“Small room, fantastic location”
Review of Hotel Piet Hein

Hotel Piet Hein
Ranked #174 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed for three nights in a single room. Room was on the ground floor, no view to speak of. Room was small, though a good sized bathroom with bath. However, given its location, it is a good hotel when all you need is a place to sleep. Right next to the beautiful vondelpark and very close to the Van Gogh Museum area, it is a great spot to get to the main sites. Tram stop very close by to get you around including back to Central Train station. A short walk to shops and nice restaurants. Free wifi was of benefit. Staff were friendly and breakfast was very good.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Arl1982
Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Piet Hein hotel. The location, next to Vondelpark, is perfect for touring around the city. We walked to museums, restaurants, antique shops, upscale clothing stores, and the boarding point for a canal tour. The staff at the hotel are friendly and very helpful in providing recommendations. We began and ended every evening in the chic hotel bar where we enjoyed drinks and talking with Maarten the bartender. Our room was tastefully decorated with a sophisticated, modern feel. The bed was especially comfortable with soft pillows and plush linens. We will definitely stay at this hotel on our next visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband, myself and my son stayed here for 2 nights last week. First impressions were good as the place looks very contemporary and modern.Husband and I had a double room and our son had a single room.Carpet on the stairs and landings very shabby. Our rooms were basic but adequate. The bed was very comfortable and clean and the bathroom was spotless with lovely white towels and red hot water. Some of the furniture was chipped in places and the net curtain at the window was very dirty.It's a pity that more attention to these small details hadn't been given as it would have made the room so much better.Our sons' room was quite small for a single but he was more than happy with it. The breakfast cost 15 euros extra each on top of the room price which added to the expense. I must say though that the breakfast was lovely and you could have as much to eat as you wanted. As well as bacon, egg and tomotoe there was the usual continental choices.Around the corner from the hotel there were many beautiful designer shops and it made my sons' day when he saw a famous footballer from England in the Burberry shop. The canals and museums and all nearby and you can stroll around the Vondel park opposite. I must say be aware of the bicycles in Amsterdam as according to the information there are 555000 in this city alone. They are absolutely everywhere.On the whole we found the Peit Hein to our liking and we would definitely stay here again..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is my first review of a hotel in Amsterdam. We found the location ideal for cruising Amsterdam as it is very central to most of the sights. The room was small but quaint and served the purpose.... sleeping. We needed to open the windows a bit as the room was stuffy (No aircon). The breakfast was good & enough to charge the fuel cells for the start of the day. The service was very good and the staff were friendly and happy to assist. The price I feel was a bit high but then I don't know what you get for the price else where in Amsterdam. All up, we would return again purely for the location & friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Myself and colleagues are coming to Amsterdam every year since 2001for IBC exhibition and we always stay in this hotel. We saw several improvement and bettering of the building and increasing the number of rooms. Atmosfeare and staff are fine and going there year by year I fell like at home.
Breakfast is large and enough. Concerning rooms, we had occasion to be placed in different rooms at all level. Some rooms are newer and better, other not bad but could be better.
To remark the elevator is slow. This year we experienced very slow WiFi, while last year was very good. Fortunately in the lobby there are available two PC with LAN and using the LAN cable I got fast internet on my laptop. I never stay there for vacation (unfortunately!) but I recommend.
Location is fine and several trams are very close.
Definitely I will be there next year also.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank alfred l
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This small hotel is very nice and very conveniently located: The van-Gogh-Museum, the Rijksmuseum and the Concertgebouw (world famous concert hall) are just around the corner. There are also two tramway stations a few steps from the hotel, so you can reach any destination in Amsterdam in a few minutes.

Rooms are small (I had a very small single room, but I was there on a cultural vacation, not for staying in the hotel), but nicely decorated and very quiet (the hotel is located in a side street, facing the park). It is not "cheap", but hey, we are in a big, expensive city! Breakfast buffet was nice, too, staff was friendly (although I did not need any specific help). There was some irritation about the question whether the breakfast was included in my booking or not, but as I brought my booking confirmation with me, this was settled immediately.

I cannot say anything about the complaints in other reviews (lacking service, lacking cleanliness): Room and bathroom were clean, and service was fine for me. As this is an historic building with some modern wings, room size can vary and depends on the wing you are booked in.

Overall, I think it was worth its money, and therefore I rated them 4/5

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tomHD
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Good location near Vondelpark, close to the city center and all important sightseeings.

Completely agree with other reviews mentioning that plenty of money was invested in lobby. In comparison with the promising lobby interior my room turned out to be much more modest.

Amsterdam is expensive city but even taking this into account I think the price was too high for a VERY small single room on the ground floor.

When I put my bag on the floor there barely was free space. Overall interior looks too eclectic and is composed of unsuitable items. The bed was always wet (due to the climate, for sure).

What was really good is large new bathroom, hot bath is really a good solution for such rainy days.

Anyway, staff was helpful, room service wasn't annoying, so I don't feel that something has spoiled my stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo