New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Prinsen Hotel

Prinsen Hotel
Ranked #239 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
manchester
“Good Location, rooms OK but not always clean.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

This Hotel was on the whole satisfactory. The plus points are the superb location - very close to pretty much all of the things you want to do in Amsterdam (within walking distance or within short tram ride) but in a surprisingly quiet and smart street. The friendly staff is helpful. Also the nice peaceful garden at the back.

The room was OK in terms of size and view, but not always pristine in terms thoroughness of cleanliness. The carpet was quite dusty the whole time we were there.

The en suite bathroom was OK, with a decent shower, but there was quite a bit of mildew from dampness, poor ventilation around the floor tiles and shower doors. The smell in the bathroom was never very fresh and I don't think the cleaning staff used bleach for cleaning the drains and bathroom units. A bit of bleach before check-in of new guests would do wonders!

Also the breakfast - not very good, poor selection and very difficult to manoeuvre around the area as during the weekend the place was full and made the breakfast area difficult to move around for the self service continental breakfast (selection was three types of sliced bread, poor quality cold meats and cheeses which looked a bit tired around the edges. Boiled eggs and a very slow toaster. Orange juice, water, tea coffee, and two very basic types of cereal). After two or three days, you would get pretty tired of the selection.

Having said all that, we were reasonably happy with our stay even though it was overpriced for what it was, but that could be because of the reasonable goodwill and good mood as we were on holiday. I certainly would not recommend it for business or family use if you have children. For adults travelling solo or as couples it is fine for a couple of days, but perhaps shop around and keep this hotel as a fall back option if you can't find a hotel within budget in the same location (which as I said is just about perfect)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
.Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

Spent a lovely weekend in Amsterdam, our first visit.Hotel Prinsen is on a quiet tree lined road in an excellent location,close to all forms of transport,many restaurants and bars but away from the more "rowdy" areas of the city.When we went to our room we were shocked at the size,it should only have been a single.Went back to reception and were given the keys of 2 more rooms to choose from, one was the same as the first but the other was acceptable.I must say that the room and bathroom were very clean and the bed was comfortable which is all you need after a long day exploring Amsterdam! Breakfast was good and the dining room waspleasant.All staff were polite and helpfulI I would rate this hotel as very good for a short break. I like staying in nice hotels but to me the most important thing is cleanliness and I had no complaints on that score.As I always research on the net before going on one of our city breaks,I found the links on the hotels own web site very helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

We have just come back from a weeked in Amsterdam. We enjoyed our stay at the Prinsen, the location is excellent, near to the centre but set back in a quiet side road. The staff were extremely friendly and the breakfast fresh, plentiful and delicious. Okay, the rooms are on the small side, but the beds are comfy and clean. At the end of the day most people are in Amsterdam for a city break and do not spend a lot of time in their hotel room so as long as it's got a bed and is comfy and clean I don't have a problem.

We would definately go back and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
amstelveen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

We have not like the previous revieuw had a bad experience with the prinsen hotel. We had a wonderful stay at a good location with nice staff to help us with everything. Even if we had some small remarks it was resolved immediately when we asked. It is a pitty that they did not complain in the hotel but on this page. WE can only say we love this hotel

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajaxmar
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

Booked this hotel for a Valentines weekend in Amsterdam, was concerned about the previous bad reviews i had read on this site but against my better judgement decided to risk it anyway.

I only wish now that i had followed my instinct, this is a very average hotel that is playing on its good locatation and 3-star rating to charge premium prices. I was prepared from previous reviews to experience very small rooms but was still shocked at just how small these rooms actually are, the "double" bed ( two singles pushed together) was squashed into the end of our tiny L-shaped cupboard, sorry room,so that both sides were against the wall, the only way to get on the bed was to climb over the end. the whole room space measured less than 2.5 meteres by 1.5 metres and this included the space for the cheap rickety desk and wardrobe so leaving barely enough room for two adults to pass each other. A "Double Room" this was not!!!!! This would be considered a SMALL SINGLE room in any other hotel

The bathroom was as bad with a shower fixed to the wall ( NO TRAY!!!) and not enough room to turn round, i am guessing that the idea is that you shower whilst sitting on the toilet!!.

The curtains were literally useless as they were so thin they failed even to block out streetlight, which i suppose is why there is no light switch anyhere near the bed

The website pictures bear no remblance to what is inside, certainly not from what i have seen, they must obvioulsy have bigger nicer rooms but i was left feeling cheated and conned when i saw what was allocated to us despite paying a premium price through Airmiles. As it was Valentines weekend the hotel was full but we managed to find another room at the Radisson which despite being more expensive, was far better value than the Prinsen.

If you are looking for a centrally located crash pad and don't care about space/furniture/sleeping then this hotel will probably fit the bill as it is less expensive than most hotels but if you are looking for anything more than this, there are sooooooo many hotels in Amsterdam that you will surely find something better for your money.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrRedLondon

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

Maybe i was just unlucky but... when i arrived they gave me a room which hadn't been clean... i left my things and went out... when i came back the receptionist told me that i had left the door of the room open.. i'm sure i didn't that means that who cleaned the room left it open... fortunately, i had all my importand stuff with me so nothing was stolen... then the night i realized that in front of my window (i mean like 50 cm) there was a lamp that illuminated the street. in my room was daylight... i just had curtains to screen light and even not dark... i slept because i was really very tired but the light was really too much... then another problem were the walls... you could hear everything... (imagine a hotel frequentet mainly by young people, coming back after a night in coffe shops...) at one point the noise was so loud that i thought somebody entered in the room...
the price is ok, not as high as the other hotels in amsterdam, and it's also near the centre town. it's not really a quite hotel, i'd advice it only to young people... but i repeat maybe i was just unlucky with the room position.

• Liked — the position
  • Disliked — the position of the room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
Kent, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

clearly some people have very low standards. We travel a fair bit and Ive had small rooms before in cities, but well done. These were minute and awful (circa 1978). Put it like this, I couldnt get to the wardrobe without climbing over the bed and it was impossible to turn around in the bathroom. Not sure how they actually got a double bed in it. The bed was hugely uncomfortable and decor was old and tatty. TV didnt work. If it was really cheap-say £60 a night then I would have put up with it but it was over €120 a night.

The woman was also very unfriendly and we had to pay in full before we even saw the room as we checked in. As the reception area is quite pleasant we did so. Never again till I see a room. They also the day before we arrived had taken a nights deposit on my card (which i didnt know) and then proceeeded to charge us for the full nights when we were there. It took me 12 days to get this extra night back on my card. They refused when i called them to phone up and knock off the extra nights authorisation.
Breakfast boring (hence went out after the first day) and served by someone desparate to clear my plate as fast as I ate.

I rarely complain about anywhere, indeed usually leave good reviews but this place took the biscuit.-a thoroughly joyless place and presumably could only be liked by people who had never stayed anywhere reasonable but well done.

Loved Amsterdam though and despite the hotel had a great time.

• Liked — location was pretty good
  • Disliked — terrible rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple