“Colour blind”

Ranked #17 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, UK
“Colour blind”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is one of Amsterdam's finest old hotels and the staff who looked after us were great. What a pity that this great hotel has been decorated in such a curious style. The first suite we were shown to was an overpowering red all over. I couldn't have enjoyed a night there (the noise from the trams didn't help either). We were offered alternative rooms which were a vivid blue (also overwhelming) or a mouthwash green. We went for the latter - despite it being green all over (walls, curtains, ceiling, chairs, etc). After two days there, I was almost getting used to the decor but would have enjoyed my stay there far more without the green. A pity as there are good things about this hotel, particularly the Brasserie restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie1001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
chennai
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Recently went to amsterdam and stayed in the hotel for 4nights. Was very disapointed. The bed is suppose to be an king/queen size bed however it was 2 single beds attached together. No 5star rating hotel will ever put 2 attached single beds! The beds are the most important the quality or the mattress and pillows have to be of the highest. The curtain was broken at the edge and the lighting is extremely poor in the room. during my trip 3 out of 4 times you had to remind the reception abt the turn down service and one day they didn't even make the room for the day. The concierge I feel in a great hotel is always suppose to be best. We couldn't get reservation in our own hotel restaurent. And they would never call you bk with any information and the ipad reservation in your room definitely doesn't work!! There was a mouse in the lobby when I told the receptionist they apologised and dismissed it. The door man is so lost half the time. He is too busy taking 20 min per guest so he will never attend to you.we asked for a cab. Any hotel at that level will have cabs available at the spot. Not tell you it's not easy or it will take time !! The breakfast is ok, but the waitress Nita is very rude. I asked her to try and get my steak and eggs soon as I am pregnant and we had been waiting for a while. She told me didn't I know that steaks take a long time. In no 5star hotel will the staff talk back to you! They are suppose to help and give service to the highest. I stay in all 5s tar top rated hotels. Such as badrutts palace st mortiz, de bregues four seasons Geneva or four seasons Prague etc. if the hotel is exceptional you will forgive the smaller mistakes. But this hotel has to revamp its staff and hotel if they ever want to reach a caliber they say they are at. Quite shocked after looking at its ratings on tripadvisor. Think tripadvisor should send one of its experts to assess the hotel before putting it so High on its list.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nilly67
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for having taken the time to give us feedback with regards to your recent visit to our hotel. I am very sad to read that your experience at De L’Europe did not meet your expectations and truly wish I would have been made aware of your unhappiness whilst in residence in order for me to have been able to take immediate action to turn things around. May I please invite you to email me privately with your reservation details in order for me to conduct an investigation? I am confident that once given a chance for us to redeem ourselves you will also get to experience the service and accommodations we like to pride ourselves with.

Warm regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
jbronsveld@leurope.nl
Delhi
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Great service from the arrival till the last moment - large rooms and suites . a perfect choice for a romantic stay in Amsterdam. Nothing to say on the breakfast - clean, perfect, efficient with a large selection of fresh fruits.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MaxModesti
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The hotel De L'Europe Amsterdam is absolutely incredible. OK, so I have started my review in the most clichéd way possible...but really, it *is* incredible! From the moment you walk in to be greeted by a flurry of doormen, bell hops, attentive desk staff and that incredible long room with a circular bar at a the end with a vista out to the river, you just know you are somewhere that is out of the ordinary in every way. Our room was brilliant with reproductions of the Dutch masters on our walls, the king sized bed was a tired travellers dream come true and the bathroom was simply awesome with floor to ceiling marble and an air of opulence that permeates through the whole hotel. The ultra modern (and surely brand spanking new) hi tech LED TV with Bose surround sound system (I kid you not!) is impressive enough, but they also have an ipad for your entertainment in the room with complimentary wifi. How could we not be blown away? It is a techie's dream come true. On a funny note, one night my wife and I did smell a waft of marijuana that somehow permeated through the central heating into our room. Neither of us imbibe, but hey, this *is* Amsterdam we are talking about, and we thought it was ironical and funny at the same time! Location wise the hotel is a close walking distance to so many Amsterdam attractions that you will rarely require the use of a taxi. But, the star of the city we felt was the hotel De L'Europe itself! What higher compliment than that could we make? You have to stay here at least once in your life...because it will stay in your memory forever!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VicNicholas
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a great hotel, and thus far, the only one I've stayed at in Amsterdam. The place just completed a massive refurbishment, and the place sparkles. It's sharp and elegant, to be sure. The Dutch Master suites are large and luxurious, and if you can manage a canal view, get it. I have a sentimental attachment to this place, but there are only two things which diminish my enthusiasm: The place had no hot water one morning, which was a pretty discomfiting development; and the crowd this white-glove hotel attracts tends towards the aged and starchily moneyed, not the kind of people we naturally feel inclined to spend our time with. Not that it's any choice of theirs, really, but be prepared to eat breakfast in a room full of bad plastic surgery.

Room Tip: Canal views are the best, in our opinion.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BillScurry
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were upgraded into an extremely large suite in the new part which has been converted from a bank. Very comfortable and good dutch breakfast in our room. The luxury restaurant is closed on Monday night so we had oysters and dover soles in the brasserie. All the staff were exceptionally pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank GGPtrs
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hotel is in the heart of Amsterdam. Upon checked in I was upgraded to Junior Suite room. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in Europe. It is an excellent hotel not only in location, but also in its quality of room and lobby lounge, quality of services and quality of breakfast. The staff are very helpful and friendly. I stayed there 4 nights. One night I visited Board'eau Bar and drink a glass of red wine. When I asked for the bill the bartender said in a very friendly way that he owe it for me. Very impressive. What I like most about this hotel is its bath room. It is very luxury, well and modernly equipped, and its really comfortable. I grade this bath room is the best of every hotel bath room I have ever stayed in more than 70 countries.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Darnel-HDI
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear guest,

WOW! We are truely thrilled that your stay with us has made such an impact. It has been an absolute pleasure looking after you and hopefully we get the chance to do so again very soon!

Warm regards,