“5 star facilities 4 star service”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #17 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
England
“5 star facilities 4 star service”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Fantastic location right in the middle of Amsterdam with well appointed rooms and luxury bathrooms. We stayed in a courtyard facing room which was nice and quiet .
The concierge was excellent but some of the other staff not so good. I had to wait for attention at
The reception and concierge desk most times so perhaps more staff needed when a queue develops.
I was disappointed about the boat trip I wanted to go on .
I tried to book the special trip for hotel guests only and I was the first to request a booking for the following day. A minimum of 4 people are needed so we were offered choice of paying for 4 people and we had to decide in next 2 hours, which we declined. She did not ask for our names / room number to let us know if other people wanted to go . Presumably the next 2 people wanting to go would have encountered the same problem unless they were dealt with by a more resourceful member of staff .
Imagine my disappointment the next morning when at breakfast when I saw the boat arrive and several people getting on !!

Not sure about need for I pad in room - looks flash but serves no useful purpose

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2014

From the great views, to the uniquely-appointed rooms, to the charming staff...simply outstanding!Everything about it was perfect. The concierge even booked the most wonderful private dinner cruise -- we had our own boat and captain, the food was fabulous. The experience was magical -- walked out of the hotel into our boat.

Room Tip: The rooms that have balconies are wonderful to sit and watch the city and what is happening on the c...
LA
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Amsterdam is crowded, dirty and loud. The De L'Europe is clean and quiet. I found the staff friendly and helpful at every turn. I had a canal facing room, which was spacious and comfortable. If I must go back to Amsterdam, this is definitely the place to stay. I dined in the brasserie (with gorgeous canal view) and had breakfast on site. Both were excellent

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank spedlyman
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of times already and it is excellent every single time. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and know us by now which is always a treat. The room service is excellent, the beds are insanely comfortable and the dinner and breakfast are great! Go down to Freddy's Bar for a fresh beer with the amazing bartenders. Had an amazing stay and I'm sure anybody going there will too! Located very close to Amsterdam's main shopping street: Kalverstraat and the amazing Leidseplein!

Room Tip: We had a room with a lovely view of the Amstel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelfanatic278
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The settings are lovely right on the side of the Canal, watching the boats and people go by, great food with a interesting menu to suit all, great tentative service, only thing to take in to consideration is that the restaurant is outside so is cold.

Stayed June 2014
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I have just had a great couple of days staying at the Hotel De L' Europe which is in the most perfect position on the banks of the Amstel River slap bang in the centre of Amsterdam. The bedroom was enormous with a glorious bathroom and service to match.
Richard van Oostenbrugge worked his magic with my dinner at the 2 star Bord 'Eau restaurant which was absolutely delicious. I am now dreaming of the time I can next visit Holland and go to this great hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sunshine230
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We booked three nights through the hotel website but the canal view (at a higher price) requested was not honored. Supposedly, we were upgraded to a junior suite but it is in a dark attic with a view of the neighboring rooftops. I have written to the gentleman who responded so kindly to other unhappy guests but he is unavailable until after we leave. At reception, we were told that a could change rooms to a river view tomorrow. This evening we have been told that a room with only a partial view will be shown to us. It is our 34th wedding anniversary Saturday & we wanted to splurge on a really special place. Since I have had cancer twice I do not anticipate a return. The Van Gogh Museum was on my bucket list so maybe our visit there tomorrow will change my mind about Amsterdam. So far the De L'Europe Amsterdam is a great disappointment.

8 Thank ninewinx
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry I did not get to meet you due to my annual leave whilst you were in residence and please accept my sincere apologies that your river view request was not honored upon arrival. From my understanding my colleague managed to upgrade you to a river view suite with balcony after your first night with us, which was appreciated. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations upon arrival but am pleased to hear that you did end up enjoying your stay with us.

If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Warm regards,