Prinsen Hotel
$276
$255
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $294/night.

All reviewsquiet streetairport bus stoprooms are smallserviced dailycold meatswithin walking distancecentral stationcanal boatluggage roomweekend breakclean hotelgreat cityfresh fruitfew minutes walkthe breakfast areamuseum quarteramsterdam hotels
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Good location, close to Vondelpark and the museums, and a 20 minute walk to Dam Square, and all the attractions closer to the city. Helpful, friendly staff, and Jack the resident cat was a real bonus. Room was a very small double but spotlessly clean. Continental breakfast each morning was fine for us, cereals, toast (different breads and rolls), good selection of jams, etc. I'd have no problem in recommending this hotel and returning to it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel bedrooms were clean, if basic, and the hotel is in a good position to trams & buses. We didnt spend much time in the rooms so suited our needs. The breakfast was more than adequate. On the down side, the bar in reception never seemed to be open, we tried to get a drink and were told it was closed.
Staff were friendly and very helpful with directions on the first day. We also got checked into our rooms early.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I shall write this review with my honest opinion and I urge travellers to make their own minds up.

Location - Located near Vondelpark, the Hard Rock Café and the Blue Boat Canal Cruise Company. In the Museum Quarter so you are also within walking distance to the Van Gough Museum, the Rijksmuseum and Heineken Brewary. We walked everywhere, although there were tram stops close by also.

The Room - Although basic, it was fine. At the end of the day it is a city break. We spent barely any time in the room. The standard double rooms are small with a desk, 2 chairs, 1 double bed, a wardrobe, safe and alarm clock. The bathroom is a walk-in shower, sink and toilet. Don't expect the Ritz. Our room was clean and serviced daily. Our linen was clean, the radiator worked and we were happy with it. The only thing that I would comment on would be the bed - personally I found it too soft and the pillows too big. This is not a fault of the hotel, it is just a personal preference issue.

Breakfast - Served daily from 7am - 10am. Consisted of cereal, bread/toaster, cold meats i.e ham, salami, cheeses, jams. Juice, milk, tea, coffee machine. Self service. Quite nice, decent quality.
For hot breakfast, take a walk down the road and you will find a little place call Pancake Corner, or various other cafes.

Staff - on a whole, friendly and attentive. We saw three different staff members throughout our stay. We were allowed to check in early - 12.30 isn although the official check in is 2pm. So it is worth finding the hotel and trying to check in if your flight lands early. Room keys are required to be handed in at the front desk each time you leave the hotel. The staff were helpful with information about the area.

Tips -
* Check the hotel reception - often attritions leave leaflets or cards with money off vouchers to the attractions which will help save money.
* Pack lightly and check airline t&cs for anything you may want to being home.
* Cheese is big business in Amsterdam - there are so many cheese shops. Some cheeses are a little cheaper at the airport on departure and can be sealed in a clear bag as duty free luggage.
* Coffee shops are the ones that sell the naughty cigarettes, Cafes sell coffee and food.
*Try and do a canal cruise or bus tour on your first day to get an idea of what is around the city.
* The currency is Euro - You will need around €120 per day maybe more depending on what you want to do. (based on a couple)
* Museums are from €4-€15 p/ person entry

Room Tip: If you want a bigger room - book the deluxe. Otherwise, all standard rooms are the same and are small.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank stcy_star
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed in room 43 (single room) for two nights.

The staff had read my request for a quiet room, so I got a room on the top floor. My friend didn't request the same and got a room in the basement/ground floor. As my room was quiet, my friend's room was right underneath the reception area, so she heard noises from there.

The breakfast was ok, according to what you would expect at a 3-star hotel.

The room was ok, the bed comfortable. However, the bathroom was very dull. There's no real shower, just a shower curtain. I find shower curtains rather disgusting. The bathroom was very small, like a bathroom in a cabin on a boat. Two-grip handles I think is outdated and unhygienic.

The location is good, only a five minute walk away from Leidseplein, right next to Vondelpark. Little traffic in the street (check Google maps). It costs €37-40 with taxi to/from Schipol.

Summed up: Average hotel with good location but with quite indelicate bathroom.

I paid €220 for two nights. I felt like the hotel experience was worth less.

Room Tip: Top floor was quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tannpirker
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Upon arrival, the desk clerk gave me Room #6, a single room. The room was very small, the bed was a single-size (not a twin or queen), and the mattress sagged (I sat on it and sank almost to the floor). In the bathroom, there was not a separate shower. Instead, the hotel hung a shower curtain across one-half of the room and stuck a showerhead in the wall. The bathroom had a strong sewer smell. I complained, but the desk clerk told me that this was their "standard single room." I refused to stay there. The hotel kept my prepaid deposit for two nights and refused to refund anything. I recommend to all travelers and to travel agents to not book at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends