“Really helpful”

Ranked #138 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
York
“Really helpful”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We spent 3 nights in the hotel; the first night our room, which was beautiful was, somewhat below ground level, and we really wanted a room windows we could look out of. As they were fully booked there was, understandably, nothing they could do. However the hotel couldn't have been more helpful; after the first night they moved us into an even more beautiful room, with a balcony. And they gave us a free bottle of wine, which was both generous and unnecessary!
All the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was brilliant! Added to a quiet location very close to the museums and within easy walking of the whole town, this is where we'll stay when we go back to Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I prefer to stay at the edge of a city on a quiet street, but convenient to get around. Hotel Vondel is a perfect fit for this description. Easy connection from the Central Train Station on the trams, lovely Vondel Street, and very close to the famous Vondel Park, and walking distance to some brilliant museums and art galleries.
The single room on the ground floor was spacious, comfortable, and sharp. The staff members were friendly and helpful. The only fallback is the noise during the evening as my room was right next to the stairs, and the room attendents in the morning. There's once the room attendent left his mop in my bathroom, not very bothered, he mannerly apologised.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
England, Gosport
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Great hotel for the price we paid. Stayed for 3 nights in an executive room. The bath in bathroom was huge and shower over it was great.
Beds very comfy as are the pillows and duvets.
We could hear people in the room next to us at 2am but this was prob because we were asleep so very quiet and they were being very loud.
Restaurant very nice and lounge area. Food really good, drinks reasonable price, better than most hotel prices!
Bar/ restaurant staff were really nice, reception staff not so much.
Hotel location is just behind the first canal of the ring and at the start of the centre, prob 30mins walk to dam square/ red light district, but so much to see on way and pass through, much nicer areas than the actual centre.
Short walk to vondel park and art museums. Across the road from boat trips.
Great boutique style hotel!

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

me and my partner stay in amsterdam twice a year and like to try different hotels/apartments. we usually pay quite a lot for 3 nights but this was only £208 for 3 nights which is great. Hotel itself was lovely with great decor and rooms seemed nice. Only downside is we could not check in until 3 and we arrived by 9:30am so had to walk around in the wet for many hours but that was our fault as we knew check in was 3pm. Also as the building is old our room slanted which at times made you feel slightly sick, mattress topper was like a soft plastic which at night you stuck to and pillows wernt the greatest and considering im like 5'5 my feet were hanging out the bed. Maybe we should have upgraded as we were just in a standard double. Overall the stay was good, breakfast ok and if you want a nice hotel in a great area and for a great price i would definatly recommend this

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have been in amsterdam more times that I can even count and this is one of my favorite hotels in the city. I can coming for a quick weekend trip from Friday and then leaving Sunday so I arrived WAY before check in to just store my bags. The member of staff welcomed us to the hotel around 1030 and said she would check on my room. She was very knowledgeable about my reservation and even knew my booking details just by my last name. I decided to book directly through the hotel after I cancelled my initial reservation made through another outlet. She knew that I had stayed there before and they welcomed me back (this was all being done while she was on the phone and walkie talkies making sure our room was the next to be made up). We were ready to start exploring the city so we just said no rush on the room and we will be back later and dropped our bags. She gave us a map of the city, and told us that she would be there to check-us in until mid-afternoon and hoped we had a great day if she does not see us before she leaves for the day... So fast forward to 1pm and we come back to the hotel. We check in and we get an upgraded room (even the smallest room here is fine) and a small thank you letter for booking through the hotel with two drink vouchers. Great! The room is great and the entire stay was comfortable and hassle free. This hotel has a very hip vibe and I honestly think it is priced way below considering the level of service. Had a beer at the bar (with the voucher) and the service was above par. I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2014

What a wonderful place. From a friendly, easy check in, to the handwritten welcome note in my room, this hotel exceeded my every expectation. The food was fantastic, they have an excellent breakfast buffet, friendly helpful staff and overall just a wonderful intimate hotel that contributed hugely to a wonderful week long stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Wordofmouthistruth
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Vondel for 4 nights earlier this week. We had no problems with the booking and the staff were all very friendly. We arrived before 3pm (you can check in after 3) and were taken straight to our room and were given a map of the city which was very helpful. The room was a standard double, which is a lovely room with a very sophisticated and boutique design! The only complaint was that the room was a little small, and was a bit tricky to get around as the bed almost touched the wall at the other end of the room. On the plus side the shower was lovely!
We didn't pick a breakfast option as we wanted to try some of the other options close to the hotels (cafes and bars ect).
The area that the hotel is in is lovely - its located on a safe side street where there were a few other hotels and some nice restaurants to eat in. Only a 5 minute walk from the Leidseplein Square we couldn't have been in a better location.
We both decided that we would definitely stay again, the price was extremely reasonable for the service we received and for how comfortable we felt in the hotel. I would recommend this to families and couples, but maybe not big groups of friends as it is quite a walk from the bar/club/red light district area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room thats not in a basement as I've heard this can be a little noisy and stuffy.