“People watching”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #19 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our European vacation and this hotel was by far the best place we stayed. We had a junior suit with a balcony. We arrived early Sunday morning and was very tired from our 8 hour flight. The bed was so comfortable and had the biggest pillows I have every seen. The bedroom was quiet and dark so no problem sleeping during the day. Room service was very accommodating bringing up anything we needed. When we got up we sat out on our balcony and had the best time watching everyone passing by on their boats. They were having a blast. Family's and friends had pot luck style dining, drinking and did not have a care in the world. So much fun. The room was amazing. The bathroom had the best tub I could have relaxed in it all day. The location was perfect walking distance from shopping and the square. Everyone was very helpful and so nice. I did not get to try out the spa, but it looked really nice. If you want a romantic place to get away to for the weekend to relax and have a lot of fun this is the perfect place for both.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony on the river.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,606)

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I recently stayed in a beautiful junior suite facing the canal and the room was beautiful, quiet and spacious. The hotel itself is in a wonderful and charming location but there were several service issues that I encountered during my stay and then again when a friend and I went to dinner on Sat. night at the Hoofdstad Brasserie. I had already had one meal there by myself sitting on their wonderful terrace but it was a less busy night and the service was fine and the meal delicious. I went back on Sat. night and the service was terrible and disorganized and our waiter's excuse was that there was a private party of 14 that was causing the delays. We had asked for a table by the window since it was supposed to rain and they would not let us continue to sit outside but then once seated, they made us move again saying that table was reserved already. So, we sat at a less than desirable table but no one did ever show up for that window table and then our main course arrived a full hour after our starter course. The restaurant seemed to be very short staffed and our waiter was frazzled and not very service oriented.
The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful but again, there seemed to be some disorganization as requests made prior to arrival were not on record.
I loved the hotel itself and can recommend it but don't expect 5star service in every area.

Room Tip: I only saw my room which was a junior suite facing the canal(no terrace) and it was very comfortable...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank moremiles
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have been attending this hotel for a venue end of June. the setting and atmosphere in this hotel are unmatched. Food is delicious, the rooms are excellent; I would recommend this hotel to all travelers, looking for affordable luxury.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Not sure how I should rate this hotel. Our first room was pleasant enough, nothing special, but we were woken up at 5am by the floor light sensors coming on. Feeling somewhat jet lagged, we tried to ignore it but it wasn't soon till they went off again. A couple of minutes later, the noises we could hear in our room made it obvious we had a 'visitor'. I bolted up out of bed whilst my husband looked around to investigate but couldn't find anything so we turned the light back off and tried to go back asleep. Within seconds the glasses on the table were clinkering and that was enough for me. We rang reception and they offered to send someone up but we told them not to bother, we were going to shower and pack our bags so they could find another room for us.
We were upgraded to a large suite that was very nice, but considering the circumstances it was probably the least they could do. The continental breakfast was nothing special and on check out we were questioned if we 'took some bacon' one morning, which we didn't, which wasn't the most pleasant of conversations to have, especially after the charades of our first night! The dinner on the terrace was quite nice. The location of the hotel was convenient to everything we wanted to see foot, although we did take a taxi to and from the station as it was too far to walk with luggage.
Overall, I think I would still recommend this hotel, just beware of the ' Siberian Hampsters'.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kobe22
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Taking the old and smashing it with the new, this hotel is modern, warm, and a happy place to be. Amsterdam was a strange city to me, but the moment I entered our room my jaw dropped. My favorite color is mustard, yea appalling to some, but it's a happy color people and out room was a bronzy mustard color with rembrandts on the wall, a stunning terrace over the canal and a modern as you can get purple bathroom. The interior designer deserves huge props to pull off such a task in such a tasteful manner. The concierge booked us dinner at two restaurants of which I will never forget. De Vief Viejen (well, something like that, English: the five flies) was the first and it was drop dead yummy. It's Dutch food made at it's best. The best experience and food I have ever eaten came from Le Rive at the intercontinental. Nothing on any continent has touched it, and I was a vegetarian at the time and the chef created an entire pre fixe menu of 5 courses which was actually like 20, and course on top of course topped the next. When you stay at hotel de l'europe, which you should, get them to book you a dinner at Le rive with drinks afterwards at the secret unmarked bar that was like hogwarts gone achy. (the concierge will instruct you on how to get in). Have fun and enjoy the tulips!

Room Tip: Try and get a canal view, and a terrace really makes the experience.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Very commercial location, although on a canal. Beautiful room, poor service at front desk and restaurant. Just too big - would have preferred smaller boutique hotel on more residential canal. Just sorta misses!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2012

From the moment you arrive until you check out you are aware that you are in a first rate old world hotel. Every amenity is available. The staff is elegant and professional and ready to assist in whatever you need. Restaurant and staff are worthy of 5 stars. Friendly, not stuffy atmosphere, but with elegance and style. Perfectly and centrally located. We look forward to returning!

Room Tip: We were in 506 which was a corner room with great views!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple