“Hotel Citadel”

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
There are newer reviews for Hotel Citadel

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed here twice. The first time was New Year's Eve three years ago after excursions to Edinburgh and London. I arrived in Amsterdam late in the afternoon and walked here from Centraal Station. I checked in and was given a small, but efficient room in the front of the building. I went out and did the things I always do if I have a short time in Amsterdam: Van Gogh Museum, shopping and dinner. I wanted to go to the movies, but on New Year's Eve the cinemas are closed. I went back to my room and was asleep before 11pm, as I had an early flight the next morning. Amsterdam is crazy on New Year's Eve, but I didn't hear a thing. I woke refreshed, had a pleasant breakfast and walked back to Centraal Station.

This time, I stayed three nights and wish I'd stayed all five. My visit was separated by a week in Paris. This is a much nicer hotel than the one I stayed in the last two nights. I will be returning here. The only negative: the batteries in the remote control for the TV need to be replaced. I really enjoyed this hotel and will stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just got back from staying at this hotel. Very clean room however a bit noisy as we had a front room . The staff were all very pleasant, the breakfast was good. Would stay here again if we visit Amsterdam again.

Room Tip: Would suggest a room at the rear of the hotel as it would be much quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Citadel in Amsterdam for two nights in May 2013 and we would go back again. The room was not fancy but very adequate with two comfortable beds and nice big windows, which made it feel spacious. The location was great, in a nice area, and the lady at the front desk was wonderful to us. The price of the room was reasonable with breakfast included. Breakfast was pleasant and we even enjoyed a glass of wine in the lounge on one occasion and another time we had tea there in the afternoon. We were pleasantly surprised to find that there was no charge for the wine or the tea. Also the airlines had lost my luggage and the lady at the front desk watched out for it to be delivered and then brought it up to our room after nine at night. It was a pleasant stay for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PeggyDW
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked a single room for 1 night while travelling to Amsterdam for business. I picked this hotel due to location to train station.

The room was tiny and very noisy from the street traffic outside. The bed was small (a sleeping bag on the floor might have been more comfortable). Wifi did not work in room and only worked for a short time in reception, so I was unable to work. Breakfast was uninspiring. Very expensive for what you get.

Worst of all I was tricked into paying for the room prior to seeing it - probably as I would not have accepted the room if I had seen it first - do not make the same mistake!

Last time I stayed at the much more modern holiday inn express sloterdijk and it was much nicer with friendly staff, quiet rooms, working internet and a better breakfast - plus only a max 10 mins on train from central Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. Don't pay the bill till you have seen the room. Avoid a street facing room u...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jimbo1979
Reviewed August 14, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We spent 1 night before cruise. Had a room on the top floor looking over the street. Very comfortable and big windows letting in lots of air. Kept windows open all night letting in lots of warm air. Staff could be friendlier and breakfast OK but could be better quality. Beware: order your own taxi as we paid 20euros to go to passenger terminal - a 5 minute drive. They appear to call a private company and seem to know them well. Next time we will walk!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple