Warning, this post may be long but it tells you everything you need to know before staying in this hell hole!
Before I start, yes we understand this is a BUDGET hotel as the staff seem to stress so much when generically replying to peoples bad reviews but this is in no way shape or form a 'budget' hotel! I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a hostel.
Let me begin:
- First, upon arriving the staff at reception were so slow checking us in, painfully slow and had no sense of urgency about them
- When getting to the room (staying as part of a group) the room wasn't the biggest but that's fine, the bathroom was tiny, and the top bunk had no stairs to get to it!!!! Even a budget hotel would give you the luxury of having stairs to get up to your bed!
- That night trying to sleep was horrific, cold, noisy, and all you could smell throughout the hotel was the smell of marijuana, it wasn't just a little smell either it was a stench throughout all of the building, even though they have a sign in reception saying no marijuana that clearly didn't stop people and it is something that they obviously do not police.
- The next morning after a terrible terrible shower, If you could call it that, it was breakfast time.
Now don't get me wrong I usually stay in places that you get a free breakfast included which should be just that, FREE! Again the staff when replying on Trip Advisor say that they have a continental breakfast that includes juices, pancakes, fruit.....you have to pay extra for all of these things, yes you did read that right, for a breakfast that you have technically paid for with your room (although they again like to stress the fact that it is free) they charge you for a tiny class of juice!
- If breakfast wasn't bad enough they had a cat a real live cat wandering through the dining room/bar area and to our horror it wandered into the kitchen! Thankfully we hadn't eaten all of our breakfast so we could leave the rest. If it wasn't bad enough that it went into the kitchen, it was then wandering around on top of all the tables, we were both again disgusted and mortified! If that happened in Australia, you would get shut down and you should be ashamed of yourself Hans Brinker than you let this happen considering people have allergies and you claim that even though you are a budget hotel, that you are at least clean...well you are not!
The only good point was the location, THAT IS IT, everything about this place makes my skin crawl. This was our last stop in Europe before going back to London to come home and I must say that this place nearly ruined Amsterdam for me.
Before I get a reply from Hans Brinker for this, we have stayed in many budget hotels, and many hostels, you perhaps could take a leaf out of some of the other hostels/budget hotels out there and up your game, being the worst hotel in the world isn't something to be proud of!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hans Brinker, the cheapest, the worst, the best..No swimming pool, no roomservice, no pick-up service, no bridal-suite, no gym, no spa,no bellboy but cheap rooms, a restaurant, a nice bar, a club, 24 hour reception and 500 beds. The Hans Brinker Budget Hotel is the famous budget hotel in the city centre Amsterdam. It's located between the canals with a 2 minute walk to the famous entertainment area Leidseplein and a 5 minute walk to the museums at Museumplein. Public transport is nearby the hotel: you can take the tram to every direction in Amsterdam within a 2 minute walk. From Amsterdam Central Station take tramline 1, 2 or 5 to the hotel (in approximately 10 minutes at stop Keizersgracht). This budget hotel can accommodate individuals, backpackers and groups (students, scholars etc.). The hotel has single, double and triple rooms and dorms up to 8 persons. Each room has a private bathroom and lockers for personal belongings. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served at the spacious common area. There is a bar and an underground club, which is open every night till late. Free WIFI-access is available in the common areas. For the best stay in Amsterdam Hans Brinker provides tickets for many activities, bike rental, boat tours and other great deals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, HotelsClick and Odigeo so you can book your Hans Brinker Budget Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hans Brinker Hotel