“Cheap and well worth the money!...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Abba

Hotel Abba
Ranked #208 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cheap and well worth the money!...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

I looked at pictures and reviews before I arrived at Abba Hotel. The pictures and reviews we're basically about right!... The hotel was excellent and if I didn't already know the 'star' of the hotel, I'd of classed it in a higher category! It had everything me and my friends needed for our four days in Amsterdam, as we didn't spend much time in the hotel, but the bed sheets were clean, the beds were comfortable (as were the pillows). Fresh towels were given everyday and the surfaces/ floors were very clean! We had a shared bathroom, which made the pricing of the hotel a little cheaper. However, I'd only recommend if you are going with a few friends. Not if lets say you and a partner (or friend) are going, as you will be sharing a bathroom with someone else. I was a little worried about this before we arrived, but was relieved when I found out we were all sharing!
As I know a lot of people have wrote here, the stairs are extremely steep!... You have to walk up steep ones going to the reception (catch your breath) and if you're lucky you will be on the first floor. Sadly me and my friends were on the second floor (there are three lots of floors). I think we'd have been found lay on the floor panting if we were on the third floor!
The supermarket underneath the hotel is idyllic; it saved many hang-overs and is reasonably priced! There is a tram stop right outside the hotel, it is a few minutes ride into the town center. If I remember correctly, the pricing for a 24 hour ticket is approx. 7 Euros (Which is very reasonable). For example, if we went out at 1pm on Monday and stay out the whole night, not only would be be able to use it to get back to the hotel, we'd still be able to use it until 1pm Tuesday!
I'd definitely recommend staying at the Abba Hotel... Cheap and cheerful! :)

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the first floor, as the stairs are very tiring! Also, if you haven't book...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank caths123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Got a double room with shared bathroom with a friend. I didn't realize the shared bathroom is basically one bathroom, shared with another room, which is this case was 3 guys. I thought it would be bigger with a few stalls and showers. But no. Even at least 2 of each would have been helpful, but then I guess they'd have to put all males and females in the sharing rooms. Made it a little hard to get in there to shower in the morning. We ran out of toilet paper the second day, fortunately my travel mate had a roll. We didn't leave it in there, don't know what those guys did. The bathroom got kind of gross by the second day or so, and the staff didn't really tidy it up and the paper was never refilled.

Definitely remember shower shoes. The drain in the shower was slow. No wastebasket in there.
The room itself was small but had what you needed. Not the cleanest but I've seen worse. Not too bad for the money. We faced out on the street. It was kind of noisy but really not too bad. You could hear the tram running but it wasn't a really populated area so not too much people noise. The tram flashes lights with the overhead cables sparking, so that might be a problem for some. My travel buddy mentioned this but it didn't bother me. The tram is right in front of the hotel so that is very convenient. Quick to get around in this city.

It's great that this is above a little grocery. Very convenient, stop in and pick up some bottled water and snacks. Also, they put on a tiny surcharge for plastic water bottles for the deposit. It's like 50 cents. Cashier explained to me when I looked confused as to why it cost more than the sign on the shelf said. There's a machine towards the back of the store where you can bring back the empties and get your refund. It won't take crushed bottles though, as I found out.

Breakfast is good, it's better to get there on the early side. Breads, sliced cheese and ham, boiled eggs, jams, cereal, coffee, juice. It's a small space when many people are trying to get food, and things run out, though the staff was very busily trying to keep up replacement.

Staff pretty friendly, nice enough. It was a pretty good deal overall and if I went back to Amsterdam, I think I might stay here again if I didn't want to try out another section of town.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the lower floor if possible. The steps can wear on you pretty quick.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sebastian0507
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

We have been to Abba 3 times for now and never got disappointed. Being very close to Vondelpark and Leidseplein, you can never get bored in the area. There is a tram stop just in front of the hotel making other parts of the city easily accessable. Also, there is a supermarket next to the building and a 24 hour open store for alcohol across the road. The hotel is clean, breakfast is good. Yes, the stairs are steep but all in all it is a very good choice if you don't want to spend your money for a room in which you don't spend much time except for sleeping. Ideal for friend groups.

Room Tip: Some rooms have lovely balconies. In some with private bathroom, the ceiling of the bathroom is open...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank chidem
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

Positives-the room was large and the beds comfy.
The price was excellent and included a very good free breakfast.
The tram stops outside and it is near to Leidseplein and Museum area.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

Negatives - the street outside was very noisy, trams and traffic. You need earplugs.
The pillows were lumpy and needed replacing.

Room Tip: Maybe you can request a quiet room?
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

We chose the abba for its name, and because it was only 10 euro more than a double private at a half decent hostel with the advantage of tv and ensuite. We were worried about the terrible reviews from 3 or 4 years ago but I think the place has improved somewhat. Entrance is steep and reception oddly placed. They didn't have a double room as booked - we ended up with a triple with 3 incredibly narrow single beds. We pushed them together in anycase and they were ok. Decent mattress and pillow. We had also asked for non smoking and quiet. The stairwell reeked of pot but once in our room it smelled clean and fresh. We were at the front of the building right above a tram stop which did wake me a few times, but not unbearable. Husband slept like a log. Room clean, bathroom spotless. Decent breakfast in a bright room - having smelt the dope in the evening I assumed the place was full of stoned students but our fellow breakfasters looked reasonably respectable. location excellent. If you're arriving by train at central station, take the number 1 tram from right out the front - you can buy the tickets from the driver- and it will take you exactly out the front of the hotel. Which, as other reviewers have said, sits handily above a well stocked supermarket. Overall I would go back if on a budget, but would try harder to get a double bed. Those singles are just too narrow.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank luckyfishsoup
Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Abba for 4 nights... It was one of the cheapest options that I found in Amsterdam. Of course I didn´t have great expectations about the place, but still it was disapointing.
I had to carry my luggage through the stairs since they have no elevator. The room was not very clean, there were some bugs inside and sheets were dirty. On the second day they didn´t even change our towels... and there was no toilet paper in the bathroom. When we were leaving for dinner we went to the reception and asked to put some toilet paper there. The answer was: "I´m all by myself here now, so we will put some toilet paper tomorrow"...
Location is good. Breakfast acceptable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank isabel_msoares

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Petah Tiqwa, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

it's cheap, the staff is very helpful, the breakfast is nice, and the location is great especially for people who wants to party, 5 minutes walking from leidseplein. it's cheap and had everything i asked for.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends