“A Responsible Hotel in a Great Location”
Review of Hotel Abba

Hotel Abba
Ranked #186 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have not stayed in this hotel yet, my booking is for July, but I have already gained a favorable impression of the hotel staff.

I booked the room through Priceline/Booking.com which turned out to be a mistake. The room was not advertised correctly by Priceline (aka Booking.com). It was advertised as a “Pay When you Stay” room which the hotel was not aware of. My credit card was charged the day after the booking which came as a shock to me. Priceline/Booking.com refused to assist in cancelling the charge which aggravated me, denying responsibility for the way it was advertised and blaming the hotel for the misunderstanding.

However, the hotel contacted me directly and offered to rectify the matter in whatever manner suited me, which was quite a refreshing, customer service focused way to conduct business. I am now looking forward to staying at the hotel in July because I have full confidence in the management of the hotel.

I would recommend to others who are considering a booking with the Hotel Abba that they arrange the booking with the hotel directly. That way there will be no surprises. The hotel itself can be trusted, but many of the travel websites cannot.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank EnderbyLarryj

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I just spent the last 3 nights staying at Hotel Abba, and I cant fault it. I chose the hotel based on reviews here on trip advisor. About some of those reviews, I think some people are hyper critical. A budget hotel should be judged or evaluated by what it purports to be, its unreasonable to expect ritz standards at a budget hotel. As such the Abba is perfect. It's located only 1 tram stop from the famous Leidesplein but doesnt feel "touristy". I had a single room on second floor at back of hotel so street noise was not a problem at all. The room was small but clean and well equipped there was also a balcony which makes the room seem larger. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room was light and airy and well supplied with all the usual continental breakfast stuff. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Give it a try you might we pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jim_Ince
Reviewed February 26, 2013

close to the tram outside , great continental breakfast , clean rooms , supermarket joined almost to this hotel ., steps are very steep to get to the rooms , secure comfortable place and cheap for Amsterdam

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2013

It was better than I expected. breakfast was suitable. staff were friendly and ready to help. location was close to facilities. There is a supermarket downstairs and the tram station opposite to entrance. As you know the hotel is an economic so do not expect elevator, ordinary room service.... My room was on the top floor. It was quite enough but a little damp. I passed narrow staircase and reached my room on the fifth floor. I met no other guests however I was told this is the only available room at that time. Bot it was a double bed and I payed for a single one. The hotel has two entrances. one passes stairs and reaches to reception and breakfast room. The other has a separate key and goes to the rooms. Anyway I would stay there in my next journey to Amsterdam in the similar situation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

You you read the previous reviews you already know what to expect :The rooms are very modest and not very clean, smelling smoke bathrooms. Ok continental breakfast and location, easy to walk to all major attractions, if not just catch the tram that stops right in front of the hotel.
While in Amsterdam don't miss the canal cruise, walk along the streets and the local markets, it's a lovely, young and relaxed city, that I would mind living in.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ilovetotravel22_10
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I m happy with location and breakfast.. Staff also friendly but rooms are not enough clean and it is quite old. I understand it is a budget hotel but you can do it better with small spending. Internet is extra charge and it was 3 euro per an hour. Which century now!!! Internet is free all over the world..

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldenhorn34
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Agree with recent reviewers. As long as you are not allergic to smoke/weed and narrow staircases it's all good! Great central heating too. Clean rooms, OK continental breakfast, common showers and toilet clean enough. Also good walk-in rates - the same as with booking.com etc.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo