“You Wowed Me :)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“You Wowed Me :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Wow!! -That's how I have to begin my review.. Wow... One of the best hotels stays I have ever experienced, and I travel a lot. Decided to stay at this property based on its reputation and location..
But, Now, I plan to return here based on its Service and Staff. Words cannot express how this hotel Wowed me.. Everything done to perfection with attention to detail. It never let me down during my stay. This hotel has some of the most professional and courteous staff members of any hotel I've ever stayed at..
Upon arrival, Rene, the doorman greeted me with a big smile. Jordan the bellman was friendly and super efficient handling my luggage, and he did it with care, as I told him I had my camera equipment inside. Then Claudia at reception began my check-in as professionally as one could expect. Lizabeth at reception was extremely helpful every time I needed something when others were busy attending other guests at the reception desk. During Breakfast Paul was so cordial and friendly I wanted to have breakfast everyday in the hotel brasserie overlooking the canal. The Buffet was delicious and well priced.
The Concierge Chef Concierge, Eff, is an invaluable asset to this hotel. He was so insightful, and knowledgeable that I wish he was the concierge at every hotel I'll ever stay at. He went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure my stay was a memorable one..Never once did I feel the service was anything less than 5 Star and 5 Diamond....
The rooms were another WOW.. If you can afford the Dutch Masters Rooms..Go for it!! these Rooms are amazing with terrific canal views!! You won't be disappointed if you stay in one..
Btw, I loved the dual 110-220 volts outlets!!! Great idea!
In Amsterdam if there is a finer hotel, I'd like to see it.. Gresham Palace in Budapest comes close to this but, "De L'Europe" is hard to beat. Absolutely, it's a 5 Star, 5 Diamond Experience.

Room Tip: I only want to stay in the Dutch Masters Suites
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank nycstefano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Just came back from a short trip to Amsterdam and stayed at the De L'Europe. We took the shuttle from the airport to the hotel which was quick and easy (and cheaper than taking a taxi - 14E instead of 50E by taxi). Once we got to the hotel, after travelling and being awake for almost 24 hours, I was pleasantly pleased that a room was ready for us, despite it being only 11am. The CSR was polite, lovely and walked us up to the room. She showed us all of the amenities including the iPad and the heated marble floors. She was very observant for as soon as we entered the room and noticed our reaction to the chill she immediately turned up the heat.
We ate at the restaurant on site and although expensive (relative to the restaurants around) the food was quite good and worth the price. The service there was excellent as well. Over the next few days we visited as much of Amsterdam as we could. Tips:
1. Book your trip to the Ann Frank House online as the wait to get in is VERY long. You can bypass the line with a pre-purchased ticket.
2. You can combine a canal tour with hop-on/hop-off service to see the city by Canal and visit the museums as well.
3. Bagels and Beans (close to the Ann Frank house) is GREAT for a cheap but YUMMY lunch - the smoked chicken and avocado sandwich was delicious!
4. Begin your trip at the Amsterdam Museum; you get a good sense of the history and architectural design on Amsterdam which helps the other museums make a bit more sense.
My only issue on this trip was booking the shuttle back to the airport. Although I pre-paid for the ticket and the concierge was kind enough to reserve the shuttle, the shuttle failed to arrive. Because of the delay, I ended up having to take a taxi to the airport and pay an additional 50E.
I am going to try to get my money back, but I am aware that this will probably be an exercise in futility.
Overall I had a wonderful trip. The hotel is well positioned (in the heart of the city) beautiful, clean, and well-appointed with a caring and very dedicated staff. I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: We had an inside room which was lovely. Obviously the canal view rooms will be nicer, but because th...
2 Thank tsahai85
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Recent stay was in May 2012. We found the hotel staff to be so friendly, helpful and courteous.
The Hotel is one of the best I have stayed in, their high tea is to die for. The Hotel is situated right in the middle of the city on a canal, beautifully renovated, the best restaurants. Huge rooms, the decor is different in each one. The bathrooms are stunning, and the latest in design. The towels were the best in Europe. I did not think the hotel was expensive, it was worth every cent. This trip I stayed in other 5 star hotels that were more expensive but not as luxurious.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan S
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I must say I have been impressed by the service and the welcome that the Hotel provided me and my family during my visit. All the staff are friendly and helpful. A point any tourist shall appreciate. I'm glad I booked this hotel which is well located and at the same time makes one's stay comfortable.

Look forward to another visit soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nimbus1281
San Clemente, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

The only two cabs we took were from and to the Rail station, everywhere else we walked. Love the decor of this hotel. Fun. We had a beautiful room, large by european standards. The Bathroom was superlative, huge with separate shower and bath. The towels were glorious. Front desk folks were excellent. Hotel is not cheap which made their breakfast all the more disappointing. A very weak effort at a s deep price. Any cafe in a six block radius would give you a better experience and certainly weren't charging the same price. A good location, a good hotel that could have been much better if they addressed the breakfast issue.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Canamital
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Tripadvisor should take down old reviews after a hotel has had a gut renovation. I almost didn't stay here due to the low ratings dating back before the renovation. But I'm so glad I booked this hotel. I have been to Amsterdam multiple times and have stayed in small and large hotels , this hotel has the charm of a small hotel with the amenities of a fine luxury hotel

Bed was amazingly comfortable with beautiful sheets. The room was decorated in a colorful warm red wallpaper with blown up imagery of 17th century Dutch paintings. There was lots of great lighting in the room and a window that opened onto the street. Very quiet though. There was a nespresso machine and an iPad in my room and also an iPhone recharger.
Bathroom was all marble and beautiful
Breakfast was delicious. Staff polite and helpful . Gym was modern and looking into the canal. Located in the midst of everything . Will return !

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank extinctdu
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We were greeted warmly. Jordan, took us to our room. WOW, beautiful room, floor heated bathroom, huge, internet worked everyone we turned on. Nothing was too much trouble. Reception always friendly and helpful with enquiries and tours. Freddy's was fantastic as was breakfast each morning. This is 5 star plus, congratulations to all the staff, the best we have experienced in our world travel.

Room Tip: We had Room 522, corner but not overlooking the canal.