“Perfect location for business travelers”

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station
Ranked #63 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Perfect location for business travelers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was organising 1 day business conference close to Utrecht with people flying over a night before. The hotel seems like perfect location for business travelers. Less than 10 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes to Amsterdam central station.
And in the morning you just drive to the highway and of you go - no traffic jams.

The hotel is brand new. Much better than regular HI Express. Room is cosy, bathroom nice. If you come with a car, you get free parking in a garage.

All guests have free WIFI.

Lobby bar was just good enough to have couple of drinks before heading for downtown.

Breakfast was also good - much better than what you would expect from Express version of HI.

Stuff friendly and helpful.

Definitely a hotel worth staying at.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear George1133,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your time to write this review. It is always nice to read that our guests had a nice time and that they enjoyed our free WiFi as well as our free Continental Breakfast.

We would be pleased to welcome you back in the near future.

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend in october, myself and my boyfriend found the hotel convenient and comfortable for a weekend break.
This is my third visit to Amsterdam and the first time i've not stayed in the centre of the city, purely due to the cost for this last minute break, i looked further out for a cheaper hotel.
The hotel is right next to sloterdijk station just one stop before centraal station on the intercity train - after some confusion at the station in getting on the correct train ( this was due to a route change only announced in dutch) it was really easy to get to, the train will stop at Leylaan and then Sloterdijk and finally centraal.
As my boyfriend was there for work at a town just on the outskirts also, it was a really easy place for us both to meet as he jumped on the underground to the same sloterdijk station.
The hotel entrance is a little weird having to walk down some stairs at the side to go in through the back of the hotel - if you have heavy cases its not the best set up.
Inside the hotel is very modern and clean - the rooms are a little on the small side ( not sure if this was just the end room ? ) but very well appointed - great shower room, comfy beds, plenty of pillows , flat screen tv , window which can open. The only annoying thing was a strange noise we could hear in the room at night ...not sure if this was the A/C or water pipes ??
The breakfast buffet was a great way to start the day - plenty of breads and fresh pastries, toast, boiled eggs, juice, coffee and cereals which was constantly replenished.
In terms of getting into central Amsterdam i found it really easy - we only ever jumped on the 48 bus and it was no longer than 20 mins into the centre - the bus was really frequent - we never got back too late so i'm not sure if it run past mid-night but all the timetables are at the bus station to check. From centraal station you can jump straight onto trains and trams and ferries to a lot of places. The fact that the hotel entrance backs onto the bus station is a good thing when u return to the hotel after a long day walking just a few steps to the door.
If i return to Amsterdam i would consider staying at this hotel again, great transport links, really comfortable modern hotel and great breakfast to set you up for the day.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the quiet side not nr the train line. handy shops inside the station to get drinks...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LISA_LONDON82,

Thank you for your choosing us for your stay in Amsterdam. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. We will certainly share your kind words with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel.

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Everything else is great -- but the bed and maybe the internet.

Location: out of central amsterdam -- but easily accessible by tram #12 -- which is just a 2 minute walk. And there's the sloterdijk station with all other transport options. I felt it was quite a chore to get to / from the main city center though.

Parking: The hotel has 2 levels of parking in the basement. I think they charge 15 euros a night.

Rooms: New and modern. Basic amenities. Nothing to complain about. Nothing to rave about. We had a room on floor 1 (the same floor as the reception desk). There was no security to get into the hotel room section and that was a little unsettling for my room mate. However, if you got a room on another floor -- you'd have to swipe your key card to press your floor.

Beds: So uncomfortable. So springy. So hard. For a night -- it was okay -- but we were there for 4 nights. Not okay.

Breakfast: is included for everyone I think -- because they never took our room number. The great thing was on Sat & Sun -- breakfast ended at 12 noon!! Weekdays, breakfast ended at 10 AM. Great basic selection. Bread, croissants, cereal, coffee machine, hard boiled eggs (no other eggs -- I wished they had scrambled), hams, cheese slices, no bacon. For an express hotel -- breakfast was pretty good!!

Would I stay here again? Probably not -- bed was so bad.

Dear atanner100,

Thank you for your kind words! I am surprised to read you did not like our beds. Only two months ago we have finalised a complete swap of all the mattresses. Please be so kind as to let me know in which room you stayed so I can have a look at the bed myself. You can contact me via gm.amsop@hiex.nl.

I am happpy to read that you enjoyed our extended breakfast opening on weekends. Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

S.P.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is quite far from Amsterdam Center, but it is just by a train station about 5 minutes from the center. Parking was free, but finding it is quite tricky as the hotel doors not have direct access to the street. In spite of the small room, it fit for my trip.

GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear C_Toyo,

Thank you for your choosing us for your stay in Amsterdam. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. The location is indeed a good starting point for your stay in Amsterdam with only minutes to the airport as well as the citycentre. At this moment the local government is putting a lot of effort in Sloterdijk to make this area, with many offices, a bit more into a Green City Area (Manhattan-Central Park) with additional green areas, shops, restaurants and culture. The developments are already started and are great to see.

Again, thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your time to write this review.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a couple of nights for a friend's wedding. As a convenient and comfortable place to stay, not far from the airport or the centre of town, I'd highly recommend it. It's less than a minute's walk from the hotel to Sloterdijk station so you can't really go wrong. Breakfast is a buffet (free) with plenty of choice, although it's a but of a scrum if you go down at peak times! Free wifi is a bonus.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel_Pettigrew,

Thank you very much for your time to write a review on TriAdvisor regarding your stay in our hotel. We are pleased with the positive comments and really appreciate the feedback on things we can still improve in our hotel. At this moment we are looking to expand our breakfast areas as it can be quite busy at peek times.

Once again; thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We would love to welcome you back in the near future.

Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

As every one mentioned the hotel is very convenient, between the Airport and the center. I arrived around 8 pm from the airport by Subway, you can see directly the hotel but the signs are not clear at all. if you follow them you arrive by a locked parking garage door, the main door of the building is also not the hotel entrance... you have to carry down/up your bags to several stairs before finding a very small entrance and then take the elevator floors up to finally reach the lobby , never seen such a bad concept. The rooms are clean, and it was more or less quiet, the hotel is new so everything is fine , Internet did work in the evening but not in the morning. The breakfast is free but nothing special . I stayed there as everything else was full but I would not return unless i have too, better stay in the center for exempla at the crown plaza.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear SvenZH,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you had difficulties finding the entrance. The continental breakfast as the internet is indeed free. The continental breakfast is part of our Select Service Concept, the standard of Holiday Inn Express. I can imagine that this might be different from what you expected to a full breakfast buffet.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station and it goes without saying that you are very welcome with us or our IHG colleague at Crowne Plaza in the future.

Interim General Manager
Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station.
Bagshot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have to say the hotel and rooms are very clean but I was interrupted every night by noise. The first night was a bizarre howling noise when the door was closed. I called to reception to see if someone could come and listen but they were busy checking in a group and would be with me shortly. 1 hour and a half later still no one had been up or even called. I went down to reception only to be told it's wind and it happens sometimes, I walked past all the rooms on my floor and not one had the same howling noise that mine did! It was awful. I went and bought earplugs for the next night. I was then woken up by a weird buzzing noise. It was very loud and happened at completely random times all through the night. I did not have a good nights sleep at all during my stay of three nights. I will say you don't hear the trains though!
The hotel is in an extremely good location for the airport and Amsterdam Centraal station. I think the UK could learn a thing or too about public transport!
The breakfast is good but nothing hot is available apart from drinks. It did become annoying that there was nowhere to buy a decent dinner in the hotel but we did know this before we booked.
My other complaint is the wi-fi. It didn't work. This was one of the main attractions of the hotel! So frustrating.

1 Thank Jasmineint
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jasmineint,

Thank you for you review and honest feedback. I am happy to read that you noticed the cleanliness of our hotel. Something we work for very hard every day.

During the last week we did have some problems with our connectivity, and even though it does not help you at this moment, I am happy to inform you that these have been resolved. I am sorry to read that we were not able to assist you with noise that was in your room. Would it be possible to contact me directly via gm.amsop@hiex.nl so I can check the room myself?

Again thank you for your time and I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel.