“Beautiful old-world hotel in prime location”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #19 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 31, 2007

This is a beautiful old-world hotel right in the middle of Amsterdam and steps away from the flower market. The rooms are lovely and the service is exceptional. Rooms with balconies overlooking a canal are particularly pleasant. The meeting rooms are a little bit plain but there's nothing to complain about. Overally, my experience here was excellent and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank NYC304
Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stayed at this hotel many times in the 1980s and on returning in April 2007 was delighted to find it as good as ever. Beautiful room, plenty of space, lovely bathroom, friendly and knowledgeable staff, everything working just as it should. And the restaurant is as good as ever -- yes, it should be, for the price. But it does everything well and there is the added delight of watching boats on the canals just below the restaurant window. What a pleasure to visit again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank jacquestati
Reviewed October 15, 2006

I was very surprised that I loved the room and the location as much as I did. It was perfect for a first visit. I absolutely would come back to this hotel again. It is the best location of all the hotels to see everything in Amsterdam. I got the room upgrade with American Express booking which was wonderful the room was beautiful, the staff was gracious. It was perfect. I give it 5 star all the way around. I cannot wait to go back.

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank VickiHendon
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I stayed here on business in June 2006. This is a 5-star hotel with good location in Amsterdam, right across from the Munt Tower and the flower stalls. I don't even want to guess what it cost, but it must have been expensive. The rooms are huge for Amsterdam, with a decor that (is supposed to) resemble Napolenic decor. The staff is professional and courteous, but not very friendly. There is no iron in the room, so you have to send it out. They will iron one item per day for free, then it's $10 per item. One day a pair of pants never made it back. It took forever for them to find the pair - they had been delivered to the wrong room. When it came back, there was a women's outfit with it, even though I was staying by myself. Worst of all, the staff didn't seem too alarmed and did not try too hard to find my clothes - I had to repeatedly "bother" them, and it took several hours to correct the situation. Unless you are staying here on business or have a large amount of free money to throw around, I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank tsl1965
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights in July on our way to Turkey. The location is wonderful. It is right on a canal and walking distance to a tramline. I booked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and photos I saw on the website. I am thankful we stayed on points and didn't have to pay the $500 plus it would have cost us per night. We booked 2 rooms, one with a king bed and one with twins for our girls. Thankfully, we were able to get rooms which had a connecting door. I can see that this Old World traditinal hotel was a grandly decorated hotel when new, but it could do with updating. It looked like Old World traditional. The bathrooms were marble, updated and a nice size though. We arrived during a heatwave so had to use the air conditioning which was barely passable. I found it annoying that housekeeping opened the windows when they cleaned the rooms, letting in all of the hot air, so we never came back at the end of the day to a cool room. The front desk was diplomatic but not friendly. We opted for convenience over price and ate breakfast in the dining room which was fantastically expensive (about $22 per person for the buffet). We never ate lunch or dinner there since there were much more interesting, and cheaper options nearby. The clientele seemed to be older couples. There were very few families. The indoor swimming pool is a spa pool and tiny - just enough to paddle around in. I did like the small size of the hotel though. It was quiet. In fact, I don't think there were many people staying at the hotel, given it's price, since there are probably much better options at half the price in the same area.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank gtgsf
Reviewed August 5, 2006

I stayed in this luxury hotel recently, as it is part of the American Express Platinum hotels, but I am truly disappointed about this hotel. It is a Leading Hotel of the World, but it is so run down and shabby, I could not believe it. The room is very mediocre in its design. All is working in the room but I was hoping for a special experience and did not get that feeling in this hotel unfortunately. The staff is very friendly and apologetic, they must have sensed I was not totally satisfied, although I did not want to tell them their hotel needs a complete overhaul, I am sure they know that themselves even better than me... Trust me, if you want an experience, go to the Amstel Hotel, it is more expensive but worth every penny more in terms of (classic) design, comfort and amenities.

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank Doubledutch1
Reviewed July 24, 2006

As being a Dutchman I was very surprised by reading the negative tripreports about this hotel: De L'Europe does have a great name in The Netherlands. I was booked in this hotel by a client of our company and therefor able to check it myself.
The hotel is at a great spot, at the corner of a crossing of busy canals, very close to the Rembrand plein and the Shopping area. The outside of the building is very impressive. This is continued inside. It is all in the same traditional style, which is well maintained. My room was at the Canal side, with a small balcony. What a great view, absolutely super. The room contains everything that it should contain, including airconditioning (which is not always the case in 4/5 starts hotels in the Netherlands!). Also the rooms are in a traditional style, which fits into the expectations of the building exterior. Room was decently sized, bathroom size also. Bathroom is not very modern, but everything was clean and working fine.
Staff of the hotel was as friendly as they should be (8 out of a raning of 10). I did not try the restaurant, but it has a great reputation in Amsterdam. Breakfast was ok.
Conclusion: De L'Europe is a great hotel, especially if you like hotels that take care of traditions.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business