean and tidy.The breakfast that came as part of the room tariff was excellent. A bonus was the Hotels proximity to the Museums.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

it's not close to the city centre, but it's convenient for the museums. It's located in a quiet, residential area. It's an old building and looks like a real Dutch house, but there is no elevator and the stairs are a real hell. They charge 5 € per day for internet and hide a local tax in the price they give in booking.com, which isn't the best of welcomes after you wander around a myriad of streets looking for the hotel. You also need to add tram tickets (2,80€ per ride) if you stay there

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I (mother, father, boyfriend, kid brother and sister) stayed at the Hotel Washington for three nights in what I think must've been their largest apartment. It comfortably fit six people - the two kids slept on a couch bed, but we two couples had proper beds. It also came with a piano, which was a fun touch as my siblings happen to play. The apartment had a kitchen and was equipped with pans, plates, and cutlery, which we found very useful in preparing breakfast so that we didn't have to go out for every meal. There's a supermarket not far away in the Museumplein (Albert Heijn). I received the room at a very reasonable rate as well as I went on Priceline first and quoted that price at them. We slept very well, as the hotel is located on a quiet street, but the location is within striking distance of the museums, which was exactly what we'd wanted. The apartment was located on the ground floor, which was very good for us because we had lots of baggage, as we were continuing on to Sri Lanka for six weeks. Be warned, though, that "ground floor" includes about five or so steps leading up from the street. The one downside I would say is that internet is a little expensive. But otherwise, wonderful hotel with the perfect apartment to accommodate our large group, and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The apartment is the perfect size for six people to sleep comfortably if they are comfortable sleepi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were in room 31 on top floor, up a narrow and steep stairway of 77 steps. The room was clean and quiet with a roof top patio but the outside sewer vents were next to the patio and the stench of sewage repeatedly blew onto the patio and into our suite. Not very pleasant.
At regular intervals our bathroom also stank of sewage but not sure where that particular smell was coming from.
The hotel is located in a pleasant neighbourhood and the staff were helpful. Breakfast ok. Would reccommend the hotel but not that suite.

Room Tip: Avoid room 31 4th floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Graeme D
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My favorite thing about Hotel Washington is the location: a quiet, residential area in the museum quarter, with great access to trams for getting from/to the train station and historic center. (A tram pass was great for worry-free commuting!)

There are restaurants nearby that aren't crammed with tourists, and the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh are just down the street. There's also a library up the street in the other direction where you can buy Internet access, in case you travel low-tech!

I stayed in a single, en suite, and it wasn't luxurious but was perfect for my needs; I think the rooms come in all sorts of configurations, some with shared bath, so be careful to check when booking. The one thing that might give pause are the steep stairs (and no elevator), so if you travel with huge bags you might want to think twice about this one!

Breakfast included a nice variety (don't be late if you want an egg, though!), and the staff was friendly, though not effusive. I was able to leave bags there for a couple of hours after checking out as well.

Bottom line: I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Hija_del_sol
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The room was very small but clean and comfortable enough. I felt that it was a bit pricey at 70 Euros but I suppose that is the going rate in Museumsplein in Amsterdam. I was forced to eat a lot at breakfast to feel that I'd got my monies worth!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com