“The clue is in the name...”

easyHotel Amsterdam
Ranked #207 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“The clue is in the name...”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel mirrors the easyJet flights in that everything is PAYG... However in our opinion that was great as we simply wanted somewhere to sleep.

It cost about 30 euros for a night which was very cheap compared to the other hotels we stopped in.

Room was clean, small, but had everything to you need to rest your head. Not really a room for chilling out in for long periods of time but then that's not what most people go to Amsterdam for :)

Room Tip: Just make sure you shut your curtains, if you visit you will know what I mean - peekaboo!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Danny v, General Manager at easyHotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear GemAndOl,

Thank you for your review.
We are very glad that you liked your stay with us and we like to see you back soon!!

Danny van Spall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The keys to getting the most out of this inexpensive facility are: (1) have minimal luggage that you can comfortably carry some distance, (2) know as much as you can about the city and where you want to be, (3) travel alone, as privacy in these rooms is non-existent and (4) be prepared and patient, knowing in advance that this is not the Ritz Carlton. As they warn you when booking, anything extra costs extra, including cleaning the room during your stay.

This is a minimalist hotel. There are more and more of these, (Citizen M in Amsterdam, MotelOne in Germany, Cabinn in Copenhagen, etc), and in every case I find them adequate for overnights, especially in cities like Amsterdam where regular hotel rates are insane. So be prepared to do without a phone in the room, toiletries, a bath mat, free internet, free TV, free breakfast, radio, alarm, tissues, hair dryer, wash cloth, extra towels, bath tub, water glass, coffee maker, or even a plastic cup. The irony of this, for me at least, is that if I pack all of this stuff I’ll need more room to transport it, so the “travel light” concept suffers.

All of this is, of course, minor. The fact remains that easyHotel is neat, clean, well run. It meets the “5 C’s” that I want in hotels: cheap, clean, convenient, comfortable and compact. Add in an “S” for safe and you have it.

The bed I slept in was very comfortable, the linens clean and the bathroom clean and big enough for me. Front desk staff was personable, helpful and a perhaps a bit harried.

Getting to the hotel, unless you have minimal luggage AND know your way around the city, is a bit of a trial. After spending several days on line, getting directions from several sources and looking at tram/bus/train/metro routes, I ended up taking the train from the airport and then a taxi to the hotel. It was a correct decision. Although there are trams right in front of the hotel and another tram route within a block, there is none that I found would go to and from the airport without one or more changes requiring walking with luggage and/or taking busses.

The lobby is minimal and a locker room behind it a bit worn. If you arrive before check-in time and have luggage the size of what I was carrying, (a large military style pack that was just under the 50 pounds), you will need to check it and pay 4 Euros for that. As in many hotels, you must check in at 1500 hrs or pay an additional "early fee."

The bathroom sink is tiny and there is almost no space to put your toiletries. When you close the shower door, the bathroom door is open (it’s the same door). The shower is large enough for comfort; there was plenty of hot water and water pressure. Unless you like the squeeze bottle "public" soap, bring your own shampoo, soap etc.

There is a small area with two hangers to hang coats, clothing and a space under the bed for the luggage. If you travel light, this works fine. If you arrive during wet season, as I have, drying out wet clothes is difficult in the small room.

There is a lift, so, unlike many small hotels in Amsterdam, you don't have to walk up narrow stairs to get to your room.

My major issue was the street noise from the trams and people outside. While the windows don't open, it was still noisy at night.

This is a safe area of the city and there are stores and restaurants nearby. Getting to the city center is a 10-15 minute tram ride, but once you figure it out, it’s not difficult. I bought a 5 day transport pass for 25 Euros and it is good on bus, tram and subway but not on trains.

Bottom line: I would use easyHotel again if I was traveling light. I recommend it with the caution that it is not for everyone. The price, however, is right.

Room Tip: Do your homework before you book it. It has some advantages and some issues to be considered.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank jjstives
Dear jjstives,

Thank your very much that you've taken the time to write down your honest experience with easyHotel Amsterdam.
This certainly will help other people understand our concept.

We hope to welcome you soon back when traveling 'light' to Amsterdam.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Before starting this review I should add that I'm a bit of a hotel snob (I have staid over 60 nights in hotels - mostly 5* and 4* - just in 2012 alone so I know a 'good hotel' when I see one :-))Amsterdam is a very expensive city when it comes to hotels (much more expensive for example than Paris) and we were very happy with what we got for 50€ a night (weekend price!).
We came back from a 2 night stay just yesterday and the Easyhotel was everything we hoped for.
The main reason we picked the Easyhotel was that we were looking for a hotel in between the Rai and the city centre (my partner was going to a party there and because I wasn't going I didn't want to be too far from the city centre either). The Easyhotel seemed to be right in between both so that was perfect ! We both love good hotel breakfasts so we would normally have picked a 4* or 5* hotel in the city centre if we were on a normal leisure weekend but as we planned 'late nights out' it was useless to pay for a expensive hotel and missing breakfast in the morning because of sleeping till noon...
The rooms at the Easyhotel were tiny as expected but everything was very clean and even though the bed was a bit soft, we both slept very well. Actually I found the beds more comfortable than the ones at Marriott hotels, were we stay often !
The walk-in shower was large, powerfull and clean and the bathroom space was more than adequate. People that moan about the lack of privacy should stay in a hostel next time so they can find out what lack of privacy means! (All the hotel booking sites show pictures of the rooms at the time of booking so people shouldn't act 'surprised' when they enter the room.) In fact these days even 5* hotels often have 'open bathrooms' so the Easyhotel is no exception.
Now to the 'room extras' : True that you have to pay for tv, but we never watch tv abroad, we can do that at home and if you want to sit in your hotel room watching tv when you're in Amsterdam I guess you choose the wrong destination :-) Wifi isn't free either (but it isn't in many other hotels either) and you can go online for free at many places in town while enjoying a coffee or beer.
A daily clean of the room is another 15€ but we don't clean our room/bathroom every day at home either so that's not really a problem is it?
Tram stop to the city centre is in front of the hotel and the area around the hotel has many good shops and restaurants. Safe too.I would recommend the Easyhotel if you are looking for a clean, comfortable bed and shower (that's the only thing we used the hotel for) in a good location.

2 Thank Delectatio
Danny v, General Manager at easyHotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Delectatio,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey at Tripadvisor.

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We are happy we could offer you a clean, comfortable and safe room for one of the cheapest rates in Amsterdam.

You review is very important to us, as your hotel experiences are extensive, so you can compare us in a fair way.
Thank you very much for that, and we hope to welcome you back soon when travel brings you back in Amsterdam!!

Skopelos Town, Greece
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have stayed in the Easy hotel in Amsterdam, and we were very satisfied with everything. First of all we have found a parking in front of the hotel, and because it was Sunday the parking was free. We have bought the next day a parking ticket for 27 EUR for 24 hours and we hve left the car there during our stay. It was safe. The staff in the reception was very helpful, and very kind also,but I think you can say it for all the DUTCH people generally. They saw us in the town with the map and they asked us if they can help us with the directions. The hotel was very clean, the room was much bigger than in other EASY HOTELS. Easy access to the city with the number 25 tram, which has a stop in front of the hotel. If we would go again to Amsterdam we will choose again EASY HOTEL! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Room Tip: standard room with a window
2 Thank life4u
Dear life4u,

We are verry happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
Thank you for sharing your experiences and we hope to welcome you back soon!!

Essex
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Value For Money.
To be honest though, i've never stayed in such a 'compact' room, but they manage to fit in a double bed, toilet, hand basin (so called because its the size of a hand?), and a walk in shower. There's a TV on the wall which costs 5euro per day, but that doesn't include movies etc. Oh, and theres a coat hanger on the wall too!
But it was very clean, quiet and the reception staff were very friendly.

The hotel is in the south of the city, so most of the attractions and city centre are a walk away, or a short tram ride, but don't let this put you off.

So if its a bed for the night, then the Easyhotel fits the bill.

1 Thank NatnDaveEssex
Dear NatnDaveEssex,

Thank you very much for your honest review.

We are glad that our concept was clear for you and that you liked your stay so much with us here in Amsterdam.

Kind reagrds,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Quite central in Amsterdam, nearby tram-connections to central station and major events. Walking / tram distance from major musea and concert halls.
The hotel is simple but clean and cheap. Small rooms , clean bathroom and all a traveller needs for a night stay. TV, storage luggage and so on has to be paid as extra but for the budget traveller or peple that just need a clean place to sleep this hotel is great value for money.
Beds a bit soft. Plastic cups for toothbrushing should be handy to be available.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AJdB_12
Dear AJdB_12,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review at Tripadvisor.

We are glad to read that you've had a good stay with us!
Please notice for your next visit that plasic cups are available in the lobby next to the coffee machine.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here for a week a few months ago on holiday with my girlfriend. It was the by far the cheapest hotel in the city that didn't have an "s" between the "o" and the "t", and that's what hit the spot for us: as a couple in our late-20s, the prospect of sharing a dorm (or even a bathroom) with gangs of grungy eighteen-year-old backpackers coming in from nights out on the tiles of Amsterdam did not fill us with much joy, yet the pricing of traditional hotels in the city would have stretched our tight budget to breaking point.

The easyHotel seemed to fill the price/service gap between hostel and hotel, offering accommodation within a private, self-contained, en-suite space, albeit on spartan, miniscule terms at bargain-basement pricing.

Our "bedroom" space was taken up almost entirely by the bed itself (which was large, comfortable and clean), with maybe 2m/sq of clear floor by the door for dressing, etc. The "bathroom/wetroom" was an area of the apartment, about 4m/sq, partitioned off from the rest of the space by semi-translucent frosted glass. This obviously doesn't offer much in the way of privacy - think of the shower scene in a movie where you can pretty much see the actress in the buff albeit slightly hazed out by the fog of steam on the glass: this is pretty much what the person sitting on the bed would see, two feet away - so let's just say I wouldn't advise trying to cut costs further by bunking with a casual acquaintance. It's okay for a couple though.

Everything is modern, extremely clean and minimalist. The rooms have excellent air conditioning/heating and are quiet; we heard no sound from the adjoining rooms and, at night, very little noise from the street. HOWEVER, at the time we stayed, the pharmacy attached to the hotel was undergoing renovation and it turns out Dutch builders are early risers - we were woken up by drilling/sawing/hammering from below on several consecutive mornings! Of course, I imagine this work is now complete, and judging from the rest of our experience, I imagine you'd have a quieter time now than we did then. The location is good - it's a little way out from the city centre, but it's walkable, well served by trams, and the neighbourhood seems decent.

We didn't have many dealings with the staff - just check-in and check-out, basically - but they seemed fine and polite: no complaints. There is no room cleaning service (or rather, there is, but you pay extra for it, which partially erodes the price difference between this and a traditional hotel room, which defeats the whole purpose of the tiny, super-cheap room), but who cares: tidy up after yourself or wallow in your own mess, that's life. In a way, I actually prefer this - I don't like the idea of people I don't know coming into my room when I'm out, potentially messing with my stuff.

If you are looking for high-end service, complementary goodies, meals, spacious rooms, and your every need pandered to, then forget it. But ultimately, this is Amsterdam, one of the most beautiful, thrilling, vibrant places on the planet; there is a world of diverse distractions in the city to keep you entertained, so if you're thinking of spending enough time sitting around your HOTEL to want for anything more than a clean, safe, quiet, secure place to lay your head at the end of an exciting day, then you are doing it wrong.

That's why I recommend easyHotel Amsterdam: you pay for everything you need, nothing you don't.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Krakenslayer,

Thank you for your, on the spot review.

It's a pleasure to see that you completely understand our concept and that you happy with our concept.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at easyHotel Amsterdam!!

Kind reagrds,