“Decent clean basic hotel, but remember to bring some towels!!”
Review of Hotel Abba

Hotel Abba
Ranked #198 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool
“Decent clean basic hotel, but remember to bring some towels!!”
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Two of us stayed here for two nights earlier this month and overall it was fine. We found the hotel very easily as we got tram 1 from Central Station and it stops right outside the front door (the stop after Leidesplein). We had arrived early and hoped to leave our bags in their luggage room until our room was ready, but we were told it was and we could check in then (about 11am) rather than at 3pm, which was great.

Our room (#77) was on the second floor and faced the courtyard so was nice and quiet. (Some overlook the main road at the front and are noisier.) It had two twin beds in it, and private ensuite facilities – which was basically a small cupboard with a toilet and shower in it, plus a wash basin in the bedroom itself. The bathroom smelt quite damp but there was no sign of this – it was all very clean, just a bit short of space if you need to get dressed in there! The only drawback was that no towels were provided. Had we known this, we would have brought some but there is no mention on the website or the site we booked through. Having paid far less in other cities and always had towels provided, it just hadn’t crossed my mind that they didn’t provide them. So partly my fault I guess, but I do think it would have been helpful to say somewhere. (Luckily we arrived early and could go shopping, but it would be awful if you arrived late at night and didn’t have any! Even so, it wasn’t something I had planned to spend my holiday money on!)

The hotel is on the first, second and third floors of the building, and the stairs are very steep and curved, so you need to take care, especially if you have luggage to carry up (as there’s no lift). Having said that, I read about them on here beforehand and they weren’t as bad as I expected! On the ground floor is an Albert Heijn supermarket, which was brilliant, especially the bakery. (We got things to take out for a packed lunch, and drinks for our room.)

Breakfast is a typical continental affair served from 8-10am, but everything is fresh and kept well topped up so there is plenty for everyone. It’s self-service so you can have whatever you want. The breakfast room is bright and sunny with window boxes overlooking the street on the first floor. Also on the first floor is a lounge and smoking room. The resident cat also likes to sleep in that room, but she’s very friendly! It seems that most places in Amsterdam have a resident cat – hotels, bars, coffeeshops*… - to help with any mouse problem I guess? (*They must have some of the most chilled cats in the world! ;o) )

There was also a TV in our room (although you have to pay a 10€ deposit for the remote control at reception if you want it – it works fine without). The beds were nice and clean, really bouncy and comfy – we slept soundly. We also had a private balcony with doors both to our room and further doors to the outside, which was handy when it rained. Even though it was May, it was quite cold but the radiators could be turned o/off as we needed – which was great for drying our clothes overnight after we got soaked!

The staff are helpful and friendly. There was a problem with their credit card machine so we had to pay cash, but there is a cash machine on the ground floor in the supermarket, and a bank just along the road.

One evening I managed to lose the key to my case, but only realised this when I got back to my room. Luckily the finial on the end of the bed (bed post) came to my rescue and I managed to break the padlock with it!!

So all in all, no major complaints at all. We had been surprised how expensive rooms are in Amsterdam, but given that, this seems pretty good value.

Positives: Comfy beds, quiet rooms, good breakfast.

Negatives: No towels – or warning about this. Slightly weird shower head that spits water horizontally as well as vertically, but at least some water falls on you!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank liver_bird_lfc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Abba for 2 weeks in March. This is the second time I stayed here and also the only place I have ever stayed in Amsterdam so I have nothing to compare it with, but it is more than a good value. Hotel rooms in Amsterdam aren't cheap, however the rates at Hotel Abba are more than fair. I believe I paid 35 euros a night!

It certainly isn't fancy, but a great place to crash after a wild day in the Dam. Way better than any hostel, that's for sure. Fairly quiet and a great location. A lot of people like to stay in the Centrum, but the area the hotel is in is pretty nice as well considering it is just a 5 minute walk to the popular Leidseplein area and about a 2 minute walk from Vondelpark. The street it's located on (Overtoom) is a major road so it's easy to access public transportation (tram line 1 stops literally right in front of the hotel).

One complaint I here a lot is how steep the stairs are. No kidding?! It's Amsterdam - every place has incredibly steep and narrow stairs so if this is an issue for you (health-wise are just plain laziness) than you don't want to stay here as there is no elevator.

The rooms are fairly small, but the do have a TV which is nice at the end of the day. The hotel also has rooms that face an inner courtyard (as opposed to facing the busy Overtoom street) so if you have a choice those rooms are more quiet.

They also serve breakfast, which while very basic (bread, sliced meats and cheeses, juice, coffee, etc) is a nice touch as the same breakfast in Amsterdam would run at least $10 so over two weeks I probably saved over $100 easily. Staff is very friendly and helpful as well.

The hotel is smoker friendly, which in Amsterdam means more than just cigarettes! To be honest, I never smelled marijuana once though. You are allowed to smoke in your room though, so if you're a prude who doesn't like people who smoke marijuana, than you might not want to stay here - be forewarned. They do ask you to open a window though so as not to set off the smoke detectors. The inner courtyard rooms do have a balcony though, so it's nice to sit out there and smoke a fatty. They do offer wireless Internet, but you have to pay. It was 3 euros an hour, or you could buy a 5 hour card. There isn't a whole heck of a lot of free wireless in Amsterdam.

All in all, a great value for the money. Nice location, smoker friendly, breakfast included. Probably the only place I would stay while in the Dam.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank dazednconfusedinOR
london
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Stayed for a long weekend in January by myself and, whilst no luxury hotel, it was perfectly adequate for my needs, Convenient for the sights and museums and a direct tramride to the city centre, or about 25 mins walk to Dam Square. Albert Hein supremarket downstairs and useful little shops and restaurants around. Room was clean and warm (powerful adjustable radiator) and no problems with hot water, showers or toilet: although shared, always clean.
Breakfast from 8-10 was standard Dutch fare (cheese, ham, boiled eggs etc) but plenty on offer and you really could fill up for the day ahead in a very light and confortable breakfast area. Staff were pleasant, fluent English of course, and available 24hrs. My single bad was lovely and comfy, but an extra pillow would have been nice. The room itself was small, just a bed, chair, basin and table but warm and light and airy The wardrobe was kind of built into the corner without a door, but it was all fine, clean and serviced every other day. Only downside was having a room by the staircase, so was woken each morning by people going to breakfast, but I am sure I could have been moved if I had asked, it just didn't matter that much!
I have stayed in lots of Amsterdam hotels and this is perfectly fine in my opinion for the budget traveller, especially first time visitors who want to see the sights and have friendly staff on hand for help and advice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank LondonPaul
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Central location. Walking distance to many cultural and historic sites.
We've got a Room in the top floor.
Lots of stairs but a big room, clean and very quite.
Breakfast is ok.
Big Supermarket downstairs is a great plus.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank faricas
Dublin
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Just literally got back from Amsterdam and I have to say I was so suprised at how nice this hotal was. The staff were so nice and helpful. Didn't avail of breakfast...but heard good things. The location is excellent, the tram to central is right out side. The only down side is the stairs...especially if you've been engaging in the local culture!. But theres a great supermarket just next door and lots of coffee shops, cafes and restaurants near by. The staff seem more then happy yo help you find your way around. The room and bathroom was clean and the beds are so comfortable. I'd definitley stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Traveled to Amsterdam with my best friend. Looking for a place to pass out after museum-hopping and partying, and this was the perfect place. Not luxury by any means, but a great place to sleep! Comfortable bed and hot shower. Daniel at the front desk was awesome - got us into our room early, and gave us directions to a concert we had tickets for, and also to sites of interest such as the Mellow Yellow (best coffee shop we visited!). Lots of maps and info available at front desk. Great breakfast. After leaving Amsterdam I heard the Overtoom area is kind of seedy, but I never felt unsafe (& I'm a 5'2" female). Anyway, the Abba is great. Walking distance to Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh. Longer walk to Anne Frank House, but totally worth it!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New Stanton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Stayed here alone during a 3 day trip right before Christmas. If you don't want to read on, in short, this hotel is great. When I arrived in Amsterdam after an overnight flight from the USA, I was extremely tired and just wanted to rest in my hotel room. My arrival time, however, was pre-dawn and by the time I made my way to Hotel Abba it was only about 10am which was well before their check-in time of what I believe was 3pm. I went up anyway and asked if I could check-in early and the man at the desk was very accommodating, he checked to make sure my room was cleaned and then quickly got me inside. Room itself was very clean and though small and without en-suite bathrooms, it did have a hot and cold hand sink and opened out to a common balcony. Common bathroom and shower was clean and I never had a problem there. Hotel Abba does have a free breakfast every morning, but I never did end up going down and eating breakfast. Also, a grocery store entrance is located about 5 feet from the hotel's entrance which is very convenient if you don't want to go far (although there is other food on Overtoom) or the weather is bad. I walked throughout my stay in Amsterdam but I do know trams run up and down Overtoom and there is a stop right in front of the hotel. Abba is also one of the very few hotels in Amsterdam that still allows smoking, although fire alarms in the rooms are posted with a sign that claims a 1000 euro fine for setting it off (as I said before my room had a balcony you can go out on, but just opening the balcony doors a bit was sufficient to not set off alarms).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo