“Great place”
Review of Flying Pig Uptown

Flying Pig Uptown
Ranked #10 of 242 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I really liked this hostel, my room was huge and extremely clean. I met other backpackers everyday in the common area and my room. Its a very easy walk into the main area but I thought it was a little closer I think I maybe got confused with uptown and downtown! Breakfast was great, like others have said though the stairs were a complete nightmare! Extremely narrow and steep. Hospitality was awesome.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Flying Pig was ok. I had a private room with a shared bathroom. The room was small but fine if not in need of some redecorating. I had a small storage heater, a tv and a sink. The shared toilets were tiny but always seemed clean along with the showers.

The stairs up and down were very narrow and steep but that's a minor issue.

Smoking area was always full and fairly relaxed.

Breakfast of cereal, toast, tea and coffee served down in the bar area was nice enough if you can grab a seat.

I prefered the location out of the centre as it was quieter. A quick tram ride and you're in the middle of everything. Or if you prefer about a 20min walk. You can get a 3 day pass for around €16.

Staff weren't particularly accommodating except for one of the guys who seemed a lot more pleasant than the rest (forgot to get his name)

Overall if your after a decent priced place for a couple of nights it's fine but I will stick to a hotel in future.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

It's a very cool hostel.
The rooms are clean and the common area is nice.
Bathrooms are small but quite clean.
The position is good, although "downtown" is more closed to the centre!
It's better to make a reservation!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A bit far from the station (30-40 minute walk), but close to Leidseplein, Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum and the square with "I Amsterdam", Hard Rock Cafe and casino. Hostel very clean and great hospitality! There is a pub open in the evening and a smoking area!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location and not much of a walk into town. Friendly staff and a decent breakfast is included. Always deals at the bar etc, I found the other guests clicky which is weird for a backpackers and the stairs are a nightmare after a few to many. But other then that all good.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Really cool place with a bit of character.

Great location next to Vondel Park, few decent coffee shops nearby, close to lots of bars and still walking or cycling distance from red light district.

We stayed in a 4-bed dorm that had 2 bunk beds and an ensuite. Room was very very small, hardly any space between the bunks. Was a struggle to have all four of us in the room at any one time but we spent the majority of our time out of the room anyway!

Ensuite had a pretty bad smell coming out of it before we'd even used it so we tried to do our business off-site as there were no windows so ventilation was an issue.

Smoking room was fun and the bar had good prices and a bar crawl left from Flying pig every night.

Free breakfast was really good and the staff were really helpful and friendly.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay but would have loved it if the room was a bit bigger and bathroom facilities a bit nicer.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 25, 2012

First and foremost, It is hostel right, so forget about comfort and those things. I think this place as a hostel is very good, probably the best HOSTEL I've ever been, It's really funny and it has a "special" atmosphere. I wouldn't definitely go there with my parents (Unless they're open minded) or with some business partners. But if your plan is having fun and having good memories (if you can have one :-D ) I really recommend this place.

Room Tip: We have really good parties there :-D