“...Not even one complaint!”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #16 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Greensboro, North Carolina
“...Not even one complaint!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2005

We just returned from a two-night stay at this hotel, and I have to say that the service was fantastic. I have no complaints. We stay in many five-star hotels, and I would rank this in my top five.
We booked a deluxe double with a river view, and that is what we received. We were offered an upgrade to a junior-suite, but it would have been without a river view so we declined. Our room-rate included one dinner for two in the hotel's restaurant (Excelsior), and the dinner surpassed my expectations. The meal was multi-course with a different wine with each course. The food was excellent and well thought out, we were not rushed at all, and the service was top-notch and very friendly. As a matter of fact, "friendly" would be an accurate description for the overall service at this hotel. Every person we came in contact with - reception, waiters, bartender, maid, doorman - was friendly and provided attentive service.
The location right next to the canal is just superb. You can easily walk to many of the sights because of the hotel's central location. Or, you can take the tram which stops right across the canal (about a 30 second walk).
We will definitely stay here again soon.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank thebigfinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2005

I was interested to read the review of March 25, because I stayed at the hotel from the 18th to the 21st of March, 2005 while visiting relatives in Amsterdam. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay: the room was large and comfortable, the service excellent and hospitable in every way. Although I was on the front of the hotel, in fact, just above the front door, the room was quiet and peaceful.

Because this was a family reunion, I made dinner reservations for the 18th at the Excelsior (the hotel restaurant) for myself and my family. The meal was excellent and beautifully served.

I would have to agree, however, that the bathroom needs remodeling. The colors were dark and old-fashioned and the bathtub so high and so narrow that it was difficult to negociate.

All said, however, I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and thought the location unbeatable.

4 Thank Seckel
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2005

After reading positive reviews, I was surprised of the low quality of the room, food and service levels. Do people who stay at this hotel have low expectations, or was I in the twilight zone? The hotel does not even come close to the level of Intercontinental-Amstel.

The room was large (faced canal) but the bathroom design was so bad that it was dangerous to get in/out of the tub. The wall was paper thin. It was impossible to get any kind of service at all, or if given it was extremely slow. At breakfast, the hotel served old bread/pastries and dried up bacon & sausages. On the second day, 2-day old pastry became 3-day old pastry. This is one of the worst value when considering the quality of service/room received as compared to the amount paid. You feel that the hotel is not spending adequate money to upkeep the place/service.

That said, location is central - close to everything.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2005

Last week my boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel de L'Europe. As a travel agent, I try to stay at a different hotel every time I go to Amsterdam, but after this experience I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Juliette and Maarten were excellant answering my questions and getting me oriented after a long trip. They were very friendly and attentive. Every day, the staff said good morning and the doorman was always there to greet me when leaving and coming back. The location of the hotel is PERFECT, and I loved that when I opened my window in the morning, I could here the chimes from the Munt Tower. The room was VERY spacious for a European room, even for the 5 stars! There was an entrance hall, huge main room with numerous closets, cabinets and drawers and the bathroom was modern with duel shower heads, a spacious bathtub (which really counts after a long day of walking around) and a seperate glass enclosed toilet/bidet area. The bed was large and comfy, which some hotels fail to grasp the concept of. The room service was so good that I ordered it two nights in a row. Their lobster cream soup puts most French Bisque's to shame!! I have not a bad thing to say about this beautiful hotel and would highly reccomend it to any of my clients or anybody going to Amsterdam! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

4 Thank RobynPringTravel
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2005

When we arrived there was a welcome amenity at the front desk. The doormen were very professional and welcoming. Check-in wasn't as fast as I would have liked it to be, but that was easy to look over because the beauty of the hotel and my suite that I was checked into. Before I arrived I had worked with a fellow named Marcel who was very knowledgeable and through. I had several questions and request as we were staying there for new years eve. He suggested two great party's and was able to get me VIP access at the last minute, we were thrilled! Back to the Hotel: When we entered into our suite we were taken aback. It had cathedral cielings, a huge bathroom and upgraded decor. It was kvery spacious by european standards. The bathroom had dual sinks, a seperate shower (with two shower heads), a huge soaking tub, and a bidet in addition to the regular toilet. The room also featured a doorbell. We got massages in the fitness center which is small. However it does feature a dry heat sauna, and tanning bed. Some of the intenet sites say that the hotel has a spa on site and that is not correct. They do massages on site but for the rest of the treatments you have to go to a seperate salon which I find quite inconveinent. The pool is rather small, but thats to be expected in europe from my experince. The resturant is great with traditional european cusine. Room service however is awful. Every time I ordered anything from room service my order was wrong, late or, not good. Overall the hotel is Wonderful and it is the only place I'll stay when I'm in Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank YellowOne
Glendale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2004

We had a top floor river view room and loved it here. The service was great and it's in a very convenient area -- close to most of the major attractions in Amsterdam. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2004

Arrived at the hotel de l'europe which was a short ride from the airport in the taxi- take the town cabs instead of the independant ones or you will be paying much more for the ride. The staff were very welcoming, but our room was very small, a suite with a separate sitting room. I asked for an upgrade as we are amex card holders and we were given a superb room. The reason that the first room was small was the fact that I suffer from asthma and asked for a non-smoking room, but to be honest, the second room that we were offered was fantastic, with a view of the street and was huge, the sitting area was in the bedroom. Also the bathroom was much better. The first room had a small bath and one sink with no separate shower or toilet, and did not have a bidet. the second room was a smoking room, but I could not smell the smoke, and on the plus side it had a superb bathroom with a separate shower big enough for two, and a bath- also a separate toilet area with a bidet- bliss! The toiletries were Bulgari 'au the vert' which is my signature scent so I was very pleased. The staff could not do enough for us- the concierge 'Alex' was the most helpful man in the world- he booked us an indonesian restaurant which was fabulous- we had reservations when we entered it as it was small, hot and very busy, but the staff all spoke english and were so friendly- plus the food was exceptional. Also Alex booked us another restaurant and helped us to find places of interest, especially the sex museum! That was a must- located on Damrack- don't bother with the one in the red light district as it was rubbish! Amsterdam does not feel very safe in the red light district in the daytime as there were all sorts of characters offering us drugs, but at night (once I had left my handbag in the hotel room) it felt very safe- loads of tourists and police around. We went into the sex shops just for the experience and saw the ladies of the night- wild or what! Walked for miles in the day, but disappointing to find that the two major art museums were closed. Some of the diamond centres were disappointing but there is plenty to do- just when we were getting into the swing of things it was time to leave- and we stayed for 4 days too. Freddys bar was great, very intimate and the barman was so nice, he looked after us. Check out a canal boat ride as we never had time to do one, but looked good. Very interesting city, dare to see the sex and drug culture even if it isn't your kind of thing- there's nowhere quite like it anywhere else in the world- to be sure I will be going back, when- I really don't know as it was 16 years ago I last went before now!
Have fun, be safe and don't take the camera to the red light district or you may find trouble.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member