“great location”

Singel Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #178 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The positives:-
Just a short walk from central Station and close to tourist attractions, but still relatively quiet.
Room compact (although it would have been a tight squeeze if we had needed the third bed) with a good, easy to operate, walk-in-shower.
Reception staff, although they changed frequently, were invariably helpful providing extra duvet for the unseasonal cold weather and advice.
Reasonable price compared to many hotels reviewed in Amsterdam.
The 'not so goods':-
Breakfast room small and could be draughty when other visitors were going in and out
Decor showing signs of wear
Surprised to be billed in full on arrival.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shazzastew

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is really a three and a half star review.

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for three nights in late March.

Before I even arrived, I had to change my debit card information on file two times (debit card was canceled automatically by my bank due to 'compromised security') via international phone calls. Everytime I called the staff members were friendly, patient and accommodating! And like everyone else in Amsterdam, they speak flawless English.

The hotel is on the Singel canal and is a short walk from Amsterdam Centraal. It is also a short walk to the center of the city, a very touristy area. If it's not too cold or windy (it was when we were there) you can pretty much walk anywhere in Amsterdam from here - it's a quiet, pretty area in a perfect location - locally quiet and a short walk to the craziness, if you're into that sort of thing.

We booked a 'Double Room' with a queen sized matress. The sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable. The floor was a little slanted (a little disorienting) but I was pleased overall. We had a little window facing the big circular building north of the hotel.

The second night the room starting smelling like rotting kapusta (ubiquitous polish dish with cabbage and sauerkraut) - what I believe to be the garbage smell of Amsterdam. It was also very cold outside during the night (about 15 degrees Fahrenheit), and the walls are not well insulated - so the room got borderline unbearably cold.

The free wifi was reliable. There was a small lcd television on the wall with about 15 channels - about 5 of which are in English - this didn't bother me because I didn't travel to Europe to watch television in my hotel room. There was a programmable safe which really gave me some peace of mind for leaving cash and medication in my hotel room during the day.

I think the included breakfast was great. Warm hard boiled eggs, fresh bread, honey (great with the bread), coffee, tea, juice, meats and cheeses, yogurt, granola/flakes, crackers, little packaged sweet cakes. A typical European breakfast.

The service was honestly the best part - and very heart warming. While I was staying at the Singel, a traveler's worst nightmare happened to me - while I was out at a bar, my passport, credit cards, glasses, euros, etc., were stolen from my purse. Panicked at 2 am, with no way to call my bank or the U.S., the man at the front desk allowed me to use the desk phone to call the U.S. - an international call I assume was expensive. I offered to pay him for the call but he declined, apologizing for my bad luck. I must have come downstairs and bothered him three times that night with stupid foriegner aquestions on how to call the local us embassy/consulate. He was very helpful and friendly.

The next day, a man from another hotel phoned the Singel to tell them they had found my wallet - the only things missing were Euros.

The Singel hotel makes you leave your room card (with rfid) everytime you check out; you take another small paper card with you instead that has the hotel name, your name, and your room number. If the Singel did not make me carry this card in my wallet, I am sure I would not have seen my stuff again.

Synopsis: I liked the breakfast, the location, and the staff. Would consider coming back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura K
Reviewed March 30, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I think we got unlucky, we're on the 4th floor which turns out to be the smokers floor and room was smelly and a bit seedy. Staff were helpful and good breakfast but if you are not a smoker avoid the 4th

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel is very close to all the attractions and just a hop from Central Station which is a likely way to get to Amsterdam.
The staff couldn't have been friendlier and were so helpful and really wanted me to enjoy my stay.
The room was small, however it was clean and the bathroom facilities were clean and well maintained.
If you are after a warm, clean place to lay your head at the end of the night in a prime location but are on a budget, the Singel Hotel is a great choice.
I will certainly be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Scott_UK125
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Centrally located, short walk to train station.Pleasant enough small reception area.Our room was on the 4th floor,couldn't find it initially.Discovered it at the end of the outdoor smokers alley,a genuine modern day garret ! We had to leave the hotel as such,walk across a roof gully, the bedroom door opened to the outside. We could hear smokers talking outside during the night.The 4th floor of this hotel is the smokers floor and the smell of nicotine lingered.We're non-smokers. The linen was spotless though and the room cleanish. Breakfast very good. Other members of our group had a happier experience with their rooms. Even though we left early and came back late the room really took the biscuit.

Room Tip: Check the room out before you take it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank girlsdad
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Hotel straight forward to get to from Central Station, matter of minutes walking. At side of canal, situated close to all attractions. Greeted by friendly hotel staff who provided us with a welcoming pot of tea. We found all staff friendly and most helpful. Everything about this hotel was excellent. Having stayed at a few hotels in Amsterdam, we found this hotel head and shoulders above the rest. The manager was more than approachable giving us good advice as to where to go. Rooms were spotless, breakfast was continental with a very good selection. The manager even made us a pot of tea whilst waiting for the coach to return to our ship.Clearly we had an enjoyayable stay, and hopefully will be returning soon!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple