“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #152 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I just came back from amsterdam a couple of days ago and well, it was just fantastic. The service was amazing and the breakfast was good and our room was just lovely! It was so quaint and just more than I expected. Plus the location is beyond great - so close to everything!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. After the first night, I should have cancelled my reservation and looked for another hotel. Some of the staff were downright unhelpful and unfriendly. Some of the rooms smelled. I asked to store some items and the storage room was not clean. I felt unsafe on the first floor rooms and when I asked to change rooms, the response was hostile. Yes, some staff were perfectly pleasant, and it is an excellent location. But I would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MWK20142014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I am truly unhappy about the hotel singel. They made a mistake on the booking so that I could not stay there, they found me another hotel and payed for it, the other hotel was a €20 taxi out of town or a half hour walk, not in a nice part of town either. On The second day I was finally let into singel hotel, only to find the receptionist was very rude about the matter and told me I could not speak to the manager about any compensation for the taxi rides and any other inconvenience, I would of been happy with late check out. I was told to be quiet several times and argued with to the point I left the hotel early because I felt intimidated. I told the man I was arguing with that I will take it up with the office. All this made my tiny "Holliday" very uncomfortable!!

Room Tip: West chord city hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Nero245, General Manager at Singel Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear guest. In case of any inconvenience, we always do our utmost to take care of our guests.
Due to your own rude and violent behaviour normal communication with you was not possible and because of that the situation escalated. Unfortunately you had a bad experience with our hotel but we did have a very bad experience with you as a guest as well!
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for three nights midweek. It's a small hotel located in the heart of Amsterdam. Less than a 5 min walk to central station and trams. We walked almost everywhere- just one rainy day we got trams to tourist spots that were a little bit out. 24hr unlimited tram ticket is 7.50 pp. Our bedroom was small, clean and modern. Our room was looking out onto the canal which was beautiful! We slept great at night as the hotel is on a quiet street.
A continental breakfast each morning was of a great standard with a fresh selection of breads and cereals.
I really would recommend this central hotel. It's convenient and great value!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily W
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Clean & basic room with good bed. Mostly white furnishing, which make you feel less uncomfortable in the small space...
Helpful staff and good location.
Breakfast was almost the same throughout our 4 days stay.., tasty though..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JW T
buenos aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff,
Good location in front of one of the canals.
Red Light, 10 ´wallking; Central Station, 5´ ; Anna Franks house, 5 ´
Breakfast is very good, but there are not hot meals.
Avoid the small room 20, if you want to have a view of the canal; its not nice when you request by internet, a location with view to the canal, and when you open the window, you see a wall.
Price is ok,
I would choose this hotel again, no doubts :)

Bar in the breakfast room for some more socializing among guests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank arieldearg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

This review is based on my stay with a friend in Feb 2009 (Trip Advisor doesn't allow me to select the date of my stay any earlier than a year ago).

The hotel is right by Central Station (a few minutes' walk). The receptionists were helpful and courteous. We had arrived a little early so the rooms weren't quite ready, which was okay as it allowed us to have a wander around the immediate area for an hour.

Whether you get a room with a fantastic view of the canal or a view of a grey wall comes down to chance really. You can always request for it but I would guess most other guests would request the same thing. If you are wondering what my view was like, I've attached the picture. To be honest it didn't bother me too much.

Rooms were very basic but comfortable, and for that time of year, very warm. Location is very good as it is about a 10-minute walk to Dam Square, and roughly the same to the Red Light District.

We did not use any of the dining faciilies as we ate and drank out all the time.

Overall, very pleased.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends