“G r e a t ! ! !”

Ranked #15 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Olympia
“G r e a t ! ! !”
Reviewed May 14, 2005

After returning from Paris for one night before flying back to the USA with no room reserved we stumbled into this hotel. I WILL BE BACK. What a great oasis, beautiful, great staff, location location location. Take your special some one here and score major points.

• Stayed October 2004
4 Thank Baurice N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 5, 2005

First, it must be emphasised that my review of this hotel needs to be put in perspective. Of course, the hotel falls within the luxury category; of course, you will not find dirty linen and neither will you be mistreated by the staff. However, it certainly does not deserve to be one of the "Leading Hotels of the World" - something which I have grown accustomed to regard more as a sacred text rather than a mere hotel directory.

The exterior is mostly unimpressive; indeed, the spectacular night shot splattered all over promotional materials is, at the very least, deceiving. The lobby is equally uncharacteristic - more appropriate in a good 4-star hotels than in a deluxe 5-star property. No specific complaints about the rooms: everything was there and everything functioned appropriately, but this sort of hotels should offer that indescribable additional factor which, in my opinion, was lacking here. Another thing that struck me as belonging to a lesser-standard establishment was the corridors: a mixture of conservative classicism and awful 70s door frames - very uncool.

On a more positive note, the restaurant "Excelsior" is pretty decent and more than reasonably priced.

That said, I must acknowledge that I managed to find the rooms at a discounted rate (around €250 at lhw.com) and, accordingly, these complaints do appear to have a somewhat pedantic tone. However, if you were to pay the rack rate for the rooms, which orbits around €400 for doubles, my criticism would be more than justified.

If you want to go to a true deluxe hotel in Amsterdam, I suggest you head, as pointed out by an earlier review, to the Amstel: a proper establishment, whose restaurant, "la Rive", is also superb, though considerably pricier than "the Excelsior". If you scout the web well, you may be able to find a room for around €300, which is more than fair given the standards - surprisingly high for an Inter-Continental.

Also, if you are looking for a design/boutique address, and are willing to fork out at least €400 a night, then the Dylan is the place for you: by far the most stylish hotel in town, its restaurant is also worthy of mention.

• Stayed March 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed April 24, 2005

We just returned from a two-night stay at this hotel, and I have to say that the service was fantastic. I have no complaints. We stay in many five-star hotels, and I would rank this in my top five.
We booked a deluxe double with a river view, and that is what we received. We were offered an upgrade to a junior-suite, but it would have been without a river view so we declined. Our room-rate included one dinner for two in the hotel's restaurant (Excelsior), and the dinner surpassed my expectations. The meal was multi-course with a different wine with each course. The food was excellent and well thought out, we were not rushed at all, and the service was top-notch and very friendly. As a matter of fact, "friendly" would be an accurate description for the overall service at this hotel. Every person we came in contact with - reception, waiters, bartender, maid, doorman - was friendly and provided attentive service.
The location right next to the canal is just superb. You can easily walk to many of the sights because of the hotel's central location. Or, you can take the tram which stops right across the canal (about a 30 second walk).
We will definitely stay here again soon.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank thebigfinn
New York
Reviewed March 29, 2005

I was interested to read the review of March 25, because I stayed at the hotel from the 18th to the 21st of March, 2005 while visiting relatives in Amsterdam. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay: the room was large and comfortable, the service excellent and hospitable in every way. Although I was on the front of the hotel, in fact, just above the front door, the room was quiet and peaceful.

Because this was a family reunion, I made dinner reservations for the 18th at the Excelsior (the hotel restaurant) for myself and my family. The meal was excellent and beautifully served.

I would have to agree, however, that the bathroom needs remodeling. The colors were dark and old-fashioned and the bathtub so high and so narrow that it was difficult to negociate.

All said, however, I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and thought the location unbeatable.

4 Thank Seckel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 25, 2005

After reading positive reviews, I was surprised of the low quality of the room, food and service levels. Do people who stay at this hotel have low expectations, or was I in the twilight zone? The hotel does not even come close to the level of Intercontinental-Amstel.

The room was large (faced canal) but the bathroom design was so bad that it was dangerous to get in/out of the tub. The wall was paper thin. It was impossible to get any kind of service at all, or if given it was extremely slow. At breakfast, the hotel served old bread/pastries and dried up bacon & sausages. On the second day, 2-day old pastry became 3-day old pastry. This is one of the worst value when considering the quality of service/room received as compared to the amount paid. You feel that the hotel is not spending adequate money to upkeep the place/service.

That said, location is central - close to everything.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed February 7, 2005

Last week my boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel de L'Europe. As a travel agent, I try to stay at a different hotel every time I go to Amsterdam, but after this experience I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Juliette and Maarten were excellant answering my questions and getting me oriented after a long trip. They were very friendly and attentive. Every day, the staff said good morning and the doorman was always there to greet me when leaving and coming back. The location of the hotel is PERFECT, and I loved that when I opened my window in the morning, I could here the chimes from the Munt Tower. The room was VERY spacious for a European room, even for the 5 stars! There was an entrance hall, huge main room with numerous closets, cabinets and drawers and the bathroom was modern with duel shower heads, a spacious bathtub (which really counts after a long day of walking around) and a seperate glass enclosed toilet/bidet area. The bed was large and comfy, which some hotels fail to grasp the concept of. The room service was so good that I ordered it two nights in a row. Their lobster cream soup puts most French Bisque's to shame!! I have not a bad thing to say about this beautiful hotel and would highly reccomend it to any of my clients or anybody going to Amsterdam! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

4 Thank RobynPringTravel
Cleveland
Reviewed January 5, 2005

When we arrived there was a welcome amenity at the front desk. The doormen were very professional and welcoming. Check-in wasn't as fast as I would have liked it to be, but that was easy to look over because the beauty of the hotel and my suite that I was checked into. Before I arrived I had worked with a fellow named Marcel who was very knowledgeable and through. I had several questions and request as we were staying there for new years eve. He suggested two great party's and was able to get me VIP access at the last minute, we were thrilled! Back to the Hotel: When we entered into our suite we were taken aback. It had cathedral cielings, a huge bathroom and upgraded decor. It was kvery spacious by european standards. The bathroom had dual sinks, a seperate shower (with two shower heads), a huge soaking tub, and a bidet in addition to the regular toilet. The room also featured a doorbell. We got massages in the fitness center which is small. However it does feature a dry heat sauna, and tanning bed. Some of the intenet sites say that the hotel has a spa on site and that is not correct. They do massages on site but for the rest of the treatments you have to go to a seperate salon which I find quite inconveinent. The pool is rather small, but thats to be expected in europe from my experince. The resturant is great with traditional european cusine. Room service however is awful. Every time I ordered anything from room service my order was wrong, late or, not good. Overall the hotel is Wonderful and it is the only place I'll stay when I'm in Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2005