“Fabulous Junior Suite” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Amsterdam

You added Swissotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Swissotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 96, 1012 LP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #47 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fabulous Junior Suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2005

We stayed here in 2003 in a junior suite and our room was bright and spatious. Lovely wood floors, comfy king bed, oversized bathroom with swiss bath products and a great view of dam square with large windows. We really loved everything about our room, but here is the however. On our last night when returning to our room in the afternoon while the room was being serviced, from outside the room I saw one of the maids cleaning our coffee cups in the bathroom sink. I witnessed her spitting in the cup to 'polish' it up. Not sure why I didn't bring this up to management at the time as I normally would (in a rage), but this is preventing me from staying here again. I also was able to see a standard room that a friend was staying in on the top floor and it was nice as well, though smaller. It had exposed beams in the ceiling and less windows so kind of dark. Though I'd stay in one of those rooms if needed. Especially liked that we were able to check in early (10am) and were brought a plate of fresh fruit on arrival. Overall I wish I could bring myself to stay here again if it weren't for the spit thing. ...And the Internet access was 25 Euros a day which was ridiculous, but needed.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank travelotta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2005

excellent hotel. have stayed here twice. the 1st time in a suite which overlooked Dam Square, the room was huge and so was the bed. Chocolates and fruit were delivered every evening, there was a stero and vcr in the room.
The 2nd time i stayed which was March 05 I stayed in a standard room which was a lot smaller than the suite but again was very nice.
Defo stay here again I love this hotel.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2005

Really, really enjoyed stay here despite the snow! Location was great.
Can't wait to go back!

3 Thank star0186
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2005

Smashing hotel close to everything. Try and book direct with them as rates much cheaper. Treat yourself to the junior suite. I thought it was lovely! Will def go back.

• 4 of 5 stars
5 Thank CathBrad
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2005

We have just returned from a long weekend stay in Amsterdam, during which we stayed at the Swissotel. Everything about our stay was excellent. You couldn't have been in a better location, it was close to central station, red light district, public transport (right outside!), bars and restaurants and coffee shops! From the minute we arrived the staff went out of their way to be helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were comfortable and very well equiped, we were upgraded from a standard to a superior without even asking, and when we asked if we could upgrade to a junior suite the concierge managed to get us moved without delay. The junior suite was possibly the nicest room I have ever stayed in and even had a dvd player. Room service was also avaliable and the food we tried was very nice. We have already recommended this hotel to others and will certainly be staying at the Swissotel on our next visit to Dam.

• Stayed February 2005
10 Thank JEMJAN
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

I just spent 6 days at the Swissotel. This was my fourth trip to Amsterdam, and this hotel is by far the best I have stayed in. Situated right off Dam sqare, a couple of minutes walk in either direction to the Central station, red light district, shopping streets and coffeshops, this hotel has the best location available. Last time, I stayed at the Krasnopolski just across the square, but this hotel has a more charming and relaxed atmosphere. I booked a superior room, the only difference from a standard room being a state of the art coffe machine, a bathtub and a bathrobe.

The diner on the ground floor looks fancy, but turned out quite average, both in terms of service and food. Prices, on the other hand, tend to be well above average. Bearing in mind the vast number of steakhouses and small restaurants just outside your doorstep, I suggest you spend your time and money elswere.

At first I got a rom with view straight into next door brick wall, but when I complained and said I didn't fancy that view for a whole week, they swiftly found another room and moved our luggage over. The rooms are very nice with designer furniture, ironing bord, wireless internet access etc. The cleaners didn't miss a spot during my whole stay.

Nothing more to say really. I finally found the perfect hotel in Amsterdam, and it was more sad than ever to leave this wonderful, wonderful city.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2005

A lovely little classy gem 8 minutes walk from the Centraal Train Station. The area around it is a tad seedy, however once inside the hotel it is heaven. My non-smoking room was hugely comfortable on the 6th floor, very quiet, with a great King size bed and bathroom and an expresso coffee maker that could also make tea. They also offer free internet access to their guests in a cute little business centre on the 1st floor (2nd in North America). The rate including taxes but excluding breakfast was Euros140 and well worth it. It is handy to everything and has a couple of excellent restaurants next to it. The Roode Leeuw (The Red Lion) is next door and is a classic of good cuisine and a few doors further down is a good Indonesian restaurant (The Sukasari) that does a good Rijsttafel (Rice Table) which is a dinner that consists of 21 varied little dishes. Swissotel is a real find for comfort and convenience.

8 Thank Canadianknowitall