“Great base for a weekend in Amsterdam”
Review of Hotel Vondel

Hotel Vondel
Ranked #131 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Had a two night stay at the Vondel last summer. It is 2-3 townhouses converted into a hotel, hence the quirky layout inside, with odd sets of steps and a tiny lift. I thought the public areas were very attractive, boho chic style, with a nice outside courtyard too, though if you're into minimalism it wouldn't be for you. The bedroom was quite compact, and it seemed to be packed with quite a lot of soft furnishings, however it had a cosy feel and we had a great night's sleep in the very big (and comfy) bed.

It's in a great position for a short stay, as although the hotel is on a quiet side-street, you are only a 5 minute walk straight across the main road and canal to the main Leidseplein square, 5 minutes across the main road to the right to the Blue Boat company canal cruise main stop (opposite the Hard Rock Cafe), or a couple of minutes down the road to the Vondel Park and then the Rijksmuseum. We were able to walk everywhere over the weekend without really bothering with the trams - it was about a half hour walk to Anne Frank House and a little less to Dam Square.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily stay at the Vondel again (purely because I like to try something new when going away) I would definitely look for a hotel in this area if I were visiting - a much nicer location than the 'central' hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank London0Ripponden4
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear London0Ripponden4,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on this website. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and would definitely recommend staying with us or any hotel in the vicinity. Did you know that Hotel Vondel is part of Vondel Hotels, a collection of boutique hotels mainly located in the Museum & Fashion district? I can surely recommend all of them for an intimate getaway in Amsterdam.

Suzanne Bubenik – Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

On the whole I found my stay here was a positive experience, and I would happily stay here again. The rooms were clean, and everything was in good working order. The biggest plus point was the fact the hotel was close to the Museum district and the beautiful Vondelpark. The main city centre for bars and nightlife was only a few minutes walk away, yet the hotel itself is on a calm residential street. The hotel is just over 10 minutes by taxi from central station, and approximately 30 minutes walk by foot if you are adventurous.

There are a few reasons why I haven't given a "very good" review. None of them are fundamental issues, but each of them combined took a little of the shine away from what as otherwise a good hotel.
- Firstly the walls between the rooms appear to be thin, as we could occasionally here children chatting in the room next door, luckily they were early sleepers and quiet when I wanted to sleep.
- The lifts were incredibly slow.
- The breakfast was an eye watering 19.50 Euros per person.
- The only full height mirror that you could actually look at yourself in was the one in the lift.
- The tissue box which only had two tissues and was emptied on my first night was not refilled on the subsequent two days by house keeping.
- On the second day we returned to our room at 4pm to find that house keeping hadn't yet visited.
- The reception staff were a little cold, and not particularly welcoming. A smile would have been nice.

The rooms are on the smaller side, but compared to other hotels I have stayed in Amsterdam, is was spacious!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Callumx,

Many thanks for choosing our hotel as your preferred place to stay for this visit to Amsterdam; we appreciate the time you took to write this review, since it is with comments like yours we can recognize critical points in our organization.
Although I have learned that your overall experience was fine, I am sorry to read that we did not exceed your expectations. Rest assured that I will personally follow up on the matters described..

Again, Callumx, thank you very much, I hope to be able to welcome you back in the hotel some day.

Suzanne Bubenik - Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We loved this hotel. It has Old world charm with modern amenities. The staff were exceptional, went out of their way to be helpful, friendly, and the restaurant was very nice. Great location also within easy walking distance to Museumplein, Vondelpark, and leidesplein. We arrived in the morning from an overnight flight and our room was not yet available but they had a nice courtyard with large lounges where we could relax until they were ready. Would recommend it and stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Josaltman,

Thank you very much for your great review! I am proud to learn that you really enjoyed your stay with us. Everybody in our team is motivated to deliver the best possible service and quality and the staff is absolutely our greatest asset. I will definitely pass your great review on to our teams.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We did not stay at this hotel, but came for dinner one night in their restaurant JOOST. The room was comfortable and pleasant and was quiet when we arrived, but then became quite noisy as the adjacent lounge filled with people. Their menu is interesting and impressive, with meals featured from many different countries, but the quality of the food was very poor -- tasted like frozen meals that had been microwaved. My vegetable samosas were mostly dough with very little filling, and what there was was tasteless and mushy. My husbands beef dish was mediocre at best. There are many good restaurants close by and I recommend that you try them instead.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Kurseni,

Thank you for sharing your experiences, your feedback is of the outmost importance for me and for the team of Restaurant JOOST.

My sincere apologies for your experience in our restaurant. We take your feedback very seriously and will definitely review our menu items & dishes. We highly value good quality and service in all our departments.

I do hope that you will give us a second chance to prove we can deliver the service and quality that you may expect from us. Please let me know when you are in Amsterdam again, I will make sure we will prepare a great dinner for you.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We enjoyed 3 nights at this hotel. The service was excellent, staff friendly and efficient. The room we had was very small but clean and comfortable. We ate in the dining room each night as the food was superb. My only criticism was that we would have preferred a proper double bed rather than 2 singles pushed together and made up as 2 singles, that was peculiar.
The hotel is in a great location, close to the museums, etc. but was still in a quiet little street.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Denise 0,

Many thanks for your recent stay with us and taking some time to share your experiences on this website. I am really pleased to learn that you had an excellent stay and I will make sure to share your comment with the team since it serves as a great motivational tool to all of us.

Hotel Vondel features several different room types, some of them with a twin bed. We understand that a king bed would have been more comfortable for your trip. Please do not hesitate to contact us for a next trip to Amsterdam so we can make sure you will get a room with a king bed.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We spent four nights at this lovely hotel in may
The hotel is well situated close to Leidseplein and Museumplein
the staff started things off right with a pleasant and helpful attitude
did not have breakfast in hotel there is a kettle in your room and a
very good supermarket on the next street will definitely return

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank John C

Dear Artmanireland

Thank you for taking some time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear that you appreciated our service and our location. We look forward to welcome you back in the hotel on your next trip to Amsterdam.

Team Hotel Vondel

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Loved, loved, loved this hotel! I stayed here for a long weekend with a friend. Vondel is conveniently located just 5 minutes walk from a main tram line, but for those who love walking like me, it's also easy to walk to main shopping and tourist areas. Even though the location is central, Hotel Vondel is on a quiet side street, away from Amterdam's hustle and bustle. The decor is modern and stylish, but the hotel also feels old and historic. Breakfast is fantastic, and you can order an omelet or french toast in addition to the per-prepared buffet. There is also a hotel bar where you get get a cocktail or glass of wine in the evening before retiring to your room.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank sfran_adventurer
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear sfran_adventurer,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and the time you took to share your feedback. I’m proud to learn that you really enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and with us.
Especially good to hear that you appreciated the a la carte items from our breakfast! Freshly prepared by our chef!
Thank you for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you again soon in Hotel Vondel

Suzanne Bubenik – Hotel manager