“Very chilled out”
Review of Flying Pig Uptown

Flying Pig Uptown
Ranked #11 of 242 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Very laid back and cosy hostel, great atomphere in the common areas, also very clean hostel and good location

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank si_man2983

Reviewed August 7, 2008

I'd never stayed in a hostel before so I had no idea what to expect, I thought it might be dirty, a bit rough and unfriendly. When we got there I found the bar area to be clean and very friendly, when I got to my room there was very little mess considering there were 7 others sleeping in the room, clean sheets and a shower/toilet room in the room too. Stayed here for 3 nights as the Downtown was fully booked and the only fault I could find was the cigarette machine wasnt stocked regularly. Its based in a great part of amsterdam, right in front of Vondelpark which is very scenic and close to a tram stop so you can get into the middle of town very cheaply (€1.50 ish). I would reccomend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2008

The Flying Pig Uptown has a few things going for it and a few things against it. The Good: It's next to the park and the Van Gogh museum in a nice part of town. The bar in the basement is open late and has a nice chill atmosphere, good for relaxing after coming back home on whatever substances you spent your night on. The people who stay here and the staff are friendly. The beds are pretty comfortable, and everyone has a locker drawer of their own. Even in the 8 person room I stayed in, I didn't feel totally low on space. The Bad: Some of the bathrooms are beyond tiny. Sitting on the toilet my knees were touching the door in front of me. The shower is just a room with a curtain inside meaning there's not really much dry space to keep anything while you're showering. No AC, in case you were hot and wanted some air. Finally, the location isn't great, despite what I said. You are a 15-20 minute walk from the livelier more centralized part of Amsterdam. Not bad if the weather is good, but it rained basically the whole time I was in Amsterdam, which made me not want to make these journeys. Overall though, I good experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tomacco99
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Last year I stayed at the Downtown pig and was pleasantly surprised by the space. A lounge, bar. pool table, TV room etc etc. This year I decided to try it's sister hotel the Uptown.

First up - let me tell you that the hostel is quite far from the centre of town, this is fine in the summer because you're sitting right on the entrance to Vondelpark, but in the winter it's a long way to go from the centre of town. Saying that the Museums are literally on your doorstep.

Second issue is the space - the public areas are tiny and dark. The little area by the front windows is cramped and there are no other areas in the hostel to escape to. To be honest it was uncomfortable.

Third - the room we stayed in was a dorm with a sink. Which is fine except the toilets are outside (extremely cramped - knees against the door!) and the showers are downstairs off the main public area. Basically anyone and his dog can see you going for a shower all day, everyday.

Fourth - I know it's a hostel and you get what you pay for, but I think the beds could do with some individual lighting - I mean we got in at 8pm and there were already people sleeping in the dark. Also people arriving at 3am would just turn the lights on. OK - this happens in hostels, but i've stayed in hostels where each bed had a small light and that meant we could get changed, get ready without disturbing others.

Ok - rant over - despite the above - the staff were personable, the hostel was clean and the vibe was chilled. However the next time I'm in Amsterdam - it's the downtown Pig for me.

Peace!

Macca

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fatmacsgrillshack
Reviewed March 14, 2008

Wow. What a great place to stay.

We had a little trouble finding the F.P.U., mostly because we were expecting it to be in a dowdier, more commercialized area. We couldn't have been more wrong. It's situated right amongst a row of beautiful apartment buildings in a tree-rowed lane.

When we checked in, we were so pleased by the considerate staff. We were really moved (walking around with backpacks for days on end can make things more emotional more quickly) when we discovered that the girl who'd done our booking, upon finding out that we were on our honeymoon, had upgraded our room for free to the "honeymoon suite" on the top floor of this tall, gaunt building. They'd also left us a chilled bottle of wine. We were so impressed that we went out and bought a little fuzzy pig to add to their collection.

The next night, we moved down to one of the common rooms, but were still able to share a bed (they have queen sized bunks). Hosteling is never for the shy at heart - you have to get used to walking around or seeing others walk around in their skivvies. But, as far as having to share our personal space with other world-dwellers, we found that everyone was super friendly and in good spirits.

The hostel is run mostly by volunteer staff who are often, themselves, travelers from other parts of the world. Take some time to talk to them. We met a very interesting girl from Spain and had some great conversations in the kitchen.

The basement is quite loungy and comfortable, and there are some cool books to read. Several computers for use with internet access. The breakfasts were really super awesome as far as hostel standards go. Big kitchen area for putting together your meals.

The bathrooms in the rooms are super clean. The ones in the hallways are a little bit cramped, so if you're a bit taller or wider, you might have troubles getting in and out of these.

The only drawbacks are that people like to stay up a little late, and the music in the basement plays late into the night, but by the sounds of it, the downtown location is about 10 times crazier. Also, you're not super close to downtown, so you do need to follow the maps and transit a little more closely.

If you're sensitive to having to step outside your comfort zone (new people, loud noises, strange 'smells') well, then hosteling probably just isn't the shtick you should stick to.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, however. It's a great, chill place to learn to widen your tastes and experiences.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank queenlinnea
Reviewed February 28, 2008

This hostel was great! Everything was very clean, and although the bathrooms were small, they had these nice disinfecting spray stuff for the seats. The beds were small but clean, when it's cold I would recommend bringing another blanket because I was cold. The showers are clean, but there are only a few of them so get up early! The water was also surprisingly hot.

We stayed in a 13 person dorm room and had no problems with anyone. I brought earplugs, which I highly recommend. We brought locks with us, but they were too small to fit on the hasps. I went downstairs and they sold me two very nice locks for a very reasonable price. The sinks have both hot and cold water in the rooms, and the carpeting etc. is all clean and in good condition.

The staff at the Flying Pig is outstanding. We had a few problems with check in because they just started using a new system, but the woman at check in (which was at the bar) made sure that we were comfortable and brought us a round of drinks on the house while we waited. This was indicative of the whole staff. Any problems were dealt with promptly and courteously.

The bar and kitchen are very nice! The bar has the most reasonable prices on beer etc. that I saw, and everyone seemed really nice in the bar. The only problem was that it was so nice we rarely wanted to leave it, but we wanted to see the city! They have just about everything you might need for your stay behind the bar, and it's reasonably priced. The kitchen has many many utensils, etc. and is a good way to save money on food. Another way to save money on food is by taking advantage of the free continental breakfast. While we were there they had 2 types of cereal, milk, orange drink, water, bread for toast, croissants, hard boiled eggs, and a selection of jams, peanut butter etc. We ate the breakfast every day we were there, and while it may have been plain, it was free and filling.

A few things I read about in reviews and wanted to address.
First, the mice. A new freeway is being built and there are mice everywhere in Amsterdam, but the Flying Pig is doing everything they can to get rid of them, and we didn't see any, although we found evidence of them in the garbage can. All of the homes, hotels, and hostels have problems with mice right now.
Second, after three if you are checking in you have to go down to the bar and check in there. After three, you have to get to your rooms through the bar, which means you have to go down one staircase and up however many flights your room is from the basement. While this may seem puzzling at first, it becomes obvious this is for security purposes. It means that whoever is coming in is observed by the staff to make sure there are no problems. There are some people who get a little kooky when the visit Amsterdam, and this is a way to keep an eye on everyone.

We stayed here for my friends' birthday, and they took great care of her and us! I don't have much money to travel with, and the Flying Pig was reasonable and fun. Until I can afford a posh hotel, this is the only place in Amsterdam I'd stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2008

If your looking for a lads weekend in Amsterdam then this place is ideal. Cheap, no hastle of staff, laid back etc etc. Its within walking distance to all bars/clubs/shops... heinekien muesuem worth a look gd day out! Have a good time :)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends