“Nice, friendly and reasonable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Piet Hein

Hotel Piet Hein
Ranked #181 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Norway
“Nice, friendly and reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for three nights and found the hotel clean, the staff friendly and the breakfast simple, but nice.

Some of my colleagues got very pokey rooms and were not as happy, so make sure you ask for a room with a bit of space. The location was good, quiet and right next to the Vondelpark and within easy walking distance of Leidseplein. There were several decent restaurants just round the corner.

The hotel was very reasonable and far better than I had expected for the money. The hotel has a large back garden, which is probably very nice in the summer. I would not hesitate to stay here again - if I was sure to get one of their larger rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stayed for four nights at Hotel Piet Hein which is modern, clean and smart. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. they booked a tour for me and the shuttle to return to the airport. the hotel is situated next to Vondel Park and the museums. There are nice restaurants and a bakery selling savoury and sweet pastries, drinks, nearby. If you want to eat a little cheaper you can either take a tram or walk over to Leidseplein. My room was clean and comfortable. I enjoyed my time there - if I could change one thing I would ask them to provide tea/coffee making facilities in guest rooms - being English I always have to have tea each morning before going down to breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank sheilasworld
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Neat clean rooms good hotel overall. Good location close the city center. However staff could be a bit more polite. We have asked for help to carry our luggage. They were not willing to help and they have complained all the way.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank duyguto
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel had a very good reputation in the hands of the same General Manager for over 30 years. I booked our room several months in advance - not knowing about the change - with my credit card as security for our reservation for a 3 nights stay. To our surprise when checking-in I was asked to pay in ADVANCE the final bill including breakfast. When I asked why this was not mentioned in their confirmation I was told recently the hotel has been sold to new owners, they have a new director and advance payment is the new policy. I had no alternative but pay as demanded.
Soon after checking in I informed reception that the light bulb in not working in the bathroom by the washbasin and as there is no window I'll have difficulty to shave in the morning. As we were going out to dinner the receptionist promised to take care of the matter while we will be out. We came back - nothing happened. Next morning I've reported the same to another Receptionist and also that at back of the bathroom door there are only two holes as the hooks are missing to hang our pyjamas and dressing gowns. It'll be down by the time we'll get back from the museum was the promise on day two...and the same promise we had on day three. Finally we checked out on the morning of day four with still no light by the washbasin or hooks on the door and all this for 520.89 euros for 3 nights!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Park and remember it's NOT the same hotel as it was before due to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank peti28
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

i found this hotel very comfortable by its location near museum quarter and its facilities are also enough good for staying for 3-5 days in Amster
unfortunately there is no big shops around hotel where we could buy some food and alcohol

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deem79
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Was on a business trip in Germany and some colleagues and I decided to spend the weekend in Amsterdam. Two days before we landed a room with 3 beds on the 4th floor - a little pricey but given the time of year (May) and the last minute nature, we were very happy! Lots of charm and perfect for the first timers. Great view from the room (wooded area behind) - left the windows open and was very comfortable, until a pigeon decided to fly in in the middle of the night and freak out one of my colleagues who nearly beat it to death. :)

15 minute taxi ride from train station - very entertaining by the way. The staff was helpful and friendly. The bar is a good place to get a pre-dinner drink. The single beds were small for 2 of us (6' 3 and 6' 4), but it was very pleasant, clean place to crash after walking all day and partying all night. Rooms were small, but clean and had everything we needed.

Great getaway!