“Old outside,funky inside”

Ranked #16 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oslo, Norway
“Old outside,funky inside”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

we arrived for an extended weekend,and got the rooms we had asked for.
with a beautiful view to the canal and a small balcony

very comfortable;,bathroom great,but too little light in the wardrobe

Unfortunately the pool and spa was closed for renovation so we could not make use of it,but from previous visits I know it is very nice
The bar has a dj playing in the weekends and the old lobby really is swaying.
The breakfast is nice but remember to ask about ordering your egg dishes;they are extraa but delivered free mostly...
beautiful location and a terrace where you can enjoy lunches too.
The location is off course very good,you can walk to many interesting places/shopping/etc from your doorstep

why do you want modern, unpersonal hotels when you can enjoy last century opulence with todays comfort?

-book a private boat from the concierge and leave from the hotel,a very nice sightseeing awaits you.you can be dropped anywhere or return as you please.

Room Tip: facing the canal is always good,however;AWAY from the junction
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed December 29, 2013

If planning memorable stay in Amsterdam this is the place! Rooms are beautiful ... large, with great decorations, excellent bathroom, music available in every single corner of the room, iPad for ... whatever you wish. Breakfast ... well, you have to try! All is tasty and you will have a great choice! And for lunch and/or dinner - go to the restaurant that has incredible food!

Room Tip: Every time I had a different room and alway I was very happy :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GRAZ20
UK
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We spend every Christmas in Amsterdam and have holidayed at a number of the 5 star hotels the city has to offer and we can say that this hotel did not disappoint! On arrival for our 4 night stay we were upgraded which is aways pleasant. Our room, 315, was an inner courtyard room and the quiet this afforded was excellent - living in the countryside we hope to have quiet rooms and this was fantastic. The facilties in the room were more than adequate and the housekeeping staff were very prompt with our everyday requests for fresh milk and in any other requests that we had. We never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes from telephoning them to arrival. The room was cleaned very well and the turn-down service which some hotels have stopped, made a welcome return.
The brasserie where we had daily breakfast was pleasant, we enjoyed sitting at the window seats and watching the world go by. The range of breakfast goods was good and the staff were very friendly and efficient.
The highlight of the stay had to be the Christmas dinner the in 2 Michelin starred Bord 'Eau - it was wonderful. Every course was amazing and the fact that the service was not stuffy but eager to inform and friendly enhanced our experience. I would heartily recommend the restaurant for its innovative menu and the finesse of its staff. We also took our nightcaps in Freddy's bar and this too was enjoyable - my husband particularly liked the smoking room so he didn't have to brave the chilly winds of the season. I liked the fact that all the staff were so friendly and willing to engage in conversation. It made you feel that the staff really cared about the quality of service and when on Boxing day some of the waiting staff from the restuarant came to shake our hands and ask after us - well I thought that was a nice touch.
The reception staff and concierge were equally ready to help and get tickets, taxis etc... we couldn't fault the experience.
We will be returning to the hotel without a shadow of a doubt and would recommend it to anyone staying in the city.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Loved it thirty years ago,
Loved it twenty years ago
Just stayed there for Christmas 2012 and still love it

Breakfast room service great

Brassiere food excellent. Could not get into fancier dining spot

Spa under renovation

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Just back home after three nights in room 126, with a great view, wonderful bed and a beautiful bathroom. The staff was very proffessional and friendly. This is why I will not complain of minor problems. The breakfast was great, and the lunch at two star Michelin restaurant Bord'eau one of the best ever tasted. Will come back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Room 126 with a balcony and a view to the Amsel, expensive, but worth it.
1 Thank Odd Karsten T
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Since dining in the hotel 30 years ago, I have wanted to stay there. It was worth the wait. A massive renovation and expansion has made the L'Europe one on the great hotels of the world. We had a junior suite (#318) in the new Dutch Masters wing. It was spacious and beautiful. The marble bath features two sinks and separate tub and shower. The hotel is state of the art, with the latest technology.

The staff is most eager to help, and quick to learn names. They tend to walk you to whatever point you seek, just to make sure you are comfortable. Freddy's Bar provides a perfect spot for cocktails. There is even an attractive smoking room with a fine selection of cigars. One night Freddy's Bar was crowded, so the barman walked us to the Promenade, where we were served by another bar with comfortable seating and a marvelous view of the Amstel River. A large portion of the hotel is actually on the water. The Brasserie features excellent river views as does the outstanding two Michelin star Bord'Eau fine dining restaurant.

The location of L'Europe is absolutely perfect. It is almost an island sitting on the river, but right in the center of shopping, sightseeing and dining. The perfect place to stay in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We were in room 318, a delightful junior suite in the Dutch Masters wing. I have the feeling that a...
1 Thank sfinestone
Holland
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stay a few nights in Amsterdam every 1-2 months for shopping and visiting friends and family as I live on the other side of the country. Previously stayed at The Grand, Pullizer and Hilton (Double Tree)
For some reason the hotels i normally stay in were full or the rooms or suites I prefer were unavailable so I decided to look around a bit. I called L'Europe because I wanted to know of they had opening windows. (I dislike airco-rooms if I cant turn it off and windows don't open)

Mainly due to the very friendly, helpfull and genuine woman I spoke to at reservations (thank you Wing) I decided to book this hotel for a change. Best decision I ever made!!! I loved it!
I think all reviews before me already pointed out all the great things about this Hotel. I really would not know what to add. Great rooms, both in the 'dutch masters' wing as in the Rondeel. I asked to see all categories while there and I loved each and every room they showed me.
Yes they come at a price. But if you can afford it, go for it, its worth it!

I had a lovely room, in blue, with a small balcony overlooking the water. Just what I wished for.
But I am not going to sum up everything all others have already mentioned. Its all true and better even.

My main compliment to this very luxurious Hotel is that every member of the staff I met there was able to adress me exactly the way I like it. And I strongly believe they have that ability with every guest that stays there. I felt comfortable and at home, where as in other hotels I often feel a bit of a misfit. A lot of times expensive luxurious hotels come with a certain 'coldness' and that makes me feel uncomfortable. But not here. This felt exactly right. Basically I think each and every person in that hotel has the capability to make you feel comfortable, no matter what it takes to make you feel like that!

And that, ladies and gentlemen..is priceless.

My compliments. I'll be back....:)

Room Tip: I have seen all categories and loved them all. There is no 'bad' room in that hotel, and for...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo