“shabby not chic” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #326 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
winchester, England, United Kingdom
“shabby not chic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The only thing that rates this hotel is the location for the Museums.
I had what I can only describe as a garret room in the roof with a vellux
window that didn't shut. The room was extremely tired.
For the price, it was so shabby and in need
of total renovation. A one star not 3!
The breakfast was 10euros extra and one of the worst buffet choices
I have ever seen. A rip off. Better to head toward the nearest cafe.

The sad thing is this hotel is busy as the demand is so high for the location,
guests will book it as the web site is better than the real thing. I over heard a guest making a complaint to the
owner, it was water off a ducks back. Not interested at all, no surprise there!
I found the staff polite and friendly but would I not return to the Blyss even on a free ticket!
The Hotel Vlondel further along is a much better bet choice.

Room Tip: there is no choice room as far as I can see.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank ballnellan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Dry white bread, jam and butter. Bland coffee.

The standard of the rooms are quite poor. The front desk clerks are not attentive or helpfull. For once our room lacked à remote controller. The bath room wasn't properly cleaned. The isolation was terrible in terms of noice

Next time in Amsterdam I'll stay someplace Else.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Bozanovic
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was not bliss. The hotel and service was terrible. I booked 3 nights via Booking.com and regret I did. Euro195 total.

Room 24 was a joke:
A narrow small sized room converted from what looked like was previously the entrance hallway of the building. I've stayed in hotel rooms in Japan known for their small size. Room 24 was smaller than typical Japanese hotel rooms.
The bathroom is a fully tiled small space comprising of a shower, shower curtain, hand basin and toilet. The whole floor space of the bathroom got wet turning into a "swimming pool". To use the toilet I had to wait until the water on the floor drained away and then towel dry the toilet and floor.

Inhospitable and incompetent staff:
The receptionist was not overly welcoming, nor informative. Upon check in I was asked to pay in full. I was short of cash for the 3 nights so offered to pay for 2 nights and pay the balance the following day after getting more cash. That was not good enough for her, I had to pay in full for the 3 nights upfront. She instructed me to go to the ATM around the block.

The receptionist also failed to inform me their routine of locking the reception doors each night thereby eliminating my main route of entry to my room. She didn't instruct me on the alternative route I needed to take which involved a few flights of stairs and many corridors. I had to figure that out late at night by myself with nobody around to ask for help.

Not clean and lack of security. I found a couple of long hairs on the bed upon checking into my room on the first night. Housekeeping were careless leaving my room door unlocked and open after cleaning my room.

Some positives:
Good WIFI. Nice backyard garden area.
The location is very good for Vondel Park, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk, Rijksmuseum and Leidseplein are all within minutes easy walk. Centraal train station, Anne Franks haus and Red L.D are a short tram ride away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mahiwahoo

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Terni, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I’m italian, I stayed in this hotel last year, during the winter for my holidays in Amsterdam with my wife.
This Hotel is terrible!!It’s old, nasty and dirty, the rooms are small and the carpet is filthy!
The beds are combined, broken and the bathrooms is very small!!
The only positive thing is that it’s near the centre of the city and Vondelpark, but it’s expensive and the staff are rude.
The breakfast is very poor and low quality and you must do it in a room like a cellar
Avoid this Hotel!!

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stefano B
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very basic indeed. Our double room looked like a sleeping hall with four separate beds lined up in parallel along the wall. The remote control for the TV did not work - no battery power. The soap container in the bath room fell apart. The cleaning staff left dirty towels on the floor. Most receptionists (new ones every day) were uninterested or close to unfriendly. The bar could not serve what they proposed.

The only good thing was the location - close to Museumplein, Bagels & Beans (where we had breakfast) and the old town. That was the main reason for booking this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I travel to Amsterdam every September and have stayed in quite a few of the 'budget' hotels and generally they are quite good. This was apparently 3 star. The reception was a 3 star and so was the bar and garden that NEVER open. When we arrived the miserable receptionist just look at us, we informed her who we was and demanded that we pay for our stay on arrival. This WASN'T on the website. I generally like to pay when I leave. Anyway, we went up to the room which was a twin when we requested double, the room smelt of damp, the bathroom was not clean(smelt of sewers and damp). Stain on the carpet which looked 'dubious'. The next morning we asked for a different room as we DID ask for a double, the same receptionist refused. I asked to see the manager and she changed rooms for us. However the stay was tarnished by now and we willneverstay there again. False, Rude and downright horrible attitude-room was dated and probably last decorated in the early 90's-NO WAY a 3 star. Sorry but was rubbish!!!!

Room Tip: Dont go unless desperate Terrible Service Rude staff
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chev K
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Free WiFi. Hot water. The only two good things about this hotel. Location not terribly convenient to most of the sights of Amsterdam. Service by everyone was surly. They sat at the computer and were aggravated if you asked them anything. We asked for a nearly place for lunch and were sent off in the wrong direction plus they had no suggestions for a place to grab a quick bite. Not terribly clean, bathroom light didn't work, broken strip on the floor that we fell over constantly until we removed it entirely, no instructions or house rules anywhere. Asking for ice brought a laugh - no ice in the entire hotel. The staff appeared to be all young, female college students simply passing the time. Security appeared non existent despite several cameras. We arrived early for check in and had to haul our luggage to a hallway closet and then to our rooms; no one offered help despite several older women in our group. Gave us the key to the storage area and told us to do it ourselves. Would not provide two room keys. Were told breakfast hours but not advised there was a 10 euro fee. The breakfast was worth about 3 euro at best. If you are looking for a hotel in Amsterdam so yourself a favor and find something else. This place was simply awful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends