“disappointen in service”

Ranked #291 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“disappointen in service”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Although room was tiny, my real problem was this: I asked for help from young woman that checked me in, asian, maybe 30 yrs old. I was in need of a fine hat shop and asked if she could find me the best in Amsterdam as I needed a hard to find item (wool basque Beret). She said there were shops down the street..of course but no fine hat shop. All I wanted was for her to look on her computer (and I asked her to do so) and for whatever reason she would not do this. Where is the service? I recently stayed at aRadisson in Hamburg and whenever i had a question they could not answer this is what they did. I had to ask a man in the fine nearby dept store and he kindly referred me to The English Hatter. Never again will i stay at this place. I am not asking for 5 star service, but please take a moment and help a guest!
Thank yiou.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have just returned from the tulip inn I was nervous as after reasding some reviews on here I stayed in room 231 it had new carpet new bed new bathroom I couldn't complain the check inn was quick and friendly . I can't comment on the breakfast as late nights mean later mornings yes the church bells do go off usually around every fifteen mins but how long are you going to be in the room during the day I found shutting the window blocked most of it out and there's aircon in the rooms I would definately stay here again and dnt be put off by some of the reviews on here

• Stayed September 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Had a stay of two nights with my husband and 21 year old son. Great location and cleanliness. It is a shame that you charge so much for WiFi. We stayed in quite a few hotels during our Europe holiday and never had to pay extra for WiFi

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Carole B
toronto
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I got a very good rate on this hotel for one night so I decided to stay here. Location is very good, close to everything. There could improve the rooms, for example installing an AC unit, changing the carpet, etc, but overall not bad especially for one night. Staff is also nice and helpful. Oh, bring earplugs the church bells go off every 20 minutes!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is really what it says it is. We had a room up in the attic it was clean the plug sockets were something to be desired ie not there however our room was right beside the lift so no problem for anyone with mobility issues - room no 410 . It was hot when we were there and the air conditioning did work. I thought breakfast was very good- I defy anyone to say they did not find something they liked it really is very good. Amsterdam is a pretty confusing place to get around we got lost trying to find hotel so for newcomers you walk out of Centraal Station and walk down on your left see Grasshopper and you are there.

Room Tip: room 410 if you want quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arlene570
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Pro's:
- Close to Amsterdam Centraal train station
- Friendly staff
- Bathroom was fairly clean

Cons:
- No wifi. This hotel doesn't have any wifi. You must go to nearby restaurants for wifi.
- No air conditioning. It was warm when I visited, and i needed to leave the windows open. This exacerbates the problem below (loud noises).
- Very loud and busy location. It is near the Red Light District and the central part of Amsterdam. Therefore, it is very loud at night...throughout the night. If it was just foot traffic, it might not be that bad. But, there is also incredibly loud construction noises and service trucks in the early morning delivering goods to local stores. And, there's also the church bells.
- Room feels dirty. Carpet and window drapes seem dirty.
- Bed looks clean but it is completely worn down / soft. I'm a very light person, and I sunk down a few inches in the middle of the bed. I know the beds are used by thousands of visitors. But a worn out bed makes it feel extra dirty/disgusting.

Suggestions for management
- Add wifi and central AC.
- Change carpets and drapes.
- Repaint the interior.
- New beds.

Keep the price low, add those changes, and I would recommend this as a budget hotel. It's still in a very busy/loud location, but with AC, you can keep the windows closed to block some of the sound. Right now, I can't recommend this hotel. It made my visit to Amsterdam uncomfortable for me...and completely ruined it for my girlfriend.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs because it's loud around this area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lightsped

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amsterdam
Tulip Inn Amsterdam Riverside
#233 of 367 in Amsterdam
Red Light District (De Wallen)
Hotel CC
Hotel CC
#142 of 367 in Amsterdam
Centrum
Hotel The Exchange
Hotel The Exchange
#109 of 367 in Amsterdam
Red Light District (De Wallen)
Hotel Luxer
Hotel Luxer
#67 of 367 in Amsterdam
Centrum
Ibis Amsterdam Centre
Ibis Amsterdam Centre
#145 of 367 in Amsterdam

Been to Tulip Inn Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!