WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Vondel

Hotel Vondel
Ranked #134 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Good location, decent price. Bad service and small rooms!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My travel agent booked this hotel for a business trip, stating that I was arriving early due to flights. When I got there, I had to wait almost 2 hours to get a room. Not so great when you are coming from the US (overnight)!

In general it feels like the hotel was really good, but then went on booking.com and therefore has sold a bunch of rooms to tourists. It was all foreign tourists, so it was not suitable for a business trip.

Also, Internet is not included, nor do they have blowdryers, irons, ironing boards in room. Major tourist hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is cool and funky. My sister and I had room 232 which had twin beds as requested. It was a large room with places to put your bags without constantly tripping over them. Location is brilliant in a quiet and pretty street within easy walking distance to Rijksmuseum, Concertgebouw, Vondel Park and restaurants. The bathroom was very big and when we requested a non-slip bathmat for the shower the response from housekeeping was immediate. Power points are conveniently located at the TV console for re-charging gadgets. There is a coat rack near the door - that's a thoughtful inclusion. Even though we were located near the elevator, the room was very quiet. I would have liked more coat hangers and there was absolutely nowhere to leave handwashing. Whilst the service at check-in was cool and efficient the staff came into their own when one of our party went missing for a few hours and we were very concerned. They phoned the police, served us each a complimentary glass of comforting wine during an excruciating time and showed great care and concern. They sourced gluten-free bread for me for breakfast and I only had to ask for it once and it was served to me every morning. I would definitely return here if visiting Amsterdam again.

Room Tip: 232 is a twin room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wicklow, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located just off the main entrance to Vondel Park, two blocks from the Riksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. It is located on a lovely quite road around the corner from the Marriott Hotel. It is three minutes from Leidsplein ( a very busy square with lots of bars/restaurants). Our triple room was spacious as was the bathroom, perfectly adequate for three ladies. We did not partake of breakfast (17 euro), across the street in a little park is a dutch pancake house where you can have breakfast on one of the many canals for 10 euro. On the downside, we had a nightcap from the hotel bar on the patio which was a total rip off and we had to whisper so as not to disturb the other guests.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel bar for a night cap.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

On Saturday, July 20, 2013, we were guests at a party in the garden of the Vondel Hotel. The service was very pleasant and good. The served food was very tastefull and nicely presented. The interior of the hotel does need some touch up. Doors were chipped etc.
We had a lovely 2 hours at this party.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oro Valley, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a strange hotel made up of several adjoining buildings. Each has it own elevator. Our room on the 4th floor over the office small, the bathroom door would not open all the way. ( It hit the bed base).
Comfortable bed, good view
Only 3 rooms on our tower floor. Like a private suite. Tiny elevator- only room for 2 adults.
Breakfast provided- as much as we wanted.
Only downside was a moderate charge for Internet access so I did not use it. They did provide a computer for printing boarding passes without charge.
3 minute walk to major tram stops.
We walked most places. For 2-3 days a multiday tram pass for about 10 Euro would be worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David C
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We passed a week-end in Amsterdam as we attended a reunion for former international students. The hotel has a clear design profile. The breakfast was rather expensive, and we did not find that it was worth the price. The room was voluminious and had big windows giving to a nice back yard.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

A flying visit to Amsterdam and a short stay in this hotel - I should start by saying make sure you have the right hotel a few in the area have similar names.

I walked the length of Overtom to get to the wrong hotel and had to cab it back to the correct hotel. This was late at night - I was tired and not happy. The staff at Hotel Vondel greeted me with smiles and friendly happy service. Not the normal dutch service especially at 11:30 pm. I found the same happy friendly service at checkout and again over breakfast - they must be doing something right!

I had one of the basement rooms which I think is fine for a quick stay - not sure I would want it if there for more than a couple of days. The room was ok - bed was nice and soft. I didn't hear noise but I was very tired. Thought the bathroom was nice - great toiletries and shower was strong.

I'm used to hotel irons being terrible so when I called the front desk for an iron I was made up with the state of the art iron. No limescale and dirt came out of it and was better than the one I had have at home making my shirt nice and crisp.

Breakfast was delicious very fresh and great selection. The decor of the restaurant was relaxing just what I needed before a day of meetings.

I would stay here again to see if a longer stay makes me feel the same.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement for longer stays.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business