“Very average”
Review of Hotel Abba

Hotel Abba
Ranked #188 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I booked this hotel after seeing good reviews and a decent budget price. We arrived in the reception area which is bright and nice (as in the photos) and thought we were on to a winner. As with everywhere in Amsterdam, there were a few flights of stairs to access the room. But when we were shown into the room, what a let down! Not only was it dark, tiny space (glad I'm not claustrophobic) but it STUNK! I understand that people go to Amsterdam to smoke, but to have it ingrained in the sheets, carpet, and curtains was horrible. The bathroom had a different smell though - WEE. Even leaving the window open all day, every day would not get rid of the smell and it wasn't nice to come back to after all long day walking around. When we arrived home, all the clothes stunk of damp smoke, awful.
On the plus side, the breakfast was nice. Toast, hams and cheese, fruit (some days), coffee, tea, juice. The location is good for the price. It took 5 minutes to walk to Leidseplein which has bars and restaurants. To get to the central station/docks area is a long walk to do every day but I imagine this wouldn't be so bad in better Summer weather.

Room Tip: book this hotel if you don't care about the room, and if you smoke already.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bearearth

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Perfectly ok if you are using it as a base - near the centre, convenient for airport (metro to Laayland and then train to Schipol). The stairs are daunting but you get used to them. Supermarket downstairs and five minutes walk into older part of city.

1  Thank ebenas
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I went here because of the good reviews from tripadvisor. The only quality of this hotel is its relatively good location. Our room stank of weed and it was not at all as clean as it is advertised on the website. I tried to refresh the rooms by leaving the windows open but it didn't do. The air in the room was humid and stinky, probably coming from the shower (although I didn't showered there). I just went there to sleep, anyway Amsterdam has plenty to offer during the night. But it wasn't a nice, restful experience at the hotel. I really don't understand why there are so many good reviews. I would recommend to (save money) pay more and get a decent hotel. Or stay in the suburbs and take a bike.

Room Tip: Rooms at other hotels are better. If you are planning to stay here just don't forget to bring yo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sergiu N
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Pros: great location, reception is great and helpful, a decent breakfast

Cons: shared bathroom, room reeked of tobacco smoke, TV not even worth turning on (not that big of a deal though), and quality of rooms clean but not quality, also not many outlets

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here for four nights, travelling alone. The staff were friendly and helpful when checking in. The first night, the shared bathroom was dirty, urine on the seat, toilet unflushed, no toilet paper (the bathroom was shared between two rooms) but I had arrived about 10pm, was tired and just went to bed. If I had complained it probably would have got cleaned, as it was cleaned the next day, and when the people in the other room had left it stayed clean. So it really is down to luck as to whether you get someone dirty sharing the bathroom, rather than poor housekeeping. The room was very basic, but very clean. A small complaint about the room was the TV reception was poor, and there was no remote control, but as I was out most of the day this was not really a problem.
The dining room and reception were clean and bright, and the breakfast was great, a buffet with a good choice on offer.
There were some steep steps up to the hotel, and to the upper floors, I didn't find this a problem as I only had hand luggage, but something to be aware of if you have cases.
The walls were thin, on the last night I was kept awake by a group of lads shouting and slamming doors so I would be wary of staying there at busier times, or next time I would recommend buying earplugs! Having said all this though, I paid just £35 or so per night for the room so cannot really complain too much.
It was in a great location, 5-10 minutes walk from town, and a tram stop to and from the station right outside the hotel. There is a supermarket underneath the hotel and a nightshop across the road. All in all I would recommend this hotel as it is cheap and a fantastic location.

1  Thank master_midian
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed here for the third time recently. Glad to see that nothing had changed. Staff friendly and helpful as always. Discovered what I should have done before, which is that it's easier to book directly through their website than do it via booking.com, who managed to leak my credit card details the last time I used them. Couldn't get a room for my entire stay, and the other hotel, while pleasant enough, made me appreciate things like Abba's breakfast the more.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I was slightly apprehensive to be staying in a 'budget' hotel, however I needn't have been worried. The reception area was welcoming, the rooms were basic but very clean, and the bathroom was also really decent (with a new shower curtain). So we were happy as soon as we arrived. Our double bed was made with pristine white sheets, and towels were provided.

The location of this hotel is brilliant. A supermarket and ATM just downstairs, a tram stop directly opposite, and a five minute walk to Leidesplein.

The only downside for us was that we found the bed extremely hard, and the pillows very firm, however this is surely personal preference. We did not make it to breakfast so cannot comment on this, but based on our overall experience we would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple