“hotel de l'europe”

Ranked #18 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
A TripAdvisor Member
london, uk
Reviewed June 4, 2004

Arrived at the hotel de l'europe which was a short ride from the airport in the taxi- take the town cabs instead of the independant ones or you will be paying much more for the ride. The staff were very welcoming, but our room was very small, a suite with a separate sitting room. I asked for an upgrade as we are amex card holders and we were given a superb room. The reason that the first room was small was the fact that I suffer from asthma and asked for a non-smoking room, but to be honest, the second room that we were offered was fantastic, with a view of the street and was huge, the sitting area was in the bedroom. Also the bathroom was much better. The first room had a small bath and one sink with no separate shower or toilet, and did not have a bidet. the second room was a smoking room, but I could not smell the smoke, and on the plus side it had a superb bathroom with a separate shower big enough for two, and a bath- also a separate toilet area with a bidet- bliss! The toiletries were Bulgari 'au the vert' which is my signature scent so I was very pleased. The staff could not do enough for us- the concierge 'Alex' was the most helpful man in the world- he booked us an indonesian restaurant which was fabulous- we had reservations when we entered it as it was small, hot and very busy, but the staff all spoke english and were so friendly- plus the food was exceptional. Also Alex booked us another restaurant and helped us to find places of interest, especially the sex museum! That was a must- located on Damrack- don't bother with the one in the red light district as it was rubbish! Amsterdam does not feel very safe in the red light district in the daytime as there were all sorts of characters offering us drugs, but at night (once I had left my handbag in the hotel room) it felt very safe- loads of tourists and police around. We went into the sex shops just for the experience and saw the ladies of the night- wild or what! Walked for miles in the day, but disappointing to find that the two major art museums were closed. Some of the diamond centres were disappointing but there is plenty to do- just when we were getting into the swing of things it was time to leave- and we stayed for 4 days too. Freddys bar was great, very intimate and the barman was so nice, he looked after us. Check out a canal boat ride as we never had time to do one, but looked good. Very interesting city, dare to see the sex and drug culture even if it isn't your kind of thing- there's nowhere quite like it anywhere else in the world- to be sure I will be going back, when- I really don't know as it was 16 years ago I last went before now!
Have fun, be safe and don't take the camera to the red light district or you may find trouble.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed April 9, 2004

we stayed here on a recent biz trip - whilst I don't know how much was paid we enjoyed our stay. very convenient location and very historical with all the mod cons.

admittedly we asked for a non smoking and ended up with a room on the inside of the hotel which was dark but it was very quiet - something which the canal rooms probably are not given their prime position in the city centre.

room service food was expensive but nice. staff friendly and helpful.
if I could afford to stay 5 star I would stay here again as it compares well to other 5 star hotels in europe although it has more of a historical than trendy feel

3  Thank Torrie6
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed February 4, 2004

was put in the back though promised canal (and they weren't at all full); seriously dirty rug; plumbing leak; hidden costs; as for the gourmet, restaurant, three words: paper napkins, $200. --Absolutely would not return .

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 4, 2004

I decided to book this hotel based on the pics and reviews I browsed on the net. I was disappointed by the small lobby and the rooms that have way less chracter than it seems on the pics (and we booked a deluxe room). Thankfully, we got a discounted rate, but even so, I founded that this hotel was overpriced, even though it is sure confortable and the location is very central. I would definately try another hotel next time.

1  Thank Maximilien
Reviewed October 11, 2003

stayed here in jan2000 it was nice the restaurants and especially freddys bar gurt is the best bartender ever .came back in dec jan 2000-2001 for new years again i loved it a short walk to everything everyone is super helpful super fast room service 24 hrs a day so i just reserved aroom for new years again this year oh yeh the guy at the front door who helped us out the cab remembered our names from the year before we were here definitely very awesome

1  Thank Mwilson3937
Reviewed July 2, 2003

visited this hotel in March for 5 days. Must concur with storage closets in suite. Amazing amount of space. Very comfortable accomodations. Toiletries by Bulgari were a plus to me. Excellent service, very clean, close to everything. Concierge was very helpful in arranging for theatre tickets and for changing train accommodations for us. I'd definitely stay here again. The pool does not have a shallow end and it looks a lot bigger in the pictures, but my 8 year old thoroughly enjoyed herself.

1  Thank teeokeefe
Reviewed December 10, 2002

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of damp days in March 2001; we were most impressed by the colossal amount of storage in our room, then by the huge bathroom, then by the welcoming flowers, chocolates, and beer (the place seems to be run by Heineken). Very helpful concierge, great location, right in the middle of everything.

7  Thank BornTooLoose