“Fantastic Hotel in a fabulous location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Albus

The Albus
Ranked #64 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“Fantastic Hotel in a fabulous location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had such an enjoyable stay at The Albus and could not find fault with it which is great for me as I am always seeing things that need improving. The staff were very friendly and could not be anymore helpful, from the cleaners to front desk to management. The two rooms we had were clean bright and very quiet, as we had requested. The nespresso machine in the rooms was such a treat, and the sights were all within a 15 minute walk. I found this hotel just like Amsterdam itself, Clean Bright, Friendly, and simple to find my way around. I will definitely stay here again when I return to this city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paula H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic couples weekend in Amsterdam staying at The Albus for my husbands 40th Birthday. Chic, designer hotel. Nice breakfast buffet, although restaurant is very small. Great touch having a coffee machine in the reception area. Bedrooms are lovely, very modern with comfy bed and the most amazingly comfortable pillows I have ever slept on! As a frequent traveller in the UK, Europe and US staying in 4 & 5 star hotels, this is a very good hotel and we will definitely be staying here again.
Couple of tips:
Our room was at the back of the hotel so very quiet, no street noise
Take extra hangers as there are no drawers, so storage is limited.
Chipsky King at the top of the street offers a good late night take out!
Make a reservation at nearby Pasta e Basta for a dining experience to remember.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MzChief
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Nice and room and very nice lobby with bar.

Some noise from the street so try to get a room facing away from the busy street ( or higher than first floor) - location-wise it's perfect - 2 minutes from the best party & shopping streets and flower market. A cool cafe called P.King just across the street and on the corner.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HALEXB2013
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at the Albus on a Friday night. I know Amsterdam pretty well but didn't know the Albus. Well, it is now our new favorite hotel in the centre. Our room was small but for the purpose we were there for it was fine. Looking forward to going back soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear precious guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments! It is a true honour to be your new favourite hotel in Amsterdam and we hope to welcome you back in the near future for another blissful stay in the Albus!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have stayed a number of times at the Albus and, without exception, have found this to be an excellent place to stay while visiting Amsterdam.

The location is excellent, the hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff are knowledgeable, professional and friendly. I have stayed in the rooms and in the apartments and am happy with the accommodation.

Recently, for the first time, I had dinner in the ‘Senses’ (I think) restaurant and I was very impressed. I was warmly greeted on arrival and quickly seated. The menu was explained in detail. I was guided to select dishes that I would not usually select. The food was promptly and professionally served, beautifully presented and, most importantly, was uniformly excellent.

I am a member of several frequent flyer and hotel loyalty programs and each one could learn lessons from the Albus in how to greet and treat their customers. In the almost 200 days I have been on the road in 2013 the Albus remains one of my top 2 favourite places to stay in the world.

A final word of commendation to the staff at the Albus who have mastered the art and science of treating everyone with a uniform level of professional courtesy while recognising the guest as an individual.

Well Done Albus – Keep it up.

Room Tip: Apartments are good - if you can get into one
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear valuable guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our procuct and our staff!

It has always been a real pleasure to have you as our guest and we all do hope to keep seeing you in our hotel and in Senses restaurant!

London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We arrived at the hotel to be told that we had been upgraded to an apartment. We were thankful of this and were excited to see where we would be staying. On entering the apartment, the corridors stank of cigarette smoke, the stairs were so steep, you couldn't fit your whole foot on each step so was extremely dangerous. On entering the actual apartment we were extremely disappointed as we had booked what we thought was a modern and new hotel. The apartment was extremely noisy mainly because the windows had no locks on them so it was hard to block out all of the noise, this also made me feel unsafe. The decor was not modern and the paint work was all chipped and in desperate need of refurbishment. The bedroom had two twin beds pushed together and the mattresses were uncomfortable and squeaky. We complained and the staff did not care, they had no rooms left so we either had to stay there or find somewhere else at our own expense. I have never been treated so appallingly by a hotel. We spent the next several hours trying to find a new hotel, which ended up being expensive. This situation ruined a large majority of what was supposed to be a fun weekend. I would strongly recommend NEVER staying at this hotel......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lauren C
Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, although we do not agree on several points as we have already discussed via e-mail.

I am very sorry that the apartment that was offered to you was not to your taste and that we were not able to move you to another room directly since we were fully booked.

I have replied to your last e-mail and I sincerely hope that you will accept our gesture of goodwill.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Having stayed at the Albus Hotel for one night, I found the reception's staff friendly and incredibly helpful. The mattress was too soft and the breakfast should be provided included in the room price, but I enjoyed my staying and could stay again next time I am in Amsterdam due to the location of the hotel and friendliness of their personnel.

Room Tip: Try to opt for a larger room than SmartCity if visiting as a couple, otherwise the room is on the sm...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business