“Low rates......high quality”

Ranked #198 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
New Stanton, Pennsylvania
“Low rates......high quality”
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Stayed here alone during a 3 day trip right before Christmas. If you don't want to read on, in short, this hotel is great. When I arrived in Amsterdam after an overnight flight from the USA, I was extremely tired and just wanted to rest in my hotel room. My arrival time, however, was pre-dawn and by the time I made my way to Hotel Abba it was only about 10am which was well before their check-in time of what I believe was 3pm. I went up anyway and asked if I could check-in early and the man at the desk was very accommodating, he checked to make sure my room was cleaned and then quickly got me inside. Room itself was very clean and though small and without en-suite bathrooms, it did have a hot and cold hand sink and opened out to a common balcony. Common bathroom and shower was clean and I never had a problem there. Hotel Abba does have a free breakfast every morning, but I never did end up going down and eating breakfast. Also, a grocery store entrance is located about 5 feet from the hotel's entrance which is very convenient if you don't want to go far (although there is other food on Overtoom) or the weather is bad. I walked throughout my stay in Amsterdam but I do know trams run up and down Overtoom and there is a stop right in front of the hotel. Abba is also one of the very few hotels in Amsterdam that still allows smoking, although fire alarms in the rooms are posted with a sign that claims a 1000 euro fine for setting it off (as I said before my room had a balcony you can go out on, but just opening the balcony doors a bit was sufficient to not set off alarms).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I realize this is a budget hotel but I've gotten great deals before without sacrificing basic quality. This hotel was disgusting. The rooms were tiny, I could touch both walls with my hands extended, and the walls were paperthin. I was put in between two couples travelling together and got very little sleep, even with earplugs. I could hear every word they said. I could also smell every joint they smoked - which was apparently at an hourly interval. I have no problem with people smoking pot but it was pervasive and constant. The only ventilation was achieved by opening my patio doors, which opened onto a common patio so it wasn't feasible for me, a solo female, to leave them open at night. Thus, despite the moderate temps outside, I slept in a very warm, pot-infused, noisy environment. Had it not been my first couple of nights after landing, I would not have slept at all. The breakfast was so-so. The management and other staff were not particularly helpful in that I was not offerred any assistance in climbing the crazy steep Amsterdam stairs with my luggage. The room was filthy - hair on the walls, debris on the floor, let's not even talk about the sheets. The common toilet and shower were slightly cleaner but not by much. I will never stay here again and will steer people clear of it when possible. So, if you're looking to save money, this might be for you, but I imagine there are better deals out there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank jeamon

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights on a budget trip back in June 2007. Spent about 55 EUR per night for a single room with breakfast. I had to go through small stair case to reach the room.The room was small, carpeted, but 'quite' clean. There was a single bed, a cloth hanger, and that's it. The toilet is separated from the shower. I found different person everytime I went to the reception, but generally all were very helpfull. Nothing special with the breakfast, bread, butter, ham, cereal, etc - but since it's included in the room rate, it was OK.

The location is a little bit out of the city center, although Amsterdam is not a big city. I had the "I Amsterdam" card, so travelling was not a problem. There's a tram stop just outside the hotel. I would recommend this hotel if you're travelling in a budget.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
DreamingPineapple
Reviewed August 23, 2009

The toronto man at the reception desk was very unfriendly - made multiple snarky comments about our "uncivilized" country of origin. It calls itself a hotel, but it is more akin to a bad hostel. Rooms were very small and exceedingly hot - but if you open the windows to let in some air, you won't be able to sleep in past 6am because of all of the noise. Bathrooms were communal. Warning: the stairs are extremely steep; if you have limited mobility, this "hotel" will be impossible for you. Definitely not worth the 90 euros - stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
England
Reviewed January 28, 2009

I was upgraded to a twin room from the pe-booked single at no extra cost.
Room just adequately furnished, but clean and warm.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Bathroom shared with one other room.
No washbasin in room.
Breakfast goodish - plenty but a bit unimaginative.
A bit noisy because on a main tram route.
Close to main museums, Vondel Park and Leidseplein.

• Liked — Price, cleanliness, warmth, good staff
  • Disliked — Street noise. No washing facilities in room.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank ComfortseekerEngland
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We were on the top floor, so we had to carry suitcases up four flights of steep stairs. The shared shower/toilet with one other room was a surprise. Otherwise, breakfast, service, welcome, advice and safe deposit box were very good. We chose the hotel because it was the only one with a reasonable price for our visit. As advertised, we had to pay by cash in advance.

• Liked — Staff friendliness and advice
  • Disliked — Stairs, shared shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in late May. We were on the next to the highest floor and the stairway is very steep. Located right at a tram stop so that is the best way to get to the hotel from the train station. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was included. The room included a double bed, bed end tables, closet, table, 2 chairs and TV. The window looked out onto a courtyard. The bathroom included a sink, toilet and compact shower. The weather was warm and with the window open it was rather smokey during the evening. The hotel is within walking distance of many tourist sites and located right over a grocery store. We booked by email about 3 months prior to our stay and paid 85 Euro per night including breakfast. It was a good value for the price.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Would have liked a fan to help cool.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple