“Good hotel, enjoyable stay”

Singel Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #161 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Stevenage
“Good hotel, enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Pleasant hotel, quite well located. Staff friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast. Rooms, smallish and plain but this didn't bother us. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Richard D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Italia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

It is not professional at all I've been charged the total sum at the check in !!

Spent 3 nights in the hotel.
Good ratio price/delivered services, especially because breakfast and wifi service are included in the room charge.
Good level of clean.
Excellently central located, close to Central Station, Dam place and other key attractions. Double room is small, but this is the standard size for almost the majority of hotels in the area. My windows (just 3 metres above the street level) faced the canal. This is a nice typical view, but on the other hand you hear some sound from street (walking people, some car, bikes, etc), despite the area itself is quite calm.
Breakfast is good, but breakfast room is really small.

Room Tip: despite some noise, ask for room facing on channel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Upon my third trip to Amsterdam I stayed at the Singel Hotel for two nights. Upon arrival I found the staff agreeable but not so friendly. I lucked out with a room upgrade from a single bed to a double for just me as a solo traveller. Even with the bigger room I still felt a little cramped. I will say the location of this hotel is excellent. It's located on a beautiful canal street and is within walking distance of Centraal station, many restaurants, coffee shops, Dam Square and the Red Light District.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Basildon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Excellent location. Close enough to where everything is going down but just far away to not be in the thick of things when you're trying to get some rest. 5 minutes walk the train station and Damrak, 7 or 8 minutes to the Red Light District and 10 minutes from Dam Square, what more could you want? Also, there's a little secluded mini Red Light district behind the hotel which comes in handy. Just letting my brothers know.*Knuckles* You Understand.
Nothing fancy but better than the usual Amsterdam lodgings. The elevator is a bit slow, I think they've got hamsters on wheels powering that thing but it gives you time to get your head together so you don't look too stoned when you're handing your door key to the staff upon exit. That's a requirement by the way and it means you don't lose it if you get wasted. A nice touch. Smoking rooms are on the top floor but there is a nice outdoors smoking area outside Room 40 on the top floor. Didn't use it because I had a smoking room and it was also raining heavily from the moment I got there to the moment I left. Being a shaven headed individual, I didn't mind because I have no hair to get wet but I certainly wouldn't choose to smoke there. Looks like it would have been thoroughly pleasent in the summer though.
Yeah, book here. Staff were friendly, rooms were above expectation and you're ideally located. Double thumbs up. No, that's not what I did in the Red Light District....you lot have a dirty mind!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for my partners birthday weekend with a group of friends, and cannot rave enough about the staff and service we received. Very hard to find nowadays but thankfully it still exists.

From the moment we walked in we were welcomed by the lovely Aniko who made all of us feel truly excited to have finally arrived in Amsterdam. She was full of information on what to do, where to go and how to get around.

The hotel is perfectly located less than 100 meters from the central station and right on the centre of it all.

The rooms are average but it's comfortable, and a safe place to rest your head for the night.

Breakfast - Wow!! For a continental selection it had pretty much everything you need and it was very fresh and you could tell they love to ensure everyone is full to the brim for an active day of sightseeing.

A special thank you to Aniko for safely returning my cell phone in the post after I stupidly left it in the room when we left. Most places usually wouldn't bother but they immediately rang and emailed to notify us.

It maybe a 3 star hotel but definitely 5 star service.

Look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed September 2012
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here on business. Twin room a bit cosy - i.e. no gap between beds for myself and colleague... Still, bed comfortable, check in / out and breakfast times generous and the location is very convenient. I would recommend this hotel as it is clean, convenient and good value.

Room Tip: Room does get hot!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

After checking in, we went up to our room located on 3rd floor in a small and very very slow elevator. That didn't leave a very good first impression so we were sceptical. But as we entered our triple room, the spaciousness, cleanliness and the view we got from the room brushed all scepticism away! It was spacious, and there were 3 large windows overlooking Singel Canal. We paid 144euro through booking from the hotel website and were given 3 free canal cruise tickets in which we enjoyed. So we basically paid around 110euro for the room which is reasonable for the size of the room, the ensuite (this is a big plus), location - only 5mins walk from the central station, Dam Square and 10-15mins to the famous Red Light District but quite as night so this is good for light sleepers. The beds were comfy and there were 2 extra pillows provided in the cupboard. The blackout curtains work very well too - we slept until 9am the next day, almost missed the breakfast! Breakfast was basic but sufficient. Had a hard time looking for a decent hotel in Amsterdam, I was glad I found Singel Hotel. Our only complain is the fact that guests have to leave the room's key card whenever we go out! Will definitely consider this hotel again when I return to Amsterdam. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends