“Ok for Budget”
Review of Hotel Hortus

Hotel Hortus
Ranked #227 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Hotel is okay for budget and short stay. I only stayed for 1 night and skip breakfast since I have to leave early. The room is not very clean but the shared bathroom is clean. They gave me the room on first floor as requested since I am with big luggage and quick response on my email. They have a tea/coffee automatic machine to be used but not 24 hours. They have available PC at the reception.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hortus

Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed here as a large group, taking over 4 rooms, so ideal for a large group willing to share. The beds were surprisingly comfortable and the rooms warm. The stairs are alarmingly steep but saying that after a couple of days, you get used to them, even like us upto the third floor! The staff were pleasant and helpful, even getting out the kettle and teabags when we all piled in too late for the coffee machine (which was actually pretty decent coffee). The breakfast was a help yourself to toast, cereal, cheese and eggs affair.
The shower temperature was a bit random. You had a shower in the room and the toilets were on the landing - these were very small rooms with air fresheners but not always very fragrant!
The other guests could be noisy but that is to be expected in a hostel type room, turns out the neighbours were from the same town as us (evening all!) - so we know what you got up to and who you are!
On occassions, you got the whiff of wacky bacy being smoked in other rooms but then that goes for most of Amsterdam too.
The downside to this hotel, was the extra guest - we had left some "cookies" out and during the night, we could hear rustling and then we clocked a mouse! ..... I saw a mouse! Where? There on the stair! Where on the stair? Right there! A little mouse with clogs on, Well I declare! Going clip-clippety-clop on the stair, Oh yeah - I'm still seeing the funny side of this - to be fair, we saw no signs of mouse before this incident or after.
So all in all, if you are looking for a cheap place to stay with a large group, this would fit the bill. Just don't leave food out or you won't get the song out of your head.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Ok the stairs are narrow and neverending, but it's Amsterdam. The toilet door smashed a hundred times a night, but it's a cheap hotel. Gipsum wall divideng space into super tiny rooms, but's the guests are happy to stay not in the suburb. BUT a nonstop party taking place at night at each floor is too much for those not taking part in it. Screaming, braking glass, running down the stairs... An absolute disgrace! How can you call the place a hotel, even a hostel if you simply can't close an eye at 3 am? Guess what a receptionist said while we complained about the noise. She said that "people are allowed to make parties in their rooms and Amsterdam is a party town". Avoid at any costs!

Room Tip: Avoid 3rd floor. When people are partying upstairs, the receptionist can hardly hear anything. Or pr...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Krzysiek23
Reviewed November 30, 2011

That being said, this place is a bargain. It used to be a hostel, so expect to share a room if you don't make reservations.

If you're an American, this place is probably not for you.

The staff is friendly and a walk from whatever you want to see in the center of Amsterdam. You can walk to the Centraal (train station) if you're not lazy, especially if you enjoy the canals.

Did I mention its small? If it matters, then don't stay here. Personally, I'd rather be out and about if I'm in a great town like A'dam. You can hang out and talk to visitors from all over Europe in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Talk to them, tell them what you want
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I'd like to apologise in advance for the possibly excessive use of upper-case letters.

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights. It was SO AWFUL and uncomfortable, there was nothing we could do but cry with hysterical laughter. It was like we were in a situation comedy. First of all, the infamous stairs - they're ridiculous and treacherous. Can I suggest singing "Climb Every Mountain" as you ascend, it adds to the adventure.

We had a twin room with a sloping ceiling (under the roof) - meaning, you CAN'T STAND UP STRAIGHT! The walls were literally prison walls - white concrete with no pictures. The curtains were threadbare and had holes burnt through them. The linen, and the room itself, was clean, but the mattresses were so thin you could FEEL THE FRAME BENEATH!

All of this I could handle - unbelievably, I've stayed in worse - but what really got to me was the noise. I don't think I slept a wink the first night. You can hear people BLOWING THEIR NOSES in the next room. You can hear people USING THE HALLWAY TOILET. Every person coming and going throughout the night and morning was accompanied by a loud BANG as the door slammed behind them.

On a positive note, the people who run the place were lovely to us, helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank gjeva
Reviewed October 13, 2011

myself and a male friend stayed here a couple of nights ago for just one night. I had requested a twin room however we were given a double. seeing as it was for one night we could cope with this. we paid for the room then climbed the neverending stairs to the room at the top. There was barely enough room to swing a cat and it was in a bad state of repair. we both felt uneasy about staying here so we left our bags and left for the day.
when we arrived back we decided to sleep in our clothes as we were both convinced these horrible beds would have bed bugs. $50 for this room is really daylight robbery. I strongly advise to never ever stay here at hotel hortus. it really is a disgrace!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ketch1973
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Basic but Clean, Close to tram, walking distance from supermarket and cafes. Friendly staff, smoking rooms! (weed friendly :D). A good place for a short stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends