“Made our trip great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hortus

You added Hotel Hortus to your Saves list
Hotel Hortus
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plantage Parkln. 8, 1018 SR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Plantage & the East)   |
Ranked #235 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Made our trip great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed here last week with my friend. Both of us are only eighteen-year-old students, so obviously we couldn't afford and didn't want to stay in a grand hotel and spend a lot of money in Amsterdam. For the small price we paid, the Hotel Hortus was excellent and exceeded expectations; it was welcoming, clean and secure, with a great breakfast (bread, spreads, cold meats, tea and coffee all day, etc and you can have as much as you like) included in the price.

When we first arrived, a very friendly and helpful gentleman who works at (possibly owns) the hotel gave us some great recommendations about places to visit and even, at our request, marked them on a map for us. The places he suggested truly made our holiday and we feel that we experienced the best of Amsterdam thanks to him. Some other people on here have said that he "assumed that they were only there for cannabis" and that the staff aren't friendly and things to that effect but they must have misunderstood his intentions and the staff in general because we found them to be very accommodating, helpful and well-meaning.

The shared shower was extremely clean (and has a very good mixer tap system!). I didn't feel the need to bother with flip-flops as I do with most communal washing facilities. The toilets were also clean and our room had fresh sheets and a clean sink when we arrived. The room was basic but we didn't feel that it was lacking in anything; it had Wi-fi and TV facilities. Smoking is permitted in some if not all rooms as long as windows are opened. We were allowed to keep our bags in a back room until our room became available and we could have left them there for a while after checking out if we had wanted to but we didn't end up doing so. We were also given a key to the front door alongside our room key so that we could go out and come back any time we liked.

All in all, our stay in the Hortus was very pleasant and we would recommend it to any fellow students or young travellers on a budget. We did not feel that we missed out on anything by paying less for our room. If you're going to Amsterdam for the weed and beer or for the fine art, it doesn't matter- the hotel is great for everyone as you can smoke indoors there and there's no curfew, and it is very central (it doesn't take much time at all to walk to places such as Amsterdam Centraal, Rembrantplein, Dam Square and Leidseplein.) If you don't know what you're doing, ask somebody on reception. The staff are friendly and very knowledgable about the best places to go depending on what you're looking for.

Thanks for a great stay Hotel Hortus :)

Room Tip: I heard the stairs were steep, but I don't know because we stayed on the ground floor. Maybe thi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Imogen C

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Great location as its in a nice quiet part of the city and a nice 20min stroll and you can be at Dam Square. You even walk past a biggish supermarket on the way so you can pick up some supplies if required. Our room was tiny. Walls were thin. Corridor outside our room stank of weed at all times. Shared toilets were good, as was the shared shower. Stairs are VERY steep, but this seemed to be a common theme of Amsterdam!

Staff very helpful, although the guy assumed we were there for the cheese, drugs and chocolate and highlighted all those areas on our map. We would have found other things more useful to know but we used the tripadvisor app for the rest!

Free breakfast of toast, meat, eggs, tea, coffee was a bonus.

Room Tip: don't choose room 17
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank arrnoosa
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I want to highlight first that never judge a book by its cover. My girlfriend I were left a little baffled at the commencement of our stay. One hotel employee on our arrival asked it we came for the cannabis cup, to our complete ignorance not knowing what that was. Shaking us off a little as we are non smokers, we instantly painted a negative picture of the place. The size of the room didn't help us either. But as the title says never judge a book by its cover. This place grew on us like a bad cold. We left the hotel in absolute awe that the next part of our trip was starting. We made friends with some pretty cool people whilst staying there. The place is filled with young tourists like us exploring the world. Yes the hotel is packed full of bong heads but what do you expect from a budget hotel in AMSTERDAM, the weed CAPITOL of the world! So to Kelly, the lovely receptionist and 'mum' of our stay, thanks for making us all the more welcome; you are nothing but a complete asset to the place. To anyone asking if I would go back, most definitely. If you have children and a family then it may not be suited, but hey I've never tried. This place fitted the criteria for us. Ticked all the boxes and with free coffee and a pool table, you'll be up all night versing those Americans that think they're that good, at your game. Look forward to seeing you all again soon and thanks heaps for having us!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucachizz
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a budget hotel with less than EUR 100 , i recommend Hortus hotel to be one of your choices in Amsterdam. I finished booking the hotel then I just browsed and read the review about this hotel. What makes me astonished is that there're many positive and negative comments about this hotel and all of them are the extreme sides. I was confused about this hotel indeed. Anyway, I have booked the hotel already. I would check it out by myself. The result is that I had a good experience with this hotel! The hotel is small (as they position themselves to be the budget one) but the the room and hotel area is very clean and safe! The staff are friendly and they speak fluent English. I received recommendations about various tourist attractions and the online tickets to the famous museums, supermarket, "coffee shop", famous chocolate shop, train routes, canal cruise, etc. The room rate includes breakfast (hard boiled eggs, toast, ham, salami, jam, honey, peanut butter, Nutella chocolate, coffee & tea). The check out time is at 10 a.m. but you can still leave the luggage at the hotel. There's a small room for storage. The hotel provided free wifi and I could use it at the public area of the hotel and in my room without any problem. The speed is good and the connection is great! If you travel from Amsterdam Central Station (by train), walk to the front of the train station and take Tram line 9 (to the zoo) then walk back (same side of the road where you get off and turn left to the hotel). It takes about 3 mins from zoo station to the hotel. It isn't complicate to find the hotel at all. I booked the hotel without refund in case of cancellation so I enjoyed certain discount.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ancanu
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I appreciate that this hotel would not suit everyone, it doesn't matter whether you call it a hotel, hostel or BnB, we thought it was great value and would stay there again. Yes the rooms are tiny but they did have a wash basin, 2 chairs and a table. Shower and toilet were shared, but were very clean and we never had to wait. Breakfast was much more than adequate. The staff were great, not only as we experienced but as we observed their interaction with other guests. Hotel Hortus is within easy walking distance of the centre of Amsterdam but also on the tram line so it is very accessible, no need to use expensive taxis. For what we paid this hotel was great value.

Room Tip: Ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Piracicaba, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

A hostel well located and with a great service. All speak English. The hotel is near to supermarkets and good pubs. I have no complaint. Would I stay at this location again. I recommend!

Um albergue bem localizado, e com um ótimo atendimento. Todos falam inglês. O hotel fica proximo a supermercados e bons bares. Não tenho nenhuma reclamação. Voltaria a me hospedar neste local novamente . Recomendo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor, the top floor has 60 steps. Solicite um quarto nos primeiros a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seaford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I think they should change their name to B+B Hortus because that would better describe the establishment. Ran by an American couple who, at first, seemed friendly and helpful but then later became quite rude and ignorant. When my friend confronted them about a rat he saw in our room, they were reluctant to discuss it and treated it as not a big deal. Rooms are tiny with bunk beds and a shower; there was a communal toilet in the corridor. Location was fairly central however Amsterdam is only an average size city with all its attractions spread around the map so, wherever you are, you are a quick tram ride away from where you want to go. Would have found this place acceptable if i was paying hostel prices but not hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends