New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #224 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Love the location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

So My first visit to the property was the summer of 1999 and went back there in Dec of 2001 with a friend.I usually stay here whenever I visit Amsterdam as quite frankly you can not beat the location.It is next door to a kebab place which is out of the world and a 10 minute walk from the station. The rooms are quite basic,you will get a good nights sleep.I was woken up one time at 1 am by the receptionist as they had some problems with my credit card and I was supposed to check out at 6 am.To make a long story short he got an earful but to his credit he did apologize. I remember in 1999 they had a small breakfast area where they served breakfast .During my last trip i noticed they do not have that any more..I would recommend it just for the location..It is just excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Ronnie1979:
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are very happy to see that you love our central location and have visited with us a few times. We would like to apologize for the late night phone call from reception (especially with such an early checkout) regarding the problems with your credit card. Being so centrally located in an international city dictates that we are vigilant about details such as payment and or correct credit card details prior to a guest checking out. However, we are very sorry that you, as a returning guest, were inconvenienced with this policy. As you correctly noted we now have “room service” breakfast. We find that most customers like the added luxury of having breakfast delivered directly to their room at the time that the guest specifies. With the breakfast area and small buffet a lot of food went to waste as there was no way of knowing precisely how many people wanted breakfast and or would wake up in time to come down to the breakfast area. In order to help our environment and to conserve, room service breakfast has been our solution. We hope that you will continue to stay with us in future visits to Amsterdam and try our “breakfast in bed”. We promise that in your next visit we will have all of your credit card/payment details worked out long before you decide to go to sleep for the night. Let us know in advance of your next arrival to Amsterdam so that we can make certain that you get all discounts available to you as a returning customer and first room choice. Best regards, the staff at Hotel de Gerstekorrel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Was great for what we needed. Central location, very helpful and polite staff. Yes its not a 5 star luxury hotel but as somewhere to change and sleep it was perfect. Some of the reviews have been very unfair. Our room was immaculate and rather large. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MrLittleElf
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Graeme F:
Thank you for your kind review! We are happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed Amsterdam to the fullest and that our central location helped with that. We hope that you will visit with us again soon and let us know in advance so that we can make certain you have the room you prefer and are privy to any special offers we may have. Best regards, the Staff at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Found this Hotel via Tripadvisor & certainly wasn't disappointed with my choice. It is situated fairly central & only 15 mins walk from the train station. It is located on a relatively busy street but the noise wasn't a problem. It was nice late in the evening to sit outside one of the pubs in the street just watching the world go by (under a heater!). The reception staff in the Hotel were very efficient & friendly. Our room (15) was a decent size & included a very small but functional shower & toilet room. The room was a little dated but clean & tidy which is what was important to me. From our Hotel we were able to walk to all the main attractions with plenty of restaurants & bars around about us too. If I ever go back to Amsterdam I would opt for this Hotel (unless I win the lottery!) as the location is excellent and it provides great value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jingsabove:
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed "watching the world go by" on our cozy little block in the center of Amsterdam. We hope that even if you do win the lottery you will still stop by to say hello! If not, we hope that you will consider us your home away from home and book with us again soon. Returning guests' preferences are given top priority. Be certain to check with us before booking to see if discounts are available. Best regards, the Staff at Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you're staying in Amsterdam & want the perfect location then I highly recommend this hotel. It is based in busy city centre right beside dam square & the red light district. Myself & boyfriend stayed & got a double room....it was very clean with bathroom & the size was big enough. The bed was very comfy, for us anyway. The hotel is 2 separate buildings. breakfast has to be ordered & eaten in yor room as there isn't a dining area but this suited us fine as there are plenty of places to eat on your door step. If you're a smoker you can request a smoking room. Our room was at the back no 52 so didn't hear a thing from the busy street but brought ear plugs just incase as we did expect noise with this location. The staff are very friendly & polite & you can purchase/borrow items like hair dryers, toiletries etc in case you forget to bring your own. I read in a few of the reviews about the stairs being very steep.....this is to be expected as most buildings in Amsterdam have steep small stairs so it is unfair that some people mark this hotel down because of that.
We will be definitely staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Kerriann B
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Kerriann B:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated our classic Amsterdam architecture and that your experience overall in Amsterdam was enjoyable. Let us know when you are planning to visit us again so that as a returning guest your room preferences can be given top priority! Hope to see you soon! Best regards from the Staff at Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Amsterdam is one of the most expensive European cities for lodging. From my own research, I had wanted to stay within the "Canal Ring," where it seemed as though most of the action/landmarks/museums were happening. This was the cheapest hotel that I could find that had a few favorable and not horrible reviews on TripAdvisor (although it was still $165/night).

The pros of this hotel:
-Very central location. Arriving and departing from the train station (Amsterdam Centraal), it was a 10-minute walk, which was very convenient.
-Five-minute walk to the Red Light District, shopping district and a variety of restaurants
-Very friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff who helped us navigate our way through the City
-Free WiFi

The cons of this hotel:
-As with many European hotels, the room fit two single beds, and there wasn't much room for maneuvering
-Tiny bathroom with a shower with a one inch ledge, so it frequently flooded the entire floor
-The room was very warm and musty
-I had a shirt stolen when the housekeepers cleaned my room. I am positive of this as I had just purchased the shirt and left it out, and when my room was cleaned, the shirt went missing. I reported this to the front desk, who assured me that the "housekeepers were trustworthy." I mentioned that maybe it had gotten mixed up with the towels or sheets, but my inquiry seemed to fall on deaf ears. This was very distressing to me, and changed my opinion of this hotel from an average/good experience, to a lesser one.

Overall, if I had to do it again (I am a 28-year-old female, who was traveling with my younger sister), I would have trusted my original instinct to stay outside of the Canal Ring, in the Museum Quarter, which is not only cheaper, but in my opinion, was near more attractions and closer to Leidseplein, which is the best area in Amsterdam for restaurants, nightlife and shopping.

Room Tip: There are no elevators--dragging your suitcase up three flights of stairs can be a challenge!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank peachrayz
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Ms. Peachrayz:
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel and thank you for your compliments regarding our knowledgeable staff, very central location and competitive pricing. Our room and bathroom sizes are typical for what one would find in such a central location in a 2 star hotel in the heart of the center of Amsterdam.
We, the staff at the hotel clearly remember your case of the missing t-shirt and considerate it an unfortunate incident indeed. We are proud of our housekeeping personnel, as they are carefully screened and trained professionals. We have not had issues with theft or with items disappearing from rooms. All items left by a guest or found in the hotel are recorded and tracked on our hotel software system and kept in lost & found for quite a long period of time. This gives our guests ample time to contact us and reclaim the item. The morning after you made the inquiry regarding your t-shirt to our reception we had the housekeepers do a thorough search of all outgoing laundry but unfortunately, the t-shirt did not turn up. Possibly we did not do a good enough job at communicating to you how concerned we were or how thoroughly we searched, hence your feeling that your loss “fell on deaf ears” and for that we do apologize.
Though we understand that you like the Leidseplein area, should you decide to stay in the Dam Square area again we would be happy to welcome you back to the hotel!
Best regards,
Tampere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have stayed in several small hotels in Amsterdam city, and this was the best one so far. Number one point is the location. Number two is the no smoking rule and I never smelled any type of smoking during my 4 nights stay. And the third point is the super friendly and helpful service in the reception. And to all Finnish travellers : "Täällä puhutaan myös suomea, mahtava etu !! " We had no problem that there was no breakfast room. There are so may nice cafeterias all around and we enjoyed every morning a great breakfast in different cafeterias. That was a nice program for every I was recommended this hotel by a friend and I was so happy for that. I will definitely come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: we had a room in the third floor and no noise from outside came to the room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Teddington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Superb location close to the Damrak this is a simple hotel for a budget price. My room was small but fine with good shower and comfy bed. Free WiFi which worked. On the 2nd Floor so a bit of a steep climb up the stairs (no lift). The hotel has no facilities other than the reception and the bedroom though they will do you breakfast on a tray. Staff were helpful and polite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo