“Old World Elegance in a Perfect Location”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #20 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Spent a romantic weekend here with my husband. Lovely bottle of chilled wine was waiting for us on arrival. Good location with public transport directly across the street. Beautifully appointed, meticulous room had every amenity - ipad, coffee maker, make-up mirror and a luxurious, oversized tub. I never sleep well the first night in a hotel, but the bed and super comfy pillows provided me with a wonderful rest each night. Excellent breakfast. Staff is very helpful, offered great dining suggestions. Nothing was too much trouble. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank graciouslivinguk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,592)

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I've been fortunate to stay in a few luxury hotels around Europe, and this was definitely one of the best: the staff were polite, yet helpful (and not aloof); the room was luxurious (the bed super comfortable) and had nice little perks like in-room iPad; the breakfast was plentiful, varied, leisurely, and best of all located above the canals, so it had fantastic atmosphere (I had to be pried away from just sitting there eating pastries, drinking coffee, and watching the view). And one additional perk that we loved: the indoor heated swimming pool was refreshing after a day in the city, plus it had strong jets so that you could swim "laps" while actually staying in place.
Given that hotels in Amsterdam are expensive and not always good value, I think this is one of the places where you take some of the Euros you've saved in life and splurge on a rare pleasure of staying in a classy hotel within a beautiful European city.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank B J
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed in April 2014.

Location is excellent and everything was within walking distance...check it out on Google maps.
We were inadvertently upgraded ( didn't realise until checkout) but to the Hotel's credit they did did not make an issue of the extra cost.

The suite was very comfortable with its own balcony overlooking the canals, the WIFI was included and fast enough. The decorating style was eclectic and I struggle to believe that a professional decorator was involved, but we slept well.

One thing to note...the rooms are VERY dark, Readers may not believe this but I could not see the controls of the coffee machine in the wardrobe...there is no lighting at all in the wardrobe and I could not see the contents of my suitcase without pulling it off the stand and placing it next to the window. (see my photo) When I asked about the lighting the front desk provided an LED lamp which was so useless that the whole thing became funny. This didn't really spoil our stay but it is really idiosyncratic...if you stay here, pack a small flashlight. I promise you will need it.

The temperature controls were quite quirky as well and we could never get it to stay on the desired setting. When we returned at the end of each day it was always on a different setting to the one we had set it to.

Our suite overlooked the canals and had a wonderful outlook. It was quiet at night although there was a problem with our double glazed doors which the maintenance people didn't really know how to fix. and which remained unfixed up to our departure. I'm willing to bet they still are.

Breakfast was not included in our rate. It was tasty but the cost was eye watering. I assume this is the norm with upmarket hotels in Amsterdam as much as it seems to be in Australia. We had breakfast in an eatery a few minutes walk from the hotel for about 1/3 the price but if you choose to do the same, take cash as they only accepted a local form of credit card, not the Mastercard, Visa or Amex I took with me.

The Bord'Eau restaurant, within the hotel recently received a second Michelin star so we were keen to try it. Probably we chose the wrong dishes and I'm reluctant to criticise because you would expect Michelin to know better than I, but I didn't like it and didn't think it was worth the cost, unlike other expensive restaurants at which I have eaten. Hopefully it was just me.

On a more positive note, the staff were very helpful (LED lamp aside), the doorman in particular was friendly and engaging and a rental car was organised to be delivered to the hotel in a very efficient manner. The unfortunate dispute over unauthorised credit card charges by the rental-car firm since then is probably not the hotel's fault, but if I were to ask the hotel to organise a rental car again I would try a couple of the big names first. The biggest attraction was that the car was delivered to and picked up from the hotel. The big names may not do that. When we picked up the car to drive to Keukenhof gardens (which is really a must see and was one of the highlights of our Amsterdam visit) the doorman insisted we take some water which ended up as a really good idea.

In short, I'm not quite sure this is a 5 star hotel as I've experienced 5 star in the past but it was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful. A slightly mixed bag (remember to take a flashlight) but I would stay again and would encourage readers to give it serious consideration.

Room Tip: Check the menu at Bord'Eau restaurant to make sure there are dishes you might like to try. If r...
2  Thank rl_1949
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed one night at L'Europe in Amsterdam. Everything was poor from check in thru check out.
My room facing the street was noisy. When in the shower I noticed there were no toiletries. I found a small soap which had to serve as shampoo and shower gel.
Breakfast experience also poor. One person serving all tables in breakfast room. Nothing to recommend when in a hurry... Also the buffet itself poor and not replenished quickly enough. Mist items on the buffet were gone and it all looked very empty.
This was definitely not a leading hotel of the world experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, not facing streets.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank dagGothenburg_Sweden
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the fact that we did not meet your expectations. Please note that our wide variety of bathroom amenities is placed on the cabinet underneath the mirror rather than in the shower itself due to some its fragile cardbox wrapping. All our rooms feature double glazing and should not allow any outside noise to come in unless one of the overhead air vents were kept open which I would like to apologize for that this was not explained properly. We would be very grateful if we would get the opportunity to change your mind about our property in the future therfore I would like to ask you to contact me personally for any upcoming visits to Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
Director of Rooms

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was very surprised to see the negative reviews on this hotel. We stayed here for three nights which was not nearly long enough. It is in a central location and within walking distance to pretty much everything. The staff was outstanding from the doorman and front desk staff to the servers and housekeeping. Our room was perfect, overlooked the canal and the clock tower. We had lots of space with a balcony off the sitting room and one off of the bedroom. Unfortunately it rained most of the time we were there so we didn't get to use them much. The lighting wasn't a problem in the room as some other reviewers have stated, but you need to hold the light switch for a few seconds to adjust the lights to full, otherwise they are quite dim.
We went to Freddy's every night, the first two we had the pleasure of meeting Gert who was tending bar. Not only an excellent bartender but had some great recommendations for "local" sites.
The breakfast and room service was also very good, but there are so many fantastic restaurants close to the hotel it was hard to choose.
The only warning I would pass on is to watch the hot water in the bathroom, it is VERY hot, almost scalding.
This is the third hotel we've stayed at in Amsterdam, I would absolutely stay here again and again. I'd move in if they'd let me.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rona_kami
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Good central location; beautiful building; attractive lobby and bar area. Enjoyable hotel boat cruise of canal with knowledgeable captain.We were fortunate to be upgraded to a lovely canal view suite although the room is rather dark and cramped. We enjoyed a canalside table at the Brasserie on our first night. Reception and waitress service were good but we found the concierge quite unhelpful and there was no useful tourism information in the room which is unusual. Other reviewers have noted the odd lighting system and we agree that it is ludicrous. Out of 4 light switches in the lounge area only one worked so the area was in constant darkness and unusable after dark. The lights in the bedroom and bathroom did work, but even when switched off there appears to be an auto sensor system so if you get out of bed at night, the light will come on automatically, waking your partner. Also beware that it will only stay on in the bathroom for about a minute and then you will be plunged into darkness to find the door. The light also would come on during the night for no apparent reason (unless it was activated by one of the mice we spotted in the lobby running up to our room!). Freddie's Bar was grubby and we sat for 15 minutes with no service despite not being busy so we gave up and went elsewhere. The air con also didn't work properly and it was extremely hot in the room especially at night. Not up to usual 5 star standards unfortunately.

1  Thank Travellers7462
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with regards to your recent visit to De L'Europe Amsterdam. Your postive as well as your less postive feedback is taken very serious and will be shared amongst the team and addressed accordingly.

All of our rooms feature iPads with a specially designed De L'Europe application which serves as our guest directory and many of our bedroom lights work on a dimming system which means that if you keep pressing a swith the lighting will go brighter or dimms. Please accept my apologies that this was clearly not communicated when you were being shown to the room on arrival.

It would be most appreciated if you get in touch with me directly in order for me to find out whether any the issues raised were reported during your stay and to also assist you with any possible future bookings. Hopefully we will get a chance to redeem ourselves and that I may personally overlook your stay in the near future. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
Director of Rooms

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Loved this hotel. Particularly enjoyed the canal-side bar on Kings Day! Courteous service, excellent breakfast buffet, comfortable rooms and good beds. It made a wonderful pied a terre in Amsterdam. We will definitely return