“wish I'd chosen the Pulitzer”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #17 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
illinois
“wish I'd chosen the Pulitzer”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

The new renovation of this hotel is unfortunate. I'm afraid it has forgotten how it earned its reputation in the first place. Gone is the beautiful breakfast restaurant with sizable buffet. It has been replaced with a tiny dark restaurant with tiny, very overpriced ala carte breakfast offerings. The guest room is poorly designed in tacky modern style. The painting in the bedroom features the head of a young girl from a Rembrant painting who is staring down upon the bed. The headless torso of the girl is the featured artwork in the living room. We booked a canal view room and were at first given a room on the top floor with a view of the concrete railings that were placed in front of the windows. This was followed by a room with a bedroom that did not have a window to the outside but instead to the lobby. Although the location of this hotel is excellent, I can no longer recommend it. It has forgotten how it earned it's high rating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank zwxy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Stayed here on my way to Aruba and on the way back from Curacao earlier in the year. We had booked via lhw.com so got good rates on superior rooms etc. Upon arrival I found that my bags had not arrived the hotel staff provided my with lots of hygieneproducts deo,hairbrush, toothbrush/paste etc. I also got a chocolate version of a Rembrandt painting, some genever(dutch liquer) with gold leaf in it which is traditional for a Dutch bride to get. I also got a lot of other little gifts around the room, champagne, chocolates, fruit etc. Great attention to detail.
On my return trip I stayed in a different suite, not in the new part of the building. The bathroom was modern but too squashed, there are glass walls between the tiolet and the shower, very strange , the room was fine but the decor was a little shabby, light fittings hanging off the wall in our hall area, very dated even for the type of building it is the room decor needs to look clean not dated. I had food in my room as I was flying early during each stay, mostly brekfast , typical dutch fare, not great but adequate. Would I stay here again , probably but thats only because I stayed there during my honeymoon. Would it be my first choice in Amsterdam, no. Only for two things, I know amsterdam well and it's just an alright location for me. I have stayed in lesser "styled rooms" but in much better hotels and for a more reasonable price and the rooms had balconies that were modern, in fact for the balcony we had to book a suite in this hotel. If you stay at the lesser star NH Doelen ( attached to this hotel ), you can have the same balcony overlooking the same canal for €300 cheaper a night........not great service at the Doelen but...it is a recession

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I didn't know what to expect from the outside, but once in my room I was amazed. I was in one of the newly renovated rooms. Hardwood floors, steam shower, frette linens and bvgari amenities.

The TV popped out of the bed.

I had the chance to tour the new portion of the hotel which should open soon. These are brand new rooms and are amazing. They are very large and very high tech.

The location is perfect. You can walk anywhere in 20 minutes. The hotel goes out of their way to help. It was raining and they let me borrow an umbrella.

Once the new section opens with the updated fitness center, this property will be one of the best small hotels in the world.

If you are questioning the value, go for it, its worth it, you only live once...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel was right in the middle of everything. The staff was helpful and so so nice. The rooms were amazing and very very clean. The price was higher than most of the other hotels but it is worth the extra money. All in all a beautiful and great place to stay. I probably wouldn't stay anywhere else in Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Monapancakes
uk
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. I booked it as was one of very few good hotels in Amsterdam that had smoking rooms. On arrival check-in was very quick and efficient. The guy on reception noticed when looking at my passport, that I would be staying there on my birthday. The room , overlooking Amstel river, was very big, with huge, very comfortable bed and lots of wardrobe space. (No coffee making facilities, but coffee delivered to room promptly, with lovely petit fours included at weekend) Wireless internet was available at reasonable rate. The bathroom , all done in marble, with lovely Bvulgari toiletries, had separate toilet and bidet area, shower and bath. We didnt eat in restaurant but the room service food was excellent and the staff were more than happy to accomodate our requests. Breakfast was delivered to the room on time, and as with all the staff we were addressed by our names at all times.
There was a lovely terrrace overlooking the river, but unfortunately this was closed due to inclement weather during our stay.
We cant comment on the swimming pool or fitness area as we did not use, but was great for a city central hotel to offer this facility.
Hotel de L'Europe is close to trams stops and within walking distance of both Dam square and Rembrandtplein. The Red Light District is only 15 min stroll away along the canal. We have never been to Amsterdam before but, we felt safe anywhere, anytime we went out.
I really must commend the staff at this hotel. We hired a car and could not figure out the GPS system. The doorman, whose name I regret I did not learn, could not have been more helpful. He took time to show us and set our destination. Alexander, on reception also helped us with addresses. I have never stayed anywhere were the staff were so helpful and doing because they wanted to help, not just because it was their job.
On my birthday, we returned to the room to find a gift left on bed for me. Nice touch! I really couldnt recommend this hotel highly enough. It may be pricey, but you get more than you pay for and this is rare.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Georgia62uk
florida
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights here in late August. This is a 5 star hotel with a beautiful view and impeccable service. But it is PRICEY. We stayed for 2 nights, had the breakfast both mornings, ordered room service and used the minibar a bit.......$1200 American. Great location as well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelersfun
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Arrived in Amsterdam from Stockholm after a week cruise in the Baltic. When we first saw our room, we were surprised at the dated decorating, but soon overcame that. Room was very large with three double closets, a very large marble bathroom, and lots of draw storage. Bed was very comfortable.

Hotel felt empty although our porter told us it was sold out. After wandering around, noticed other side of our floor was closed and under construction. Never heard any noise, but it did account for the empty feeling in the common areas.

Staff could not have been more helpful. Bikes are stored in basement and are available for rental. Mopeds are stored by stairs at entrance. Although we arrived after dinner, still could take a canal cruise in the evening that was within 25 yards of the hotel's front door.

Breakfast which was included in our room rate was a buffet with certain items available for order from the menu. Selections were very good, and as an American, I found it all satisfactory. Tables are against large windows with canal views. Bar area was small, but bartender was interested in all the clients and made an effort to know your name and be helpful. Musical entertainer was appropriate for a bar - interesting but not overpowering. Drinks were expensive.

Location was extremely convenient for us as first time tourists to Amsterdam. Saw Harry Potter across the street in a multiplex theater which was an awful experience, but everything else went very well.

We love 5 star hotels. The room decor did not meet that standard, but everything else at this property made up for that. Everyone at the front desk is trained to be a concierge which was a different experience. We were able to buy tickets from them that avoided the long lines at certain popular attractions.

Would stay again.