“Comfortable and Close to Town”

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station
Ranked #70 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This location makes for a great stay between the airport and Central. We stayed 2 nights and I must say I was very happy with our choice. The hotel is a quick train ride from the Airport and we were checked in early by a very Friendly Staff member. The room was a standard double twin room as we booked, super clean and just the right size overlooking the Train Station.

Breakfast was typical buffet, it was tasty and made for a great start to our days.

The super helpful staff never let us down with suggestions, we rented bikes and were able to check out a very nearby Windmill. Instead of taking the train to Centraal, we took Tram line 12 from the front door to the Museum District in about 20 minutes.

All in all, the location is great, the price was right and the rooms clean. I was very impressed by this property and will consider staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear ksugeog,

Thank you for your kind words. It always is warming to read our guests had such a good time whilst staying with us. Please rest assure you postive feedback will be shared with the team!

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station

Write a ReviewReviews (1,602)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have to say I visited the hotel only one night, so I write about the experience of one day. But already in the beginning its strange the mainentree of the hotel is out of order ( and looks like long time not used ) so you have to take a side-door near the garage. The lobby was clean and OK check in without problems, but the personal told me already at this time we are sorry but because so many guest are here now its possible the internet connection. In clear it was at all not possible to login ( connection less than a second so it was not possible to login ). At the room the carped needs a cleaning the walls some paint. The cups was dirty, means not used but bad cleaned and the spoons not polished, also the toilet was not well cleaned.

I cant write about the breakfast because I didn't tried it so I will not talk about.

Very good was the personal at reception nice polite guys very helpful and a big plus of the hotel. Also the bed was very good and clean this both points are the reason for 3 stars.

Room Tip: I will not use this hotel again
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Stefan P,

Thank you for the time you have taken to write a review on the hotel on TripAdvisor. I have to agree with you that in any hotel the rooms should be clean and that the difference is made in the details.

The city of Amsterdam is currently renovating the square in front of the hotel, once this is finished we expect to move the entrance to the more logical site of the building. Regarding the internet I am happy to inform you that an upgrade is scheduled later this month. Today, guests travel with many appliances they would like to have online whilst being on the road. For that reason the number of IP addresses in the hotel will be adjusted to supply with the demand from our guests.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the service as provided by the team as well as our newly installed beds. I am confident that, with the current upgrades taking place, we will be able to provide you with everything that you may expect whilst staying at a Holiday Inn Express Hotel.

Again thank you for your time!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have just returned from 3 nights at this hotel. The location is great, 2 train stops from the airport, and 1 stop from central amsterdam. The trains are frequent, clean and cheap. The front door is tricky to find, but as I had read here about it, it wasn't too much of a problem. It is down a flight of stairs at the side, and around to the door. You then enter, and take the lift from -2 to ground for reception. The doors are locked after 2300 hrs for security but there is a buzzer and you need only give your name and room number for entry.
Check in was quick, and we were allocated room 727 on 7 the floor, looking onto the train station below.
The windows in rooms open which is a plus point, obviously you can hear the trains as they come & go frequently, with the window open, but the trains are not an issue when sleeping or relaxing. The rooms are a decent size, although there is no wardrobe, only a 6 hanger hanging space, it is adequate for short stays. There are no drawers of any kind, so storage is limited to 2 shelfs or keeping your stuff in your baggage. There is no safe in the room, but the in room hotel guide explains safes are available at reception. There is a kettle and a small tea/coffee selection, but no milk provided. As there is no fridge either, we did not bother purchasing milk. However I would imagine you could obtain it via reception.
Beds are comfortable, springy with nice crisp bed linens. Although I was horrified that there are no mattress covers/protectors, you can see through the sheet to the blue stripes mattress below. And the large mattress buttons dig into you at times as there is no cover. I have never stayed in a hotel anywhere, and found no mattress cover. I had hoped that it was a housekeeping oversight, but even after the first night, housekeeping did not put one on. I did not dare to check the mattress for fear of stains and marks, that would put me off sleeping here. The bathrooms are lovely, quite roomy, and the shower is great. The bathroom gleamed and looked pristine. Towels were plentifull and changed daily.
The free included breakfast was fine, served until 10am weekdays and until 12 noon at weekends. The choice was a little limited, toast,cereals,juice,croissants etc, but as it is free, you cannot really complain. It was replenished frequently, well organised and fresh.
My main bone of contention about my stay was being woken at 0900am on Sunday morning by a male hotel worker banging my door, and when I opened it he wanted to know what time we intended checking out at ??? I told him we would leave at the designated check out time of 12 noon. We had actually intended on having a lie in, until this man woke us up. No apology for waking us, he just strolled off.
I liked this hotel, it's clean, fresh and comfortable but for me, the mattress protector and not being allowed to sleep late on my last morning are very negative points.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear suzysnoozy,

Thank you for your kind words and the time you have taken to write about your stay on TripAdvisor. I would like to apoligize for waking you up that early. Please rest assure that this will be addressed to avoid situations like yours in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel is located a bit ourside Amsterdam city so the hotel prices are more moderate then if you stay downtown. It is located in an industrial kind of neighbourhood however there is a trains station just next door which makes the commute into Amsterdam easy. The Central Station is only 2 stops away with the Sprinter (fast trains).

Also a good hotel if you are going to the Ajax Area - the Sprinter trains takes you all the way without having to change the train !

Small bar located at the lobby/reception, There are options for heating wok/asian disches, but there is no restaurant for evening dinners.

Breakfast buffet is good and plenty.

Rooms are spacious and with shower and a small bath room. Very clean.

Disadvantage is the elevators (2 pcs) which are slow and do not take too many people, so there is often a backup when you have to go/leave.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear EvaRasmussen,

Thank you for your kind words. It is very nice to read you had such a good time staying with us. You will be happy to hear that we added a third elavator last September.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We booked this location for a week because of a rate special and I was leery that it was just that bit too far out and going to be inconvenient for daily ventures into City Centrum where my son lives. I need not have been concerned - it was only a very short easy walk to the tram stop for city adventures and the Metro station was even closer for our outings to visit friends in Gaasperplas as was the train to the airport. Each morning we had a very good breakfast to start us off and every night we slept well, the sounds of all of the busy-ness around us were very effectively silenced /muffled and not a problem at all. I particularly enjoyed the step-in shower and the whole bathroom was modern and sleek and the expansive views out our window. The front desk helpfully supplied me with an ankle wrap when I turned my ankle. A recommended hotel in my books.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear KLsWanderlust,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind words. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We checked in past two day and stayed for three night.
Location was good as it is near to trams and train station.
Breakfast choice are limited as compare to other hotel we stay earlier.
What not so ok was the service attitude of dome of the worker. Room service group are but rough.they talk very loud during afternoon while they start their house keeping. Screaming from one room to the other. I actually wanted to take a nap and this is very disturbing.
Same thing happen on first day when we checked in, we we're give one of the room that they have yet clean up. Guess what?this house keeping lady scolded why do they give us room that they not yet clean up.

I think they need to brush up their service .other than that, the stay will be a good one.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Joey T,

Thank you for the time you have taken to visit tripadvisor to share your recent experience with us. Sharing our flaws enables us to grow in service and guest perception, for that I am grateful. Please rest assure to that your comments will be shared with our housekeeping team. Should you encounter a similar situation in the future with us or any other hotel, I would like to advise you to contact the desk directly in order to ensure a quiet and peaceful stay.

At Holiday Inn Express we serve Continental Breakfast which is offered to all our guests free of charge.

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences and we do hope to welcome you again to our hotel.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Situated adjacent to Sloterdijk station, this HIE property was wonderful. Good sized room, great shower room, pleasant staff and in a fabulous location for business given the convenience of connections throughout the country from this station via public transport. I had previously stayed at the Ibis about 10 minutes walk from this hotel, but will stay instead at the HIE going forward. Small touches such as the larger shower, tea/coffee in the room, make the difference. Also, breakfast is included, albeit an extended continental (no scrambled eggs, hot meats, etc.). The station offers a few different places to get a quick bite, or central Amsterdam is a quick train ride away. Excellent!

Room Tip: Unless they have oiled the lift doors, I suggest you stay away from the lifts to avoid random squeak...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear dgrbleu2,

Thank you very much for your time to write your positive review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station. At Holiday Inn Express we serve Continental Breakfast which is offered to all our guests free of charge, the same applies for our WIFI.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.