“Not what I anticipated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Abba

You added Hotel Abba to your Saves list
Hotel Abba
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Overtoom 118-122, 1054 HM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #207 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Clemente, California
“Not what I anticipated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After 3 weeks in Europe, this was the least expensive place that I stayed in. This would be a fine hotel if I was still in my 20's or 30's and on a tighter budget. In hindsight I should have spent more money to get a little more luxury. As noted by others the rooms are tiny, the stairs are steep and shallow making hauling our bags to the second floor a pain.

On the good side the hotel has an excellent location with a tram stop in front. It is an easy walk to the Van Gogh museum, Rijk. Museum, and canal boat tour. There is also a nice grocery store below the hotel. Breakfast was adequate and the WiFi free.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor room, and one that faces the inner courtyard to avoid the noise of the tram an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairns
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was so grateful to finally have a room to myself (and a double bed to boot) after nearly a month on the road sharing with my mate that I didn't care about the size, comfort or noise level the first day.

However.....the stairs would make this place difficult for anyone whose mobility is even slightly impaired. There is no lift for guest use so whatever you are carrying, including suitcases, needs to make its way up to your floor on your steam. We both had top floor rooms at opposite ends of the building. Three flights up near vertical stairs after navigating the initial staircase up to the building. I didn't mind the stairs so much but my friend hated them.

The rooms are basic - we got a double with a bathroom. The bathroom was small but not tiny. The room was also small but not tiny. Basic. If the window was open, the noise from the streets below would keep you awake or wake you up when the first tram ran. I'm not sure if there was air con in the room - it got stuffy but the window was adequate ventilation, however we live in a hot climate so are more adjusted to heat than many.

The number 1 tram stops right outside and that will take you right into the city, past many major attractions. VERY, VERY easy and convenient. You can buy a 2 or 3 day ticket (probably a week one if you are there that long).

The guy that checked us in and was there on the last day (sorry I forgot your name) was AWESOME - very helpful and friendly. All staff were pleasant. Breakfast was good and the hotel was clean - very spick and span (kudos to those girls and guys that lug vacuum cleaners etc up and down those stairs!).

If you want a convenient located, clean and friendly, budget hotel, then this is your place. I will certainly go back.

Amsterdam is FAB!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Clarkies_Travels
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago in 2006, I think. great place to stay for a weekend or a few days. rooms are average with a shower and toilet. Breakfast is pretty basic with a selection of bread and cold meats......you are in the Netherlands after all....There is a supermarket next door and loads of shops and bars nearby. It's a bit far from Amsterdam centre, but a tram is no problem.....they are right outside the door. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly. Just ask and they deliver. I was there in November, a bit cold and rainy, but the bed was cosy and warm and heating in the room. It's great fun going to breakfast the next morning and everyone has a hangover....you are made so welcome. give it a go.....well worth it

Room Tip: all the rooms are good......
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Payson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed in Hotel Abba in May 2013. I'm positively surprised at how well everything with the hotel went, because some of the reviews here got me kinda worried.

However, everything went great. Our room was plain but it had everything we needed, and the shared bathroom was clean. Being young and healthy I didn't mind climbing the stairs. I slept well - but recommend having earplugs in case you've got noisy neighbors. Luckily, we didn't.

• Stayed May 2013
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Those are my two priorities when traveling so if you are looking for luxury look elsewhere. The breakfast included was okay, nothing amazing but when on a budget it's a nice addition. The room was a nice size in a clean safe location. I'd say its shabby but certainly not dirty. We had a pretty courtyard view from our window so it was pretty quiet.

We went summer of 2011 but I wasn't allowed to choose a date that fear back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hollydc13
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked this hotel because it was cheap and was in a great location (walking distance from main attractions). The room was pretty big considering this was Europe, but everything was dimly lit. We were having some issues with the faucet, and when we went to the front desk they basically told us that they couldn't do anything about it and that we would have to have it running all night until they had someone who could come look at it the next morning. Showers and bathrooms are communal and weren't dirty but not exactly the cleanest. For the price it was ok, but next time I might pay more for something better. The free breakfast in the morning is very good I must admit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

when we arrived i feel good..... it is in a nice place of Amsterdam: near voldelpark.. and walking in 3 minutes you can arrive at leidsplain. The rooms are not so big but the little park iinside is wonderful. you can stay there for smoke... just sigarettes.. ya.... and drink, is very beautiful.
the guys that work inside have kindly approach and verry pretty. the breakfast's food have much choice. ENJOY YOURSERLFES!!! ABBA IS GREAT!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple