“decent, affordable place”

Ranked #198 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
usa
“decent, affordable place”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Amsterdam is very expensive and this was one of the few places we could find within our budget that had a bathroom included. I believe some rooms had shared bathrooms down the hall.

It's not luxury but you get a pretty decent place for the price. There's a supermarket right below the hotel, which makes it very convenient. Also a tram #1 stop right across the street. The room and bathroom were clean.

There's no elevator, only a very windy, narrow, steep staircase. The girl at the front desk was very sweet and helpful. There was another guy there who wasn't as friendly.

The hotel is very close to all the museums, about 20-30 minute walk to red light district/dam square. Also a few minutes walk to a bus stop that goes directly to the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here for the second time recently. The staff, who recognised me, were as helpful as they had been the previous time; the cat didn't seem to recall me, but you can't have everything. I had lost my continental adapter, and they had one; I couldn't see that what was plugged in wasn't the television but a table light, so thought the former didn't work, and they didn't tell me I was an idiot, although I was. Wonderful place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Close to the city center (and with a supermarket just downstairs). The building is old but the interior is fixed. We booked a room with private bathroom and all the fixtures were brand new and working perfectly. The room and bathroom were very clean. The breakfast is nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Clemente, California
Reviewed July 3, 2013

After 3 weeks in Europe, this was the least expensive place that I stayed in. This would be a fine hotel if I was still in my 20's or 30's and on a tighter budget. In hindsight I should have spent more money to get a little more luxury. As noted by others the rooms are tiny, the stairs are steep and shallow making hauling our bags to the second floor a pain.

On the good side the hotel has an excellent location with a tram stop in front. It is an easy walk to the Van Gogh museum, Rijk. Museum, and canal boat tour. There is also a nice grocery store below the hotel. Breakfast was adequate and the WiFi free.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor room, and one that faces the inner courtyard to avoid the noise of the tram an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cairns
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was so grateful to finally have a room to myself (and a double bed to boot) after nearly a month on the road sharing with my mate that I didn't care about the size, comfort or noise level the first day.

However.....the stairs would make this place difficult for anyone whose mobility is even slightly impaired. There is no lift for guest use so whatever you are carrying, including suitcases, needs to make its way up to your floor on your steam. We both had top floor rooms at opposite ends of the building. Three flights up near vertical stairs after navigating the initial staircase up to the building. I didn't mind the stairs so much but my friend hated them.

The rooms are basic - we got a double with a bathroom. The bathroom was small but not tiny. The room was also small but not tiny. Basic. If the window was open, the noise from the streets below would keep you awake or wake you up when the first tram ran. I'm not sure if there was air con in the room - it got stuffy but the window was adequate ventilation, however we live in a hot climate so are more adjusted to heat than many.

The number 1 tram stops right outside and that will take you right into the city, past many major attractions. VERY, VERY easy and convenient. You can buy a 2 or 3 day ticket (probably a week one if you are there that long).

The guy that checked us in and was there on the last day (sorry I forgot your name) was AWESOME - very helpful and friendly. All staff were pleasant. Breakfast was good and the hotel was clean - very spick and span (kudos to those girls and guys that lug vacuum cleaners etc up and down those stairs!).

If you want a convenient located, clean and friendly, budget hotel, then this is your place. I will certainly go back.

Amsterdam is FAB!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Clarkies_Travels
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago in 2006, I think. great place to stay for a weekend or a few days. rooms are average with a shower and toilet. Breakfast is pretty basic with a selection of bread and cold meats......you are in the Netherlands after all....There is a supermarket next door and loads of shops and bars nearby. It's a bit far from Amsterdam centre, but a tram is no problem.....they are right outside the door. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly. Just ask and they deliver. I was there in November, a bit cold and rainy, but the bed was cosy and warm and heating in the room. It's great fun going to breakfast the next morning and everyone has a hangover....you are made so welcome. give it a go.....well worth it

Room Tip: all the rooms are good......
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Payson, Arizona
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed in Hotel Abba in May 2013. I'm positively surprised at how well everything with the hotel went, because some of the reviews here got me kinda worried.

However, everything went great. Our room was plain but it had everything we needed, and the shared bathroom was clean. Being young and healthy I didn't mind climbing the stairs. I slept well - but recommend having earplugs in case you've got noisy neighbors. Luckily, we didn't.

• Stayed May 2013