“Good hotel but...”
Review of Hotel Vondel

Hotel Vondel
Ranked #127 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

This is obviously a decent 4-star hotel in a prime location in Amsterdam, so I wont focus on that.. Instead, ill meantion which things i did not like about the hotel:

1- The flooring of our room is not leveled, and im not just talking a couple of degrees slanted. If my wife and i stood at opposite directions kf the room, i would actually be looking "down" on her.
2- Housekeeping needs work. We left our room around 10 am and returned around 3 pm on two consecutive days to find our room had not been made up yet. On the third day, once it had actually been made up, all the housekeeper did was vacuum and arrange the bedding (did nit replace the drinking glasses, did not replace bedding, did not clean the dust off surfaces.
3- Hotel front door closes at 8 pm. I really do not understand why a 4 star hotel would do that in a safe neighborhood in one of the safest European cities. Its jnconvenient to have to use my keycard each time i want to go into the hotel lobby after 8, it also makes me feel like i live in a school dorm.

The rest of our stay was allright. Staff is kind and acommodating.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in vondel.
I booked the small double room, but I found the size of the room really good in duch standards.
A clean cheerful room with 3 windows.. Nicely decorated and lots of space for clothes and other things. Wifi is reliable as well
The price was so good compared to a similar standard hotel in central location
The hotel is very central but far from the noise though.
Staff we're very friendly and helpful.
The only thing that was kind of disturbing is a weird voice coming from the drainage of the bathroom. But the whole stay experience is good enough to make me forget such disturbance.
I'd certainly consider staying again at vendol

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel. We had a weekend city trip so for this it was absolutly ok. Super close to anything you want to see or do in Amsterdam. Good connection to public services. Hotel staff is polite. Rooms look great on the website - they are not as great in reality. They are absolutely ok though. For us the mattresses were extremely soft so sleep wasn't perfect but for 2 to 3 nights it is ok. The lobby and the restaurant have a cool style. Good hotel for a city trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I stated here for 1 night earlier this month. On arrival I was upgraded to a suite, so straight away, a sign of a great hotel!

The room was designed beautifully. Great character to the hotel.

Good location. Lots of restaurants nearby. Professional and friendly staff. Love the celebrations chocolates by the bar!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I've stayed at the Vondel whenever I'm in Amsterdam and typically 2-3 times annually for many years. In the areas that business hotels excel, the hotel is "just ok". They make smallish mistakes. They are not particularly efficient in service at the dining room. I'm not convinced that profit is a significant motive of the owners of the hotel; if it were, they would likely do a better and more planful job of building customer loyalty and new customer activity. But, unless you require a mistake proof and efficient hotel, which it is not, I fully recommend the Vondel. It is well priced. It has great breakfasts. It has lovely people working there. And, in my experience It has a soul. Most chains catering to business - with the possible exception of a few - don't earn their existential real estate. The Vondel does, I think. You will find nice people who want you to have a relaxed and happy experience. That's worth a lot to me.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Vondelstraat
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, down a very quiet backstreet just 5 mins walk from Leidesplein, where there are plenty of Bars and restaurants.
I had seen reports that the rooms on the lower floors were quite noisy, so I requested a room on one of the upper floors, which turned out to be at the back of the hotel and was so quiet you would have never of thought you were in the middle of a city!
The room was very clean, with a brilliant chambermaid that left the room as new every day.
I would recommend this hotel strongly.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed in November for 2 days/3 nights.

We arrived later in the evening, about 8 pm, and all that was left was a basement room. We weren't too thrilled about it, asked kindly if there was anything else available, but there wasn't. We were told that there would be in the morning, which was very nice.

The room was very nice. A bit small, but very clean, modern, and still bright even though it was in the basement. We decided we didn't need to move in the morning - after all, we are only in the room to sleep.

The front desk staff was very helpful. Being first time visitors to Amsterdam, we asked for a city map and where would be a good place to grab a bite to eat. They directed us to a touristy area with 100s of restaurants just a 5 minute walk from the hotel. It was great.

The wifi was included with our room, and worked well. No problems at all.

My only real complaint is with the basement room. Yes, we could have moved, but it would have been more hassle than it was worth. The noise level was really bad...we must have been below the restaurant, because the footsteps stopped around midnight and started up again around 5 am. Other than that - we didn't hear a peep the entire time.

The hotel is close to all the museums, canal tours, shopping districts - both affordable shops, and luxury shopping are very close by, everything really! You can't beat the location. I would stay again for sure, just not in the basement!

Room Tip: request no basement room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple