“Good stay, good Amsterdam experience”
Review of Flying Pig Uptown

Flying Pig Uptown
Heidelberg, Germany
“Good stay, good Amsterdam experience”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The flying pig upowntown has a great location by the Vondelpark and near all the most important museums,it has a great bar and great people and is clean and has a free breakfast included that actually has juice and tea and fruit as well as bread and eggs (which living the hostel life I find quite rare) so that's a very good deal if you can wake up early enough for it.
There is a smoking room and a nice bar and hang out area, so for those that appreciate or tolerate that side of Amsterdam as well.

The flying pig uptown is a fun and central place to be where you will always make friends.
The uptown location is a bit quieter and closer to cultural attractions as well as the park.

Room Tip: I stayed in a 2 bed ensuite which I was very happy with.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LittlePegasus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Disclaimer: I was there in January of 2008

My travel buddy and I mostly enjoyed our stay at the Flying Pig Uptown location, but we did have a few issues. Our reservation was completely botched, even after showing our confirmation sheet with dates, etc. The staff were not very helpful in sorting out the issue, we wound up meeting a few friendly folk who let us stay in their room for the night. The rooms were clean and the rest of our stay there was just fine. I wouldn't say its in the best location, but we felt safe and the bar more than made up for it!

Room Tip: Go private, the more dorm-style rooms were pretty darn cramped.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnnaMaris
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at! More expensive than most hostels, but Amsterdam is a very expensive city for hotels to begin with, so relatively speaking it's a pretty good deal. We had a private room with shared bathroom, everything was nice and clean.

The staff are very friendly, and the bar/common area downstairs has a great atmosphere. Most people that stay here are nice and easygoing too, so it's quite easy to make friends. Ask the front desk about the pub crawl they're affiliated with, it was a great time and better value than most pub crawls.

My only real complaint is how narrow and steep the stairs are, which made it rather difficult to get our bags up to the 4th floor, so be prepared for a bit of a workout! I realize there's only so much that you can do in an old building like that, but putting in an elevator would make a huge difference.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank David L
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Wifi only at the lobby.My room is on the 4th floor,so not easy to climb up and down with narrow staircase.I have a big luggage and not able to bring up to 4th floor.Lucky another guy who stay there help me.When I wanted to check up is not so lucky.not able to find a strong guy to bring down my luggage.
Breakfast was told start at early time but never on time.
8 people sharing a room think is not a good ideas.I have to use touch light when I wake up early morning 6.30am,so that I wont wake up other who are sleeping.At night ,some "roommates" came back late after midnight will disturb my sleep.

Room Tip: Choose not to share with 8 or 10 people in a room unless is a group of friends.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hostel was great, above all there's a general feeling of warmth and friendliness that made three girls travelling alone feel very safe. It's in a great location, close enough to bus stops but you can walk to all the main attractions in about 15mins. Along that walk, there are several little restaurants where you can eat cheaply, saving you money for more exciting distractions!

The toilets and showers are small but they're really clean, as is the rest of the hostel. There's a bar which is reasonably priced and a smoking room. If there are party nights on while you're there, you should go! I can highly recommend them and they're a great way to meet the other backpackers.

The breakfast that's included is a great way to set yourself up for a day of amsterdamming. There was coffee, tea, toast with all different kinds of bread, cereal, boiled eggs and fruit. Not many hostels offer this so it's a really welcome touch. It does get busy though!

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Take a padlock to use on the under- bed lockers!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I really liked this hostel, my room was huge and extremely clean. I met other backpackers everyday in the common area and my room. Its a very easy walk into the main area but I thought it was a little closer I think I maybe got confused with uptown and downtown! Breakfast was great, like others have said though the stairs were a complete nightmare! Extremely narrow and steep. Hospitality was awesome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Flying Pig was ok. I had a private room with a shared bathroom. The room was small but fine if not in need of some redecorating. I had a small storage heater, a tv and a sink. The shared toilets were tiny but always seemed clean along with the showers.

The stairs up and down were very narrow and steep but that's a minor issue.

Smoking area was always full and fairly relaxed.

Breakfast of cereal, toast, tea and coffee served down in the bar area was nice enough if you can grab a seat.

I prefered the location out of the centre as it was quieter. A quick tram ride and you're in the middle of everything. Or if you prefer about a 20min walk. You can get a 3 day pass for around €16.

Staff weren't particularly accommodating except for one of the guys who seemed a lot more pleasant than the rest (forgot to get his name)

Overall if your after a decent priced place for a couple of nights it's fine but I will stick to a hotel in future.

• Stayed November 2012