WINNER WONDERLAND

The Albus
Ranked #63 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Zurich, Switzerland
“Decent Hotel with Friendly Staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel is located right in the heart of the city.
Check in was simple, my reservation was found and I was shown my room.
The elevator can take a while at this hotel, I took the stairs most times.
The room was snug, typical size of a city centre hotel in Europe. The bed was very comfortable!
The bathroom was small and split between the shower and the toilet area. A very strange issue with the bathroom is the glass partition wall between the shower and toilet does not extend all the way to the floor. This gap (around 7 cm) allows water to cover the floor in the entire bathroom to get wet during a shower. Prepare to drop a towel on the floor to dry it off.
The breakfast was nice with a decent selection.
Front desk staff were very friendly and always helpful. Overall, a nice place.

Taco v, Owner at The Albus, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, but I am sorry to read about the discomfort of the wet floor in your bathroom. Could you please be so kind to e-mail me the concerning room number on lisa@albushotel.com so we can do something about this as soon as possible? That would be very helpful!

We hope to welcome you back on your next stay in Amsterdam!

With kind regards,
Lisa Jurgens
Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights to celebrate my anniversary with my wife.I have travelled the world and never felt the passion to share my negative experience before. But it was the incompassionate response from the management team followed by the Director that put the icing on the cake.
The facts are as follows:
We entered the room upon arrival and there was a lopsided chair that needed fixing emmediatly.
We then captured a Bug that was in between the Pillows.
In the Morning we discovered that the bed sheet was significantly Torn.
I then discovered that I had been sleeping on a pillow case that had several old,dried blood stains on it. OMG.
The night was uncomfortable because the quality of the double glazing was not sufficient to keep enough noise out and to add to this there was noise from either the room upstairs or the footsteps that echoed from the Hallway.
The cleanliness of the room and hotel was on a supperficial level only as we experienced dust on our ledges in the room and stains on the glass all over the hotel.There was a 3 hr delay from reception to have some tea bags sent to the room. And although we did'nt mention this at the time there was a stale urin aroma in the lift with a visible wet stain on the carpet, but by this time we had given up caring.
We paid around 300 euros for this 2 night experience. Recieved a chocolate package as compensation for our discomfort. We where also offered the opp to change the room but did not accept.
I would value this experience equivalent to a 50 euro B&B.
On this occasion we made the mistake of judging the book by the cover and infact the reviews indicated a 4.5 which is good.So we booked it.

I normally coach my managers to consider that when a customer complains, we should consider it a gift as this is an opportunity to recover the customer.

We shall never return to this Hotel or Hotel chain again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Scorpianhex
Taco v, Owner at The Albus, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear valuable guest,

However I do not agree with all your comments (as discussed per e-mail), I do feel very sorry that we could not provide you a sense of bliss during your stay in the Albus.

Regarding the linen, I would like to inform you that we have taken this complaint very seriously. The Operations Manager of our linen supplier has visited the hotel today to investigate the problem and he will come up with direct solutions for the damage and stain issues. He stated that the tiny black (not red) spots on your pillow case were caused by a technical problem of one of their machines, which they have already fixed.

I regret the fact that we could not prove you that we highly value service recovery and therefore that you did not accept our offer to move to another room. I do believe that we could have made things better and most of all made your anniversary celebration unforgettable in a positive way.

With kind regards,
Lisa Jurgens
Deputy Manager
Lille, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed in the hotel just one night 22nd of November, And we love this hotel so much. The stuff was very helpful and responsive. The room was very clean and with free Nespresso at the room. location is very comfortable. Bathroom was with the rain , shower. The room was very worm, thanks to the water heating. The only concern was the isolation of the entrance door of the room at the 4th floor, in the morning it was noisy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Schagen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Friendly service at the lobby, even when we came in at night.
First impression was that the hotel had alot of rooms but the hallways were narrow . Not surprising because the hotel is mid-center of Amsterdam.
The room was small, but everything was there. Great bed with a choice of pillows. Room was very clean.
Breakfast restaurant was also tiny and when I got in it was very busy. Happy to say I was seated right away. Breakfast itself had not alot, but enough choices. Everything I had was fresh and delicious and service (for drinks) was swift and friendly.
All in all a really good stay in the middle of Amsterdam. Recommended.

1 Thank Miriam Z
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had such an enjoyable stay at The Albus and could not find fault with it which is great for me as I am always seeing things that need improving. The staff were very friendly and could not be anymore helpful, from the cleaners to front desk to management. The two rooms we had were clean bright and very quiet, as we had requested. The nespresso machine in the rooms was such a treat, and the sights were all within a 15 minute walk. I found this hotel just like Amsterdam itself, Clean Bright, Friendly, and simple to find my way around. I will definitely stay here again when I return to this city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paula H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic couples weekend in Amsterdam staying at The Albus for my husbands 40th Birthday. Chic, designer hotel. Nice breakfast buffet, although restaurant is very small. Great touch having a coffee machine in the reception area. Bedrooms are lovely, very modern with comfy bed and the most amazingly comfortable pillows I have ever slept on! As a frequent traveller in the UK, Europe and US staying in 4 & 5 star hotels, this is a very good hotel and we will definitely be staying here again.
Couple of tips:
Our room was at the back of the hotel so very quiet, no street noise
Take extra hangers as there are no drawers, so storage is limited.
Chipsky King at the top of the street offers a good late night take out!
Make a reservation at nearby Pasta e Basta for a dining experience to remember.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MzChief
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Nice and room and very nice lobby with bar.

Some noise from the street so try to get a room facing away from the busy street ( or higher than first floor) - location-wise it's perfect - 2 minutes from the best party & shopping streets and flower market. A cool cafe called P.King just across the street and on the corner.

1 Thank HALEXB2013